“Yet another great trip!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Soldotna
Alaska Fishing & Lodging
Ormond Beach, Florida
“Yet another great trip!”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I love these guys. This is my 4th trip with Alaska Fishing and Lodging. Tyland and Damond are THE BEST guides. This year we had Leyton as a 3rd guide, and he was a great addition!

I have reviewed these guys in the past and have little to add. The accomodations were the same. Comfortable, clean cabins. Don't expect super luxury or daily room service. Expect a practical, efficient, temperature controlled cabin, to add to a classic Alaskan experience. This place is perfect for the "father-son" trip.

As usual, Tyland, Damond,and now Leyton will do everything possible to make sure you get your fish. This might involve waking up fairly early, but it is worth it. My advice to the beginners/first timers. Be patient when trying to hook the sockeye salmon. The technique for catching sockeye takes a little time to get the hang of. But once you get it, it's easy...and really fun.

The Fishing and Game dept. didn't allow keeping the Kings this year.....again. Frustrating, but maybe that's the right thing to do. I hope the numbers for the King Salmon improve so that people can keep them again in the future. Tyland and Damond have found a way to adapt to the tough conditions established by Fishing and Game and made it fun for people to catch the Sockeye instead.

These guys are the best. I almost regret writing this review since I know it will only make them more popular. But if you have once chance to fish the Kenai, you can't go wrong with Alaska Fishing and Lodging.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Sheridan, Wyoming
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Thanks Ty, Damen and Leyton!! You guys made my first trip to Alaska a very memorable one. Always willing to take time to help us with anything we needed. Cabins are clean and comfortable, very quiet place yet close to everything you might need in Soldotna. Thanks again, the salmon are delicious, I will be back someday!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 July 2014

FIRST, let me say that Ty (Tyland Van Lier), and his team; Damen and Leyton- are the nicest and most genuine people you will ever meet! Their kindness is only surpassed by their knowledge, skill, and professionalism.

BACK STORY ... I am a woman from Philadelphia who knew little about Alaska, and even less about fishing! What I did know, was that I wanted to give my husband an "Experience" for his birthday this year. Not just any experience, but the one thing that has been on the top of his "Bucket list" for years; GOING SALMON FISHING IN ALASKA!

LONG STORY SHORT ... I GOOGLED top 5. I emailed top 5 with the purpose of this trip.
Ty was the first to reply with great fishing options that (due to my naivete) was like Greek to me!
His email said to call if he could be of any further help. So i did! :) He took the time to explain everything to me.

In the meantime, I heard from the other fishing camps, with similar fishing options, who were charging waayyy more. With that being said, cost really didn't matter. In the end, I based my decision on the way I was treated.

Ty at Alaska F & L was never condescending, showed great patience, and always returned my calls and emails promptly. I never felt like I was being hustled. He personally helped me coordinate my husband's entire experience.

THE EXPERIENCE WAS AWESOME! My husband was blown away!
Everything was exactly as it was presented:

The CABIN we stayed in was Great! Peaceful and quite. Really charming, exceptionally clean, and totally comfortable. We loved it! Close to shopping and dining, too!

HALIBUT and SOCKEYE SALMON fishing was amazing! The real-Deal. This was my first time fishing, and my husband and I both caught fish! :)

THE GLACIER CRUISE Ty helped me schedule was fantastic! Breath taking! We had a great time.

My husband said, "It was this trip was better than perfect." He is STILL THANKING ME!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank UEAug
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This is the best place to stay for a very reasonable price.

I just returned from staying with Ty and fishing for almost a week on the river. The location is close to town and the river while still quite and not in town. The stores are nearby and there is nightlife even closer. It feels more remote and secluded than it appears if you look at a map. The lodging is very nice and modern with clean cabins and well maintained property. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for fish and not break the bank. Also, Ty and Damien are great guides with patience to teach anyone. Ty is very accommodating and went the extra mile to help. I would return again.

Room Tip: Cabin #1 has a good WiFi signal, but all cabins are very nice.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Southern California
Reviewed 19 July 2014

So I have to start off by saying I did a lot of research and Alaska F & L had the most reasonable prices in my opinion and then there was the excellent customer service followed by the excellent reviews. And after our amazing experience I highly recommend Alaska F &L. My husband and I had an amazing experience fishing on the Kenai River. From day one Ty was awesome. I had so many questions and Ty was patient with me and helped me customize a 2 day fishing excursion. The first day we fished for trout on the Kenai River which was Catch and Release. Damond was our guide and was awesome. He is knowledgeable and makes sure you have an amazing time and while learning valuable techniques so it is a good idea to listen to his advice. When Ty tells you to dress in layers... He means layers. It was really cold in the morning and even though I thought my jacket was heavy duty it was not.. It then warmed up later in the day. But the Kenai River was so beautiful. The next day Ty arranged a fly out fishing trip and the company he went with Talon Air was awesome. To sum up our experience we fished with the bears for sockeye salmon. At the end of our trip, visiting the Kenai peninsula, we still had a journey to Denali National Park so Ty arranged our fish to be shipped home to us when we returned. I cannot wait to visit Alaska again and next time we are sticking to the Kenai peninsula and will book with them again and more than 2 days of fishing. We just had such an amazing experience. I mean amazing.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Angela O
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Our family stayed for 2 nights in cabin 1. We found it clean and comfortable. Grill for outdoor cooking and basic kitchen necessities inside. Cable tv with multiple channels, warm water for showers, and 4 single beds made a very relaxing stay. Saw a cow and baby moose multiple times during our stay! Neighborhood felt safe and location is very easy to find. We tried to fish the river with Damon, but we ended up on the wettest coldest day of the summer and our Florida bones were not having it so we called it an early day. Scenery was beautiful and Damon was great in the miserable weather. He would have stayed out all day if we wanted. Ty was super friendly and very helpful with recommendations for around town activities.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Amarillo, Texas
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have stayed with Tyland at Alaska Fishing and Lodging three times. The cabins are just right for a full day of fishing and sleep. They are clean and comfortable. Tyland arranges the fishing on the Kenai River, the lakes, out in Cooks Inlet, or on a fly-out trip. His guide partner Damien is very friendly,patient, and an excellent teacher. The fishing and lodging packages are very affordable and included fish processing which saves money and time each day. I highly recommend these guys for a great time in Alaska on the Kenai peninsula.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GreggB0765
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soldotna
Kenai River Lodge
#8 of 42 in Soldotna
Salmon Catcher Lodge
Salmon Catcher Lodge
#4 of 16 in Kenai

Been to Alaska Fishing & Lodging? Share your experiences!