“ALASKA FISHING & LODGING CAN'T BE BEAT!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Soldotna
Alaska Fishing & Lodging
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We have been vacationing with Alaska Fishing and Lodging for the past several years, would think of going no where else. Tyland has superb knoweldge of the river, and when the kings are coming in, he will place you right on them. Thanks to Damon's help and patience last year, I was finally able to land a few reds, even when they were not coming in thick. The cabins are great, each with their own large gas bar-b-que on the deck, nothing like fresh salmon or halibut in the evening after a day of fishing! Saved quite a bit of money on the filleting, processing, and freezing, as Ty's facility is full service. The rooms are always immaculate on arrival, including fresh coffee ready to brew. Location is great, a short distance from both a large retail store, where you can get all of your groceries, extra gear, and licenses; and Stewart's Landing, where you get on the boat for a great day of fishing. Looking forward to another spectacular fishing trip this summer!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 January 2012

I have always wanted to take a "guided" fishing trip on the Kenai River, but the cost was a bit much for my budget. My husband has gone with other guides on the river that were at least twice as much as the trip we took with Ak Fishing and Lodging. I was super excited when my husband announced that we were going on a guided trip for my birthday, and I could still make my monthly mortage payment =0). Then I thought, it can't be that great at that price, but what the heck. Boy was I wrong !!!! The cabin we stayed in was gorgeous! Super roomy and SPOTLESSLY CLEAN! Lots of hot water for a well needed shower at the end of an amazing day of fishing. Our guide was Damond Blamkenship. He knew that river like the back of his hand and pulled out all the stops to get us on fish! He was a great teacher as well, and was very considerate of the fact he had "lady" on board. We would stay at Ak Fishing and Lodging again in a heart beat!!! THANX guys...FISH ON

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank LittleeddE
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Last June after our son returned from college we took him to Alaska Fishing & Lodging for a post finals mental vacation. How perfect this idea turned out for all of us. From the moment we arrived at the lodge we were made to feel we were at home. The atmosphere was relaxing and quiet but it was the efforts of Ty and his crew that really made him feel special. We had previously discussed his situation, finishing up his premed and moving on to dental school, and Ty was ready. I can not express my appreciation enough for the over the top effort everyone put forth.
This trip has been the main topic during this Christmas break as we flip through the photos from last summer and I keep getting reminded that his fish was bigger than mine. I am also being told to get use to this as last year was just a primer for this summer and many more to follow. Sound like I might need to dull someones hooks this summer!
Thanks again for such a great time and for going so far beyond what we could or should expect of our host and guide. This tip will be one of those long lasting memories just like we were hoping for. See you again this June.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Bob J
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Visited Alaska Fishing & Lodging with 5 other friends to celebrate a 40th birthday. We took two cabins. The cabins are very clean and have some great salmon mounts on the walls. Cabins contain a sleeping area, a bathroom with shower and a small kitchenette. Outside, there is a covered deck with a table & chairs and a BBQ.

We fished with Damon Blankenship, who is a great guide who works as a team with Tyland ("Ty"). Damon put our boat onto salmon & trout and is a great instructor who patiently gives suggestions / advice to ensure your catch rate goes up.

Our group enjoyed our entire stay; especially the fishing. We caught silvers, rainbows, dollies and we hooked two king salmon on our boat (but out of season so after a fight of a lifetime we had to immediately release the kings). Other highlights were eating fresh salmon prepared on our BBQ and all 6 of us eating together on the deck of our cabin. If you visit, suggest you have some pizza & local craft beers at the St. Elias Brewing Company in Soldotna. In addition, we visited Exit Glacier which was very cool.

Room Tip: Ty offers three cabins; all are identical.
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I wanted to preface this by saying that I never, although I should, post reviews about anything. However, I am inclined to do so regarding my recent trip to Alaska staying at Alaska Fishing & Lodging. This was the trip of a lifetime!!!! Ty and his staff are incredible!! The cabins are first class you won't feel you are roughing it at all. They are super clean (I have slight OCD), they are equipped with everything that you need and then some. As for the fishing, it is the best it can be. On our first day (we got a late start thanks to airline delays) we were hooked up within 10 minutes of wetting the line. The fish are great size and plentiful! If you are looking to book a trip with friends or even with a wife/gf, look no further let Ty show you how great the Kenai peninsula is and how much fish you can catch. As far as service and personality go, Ty exceeded every exception we could've had. I felt like I was letting him down when I could not land a fish, because he worked so hard to get us on them. As for those whom might feel the contrary, perhaps you should evaluate what your original expectations were and whether or not anyone might be able to fulfill them. Because if Ty cannot make you happy I don't think there is a guide out there that can. Good fishing!!!!!!

1  Thank Pablo_MetroPCS
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Best trip I have ever been on. The Kenia river is beautiful in August. Caught my limits everyday with the help of the very experienced, on-site guides, Damond and Ty. Even Ty's son Layton helps out with the family business by processing the fish, vacuum sealing at their own processing facility and freezing hours after catching fish.

You can tell that they take making memories and accommodations and service to their clients seriously. Ty's house is right there on-site and you can come to him about everything and he is always willing to help. Accommodations were excellent, and the prices unbeatable. I almost don't know how they do it. Hot, hot, hot showers. Every cabin has its own water heater. I have no idea what the last reviewer meant by bugs?? Beds were clean and comfortable. Screens on every window kept the bugs out. Satellite TV, internet, fridge, coffee maker, plenty of power outlets, grate in front of front door kept you from tracking dirt and mud into cabin. They even had a mosquito repelling candle on the front porch table. BBQing on the patio was great. You can tell they go to great length to make sure their customers are happy. They even had a back-up for the back-up propane tank for bbq. Cabin nicely decorated with wall mounted fish and a nice personal touch was added by adding photos of customers of the past, (if you catch a big enough fish you will be added too).

Ty owns his own boats and equipment. If you need rain gear, a rod to explore on your own, gold prospecting pans, lures ect, Ty is always more than willing to lend out. He has tons of gear in every size.

Damond was an outstanding guide. Always knew where to take us to catch the big salmon depending on time of day and tide. He was patient to show us the ropes and anxious to impart us with knowledge of local fishing and Alaska itself.

This was my first trip to Alaska and thanks to Ty and his team, (family which you become part of), it was a total success and will not be my last time. I will only stay with Ty and Alaska Fishing and Lodging. This is all great and dandy, but its the price that really gets you. You can pay at least 2 to 3 times more staying in other places.

Thanks gang. I look forward to seeing all of again soon:-)

Reviewed 27 June 2011

Ty, Bobby and Damon were excellent guides and hosts. They made us feel very welcome and helped us in many ways. They made us feel as if we were family and not strangers to them. Fishing was great; lodging was one of the nicest fishing accommodations I have ever stayed at. All in all, the trip was even more than we expected it to be.....a wonderful experience and Ty and his employees made it possible.

Room Tip: Make your reservations well in advance
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soldotna
Kenai River Lodge
Diamond M Ranch Resort
Salmon Catcher Lodge
Salmon Catcher Lodge
#4 of 18 in Kenai

Been to Alaska Fishing & Lodging? Share your experiences!