“Best Fishing Yet!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Soldotna
Alaska Fishing & Lodging
Eden, Utah 84310
“Best Fishing Yet!”
Reviewed 17 March 2010

Have been fishing with Ty of Alaska Fishing and Lodging for the past several years, would think of going no where else now that we have found him. His fishing expertise is the best, and his knowledge of the area can not be surpassed. We fish every day while there, and always bring back to the lower 48 at least 100 lbs of fish per person to stock our freezer with. Ty takes the time to filet, pack, and freeze your catch of the day until your are ready to go back home, for a very minimal fee. The cabins are immaculate and comfortable, complete with a large propane barbeque and table on the deck to cook up some fresh sockeye or halibut. Must not forget to mention that Ty has a large supply of poles and waders, which he loans out at no charge for those that want to spend the day doing a little bit of fishing off the bank when the sockeye are coming in thick. We have never been disappointed yet with our catch, or Ty and his wife's wonderful hospitality. Would highly recommend Alaska Fishing and Lodging if you are looking for the fishing trip of a lifetime!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Anchorage
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Outstanding trip this past summer! Took some outside frined on an Alaskan fishing safari. Ty lined us up with a halibut trip that proved to be fruitful and then a flight across the inlet for reds, finally with two days on the Kenai, we had a ball. I fish for fun and enjoyment, the young folks I brought with me were really into the fishing, We all caught fish but my young friend Anthony got a wall hanger.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
Chicago
Reviewed 4 March 2010

My father and I have been fishing with Ty for the past 6 years. After the first trip we knew we found the last guide we will ever need in Alaska. I was looking for someone who would not only put us on fish, which Tyland ALWAYS does, but more importantly, one who would take care of my father and make his trips memorable. Ty and Tina treated us like family from the first day. In fact, they treat him as if he was their own father. For that I will always be grateful. The huge bonus is that we catch more fish with Ty than with any guide we have ever fished. If we are in a slow area, he is on the phone with his network of "eyes on the water" finding out where the fish are. Before we know it, we are right on top of them with tight lines. To get a feel for what we have experienced, go to www.alaskafishingandlodging.com and slelct the Sockeye link. There is a picture of my friend, my father and I with a load of sockeye at our feet. The picture is easy to find, look for the bearded guy with the blaze orange jacket and purple shirt on the left. Simply put, if you are going to spend the money to go to Alaska to fish, you will get the most out of it with Tyland. He is the best! If you would like more information on Ty please feel free to call me at [--] and I will be happy to elaborate.

• Stayed July 2008
1 Thank FishingNutChicago
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 2 March 2010

I'm glad they don't have a maximum for length. This may run a bit long, but it will need to to do this trip justice. My best friend and I decided that we were going to go fishing in Alaska. We do a lot of fishing on the Texas Coast, but I knew he would absolutely love Alaska. I had been once before several years ago, but did not have any luck with the one day of fishing that we did on the Kasiloff River. That trip was set-up by my brother-in-law that lived in Alaska, so I really didn't know where to start looking. I started contacting multiple outfitters to try to get some help. While everyone that I spoke with were helpful; Tyland Van Lier went above and beyond to get my business. All of his communication was very helpful, and he genuinely seemed to want my business; but more importantly, he wanted us to have the trip of a lifetime that we would never forget. To be quite honest, there were a few outfitters I spoke with that didn't really seem to care if they did business with us or not. At any rate; it was Ty's enthusiasm that mad me decide to use his services...we were definitely not dissappointed. Before the trip, I spoke several times with Ty to get all the logistics down, and put together the exact trip that we wanted. He bent over backwards to get everything squeezed into the short week that we were there; and at a time when our economy was at its worse, he did it in a very affordable manner. We flew into Anchorage on a saturday evening, and spent the night there. We drove down to Whittier on Sunday, and took a Glacier Cruise. I highly recommend this to anyone if they have the time. We did not set this up through Ty, it was a last minute idea as we drove to Seward; but I do believe he is offering options for this now. Our first fishing day was for Halibut and Silver Salmon out of Seward. Ty set this up for us through Puffin Charters, and it was amazing. We caught our limit of Silver Salmon, Halibut, and a few Cod and Black Cod. We then drove that night to Ty's Lodge in Soldotna. The cabins here are awesome. Don't be fooled, its not the Ritz Carleton, but nor did we want it to be. We came to fish in Alaska, and be part of the wilderness...and thats exactly what we wanted. However, everything was spacious, clean and comfortable. There are three cabins along the grounds, as well as Ty's house and Garage/work shop. The great thing about this is that while you are there, you are part of his family. On Tuesday; Ty had set up a fly-out trip for us. We loaded up on a float plain in Nikiski, and flew over the Cook Inlet to Wolverine Creek. We boarded a small john boat with our guide Badger. We easily caught our limit of Sockeye Salmon, and patiently waited for the bears to come out for viewing. They didn't seem to want to cooperate, so Badger took us around for some sight seeing. We got to see some great waterfalls, and other various nature scenes. We went back for a last chance viewing of the bears, and we got to see a small Black Bear and a young Brown Bear. We even followed the Brown Bear around the shoreline for a bit. Badger set us up on a point, and the Brown Bear came out about 4 feet from us. The next two days were set up for catching King Salmon on the Kenai River. We spent the first day out on the water all day. The fishing was hard for the entire river, and our boat caught one hen King Salmon. It was much the same the second day; but instead of keeping us out all day on the Kenai, Ty set us up with Richie to fish on the Kasiloff for the second half of the day. Again, no Kings, but it was not for a lack of trying. Being a conservationist as well, Ty and I had many discussions about this. Alaska and Texas do some of the same horrible practices. There is more consideration given to commercial fisherman than to sport fisherman...even though sport fishing generates much more revenue. The commercial fisherman had been allowed to stay at the mouth of the river much longer last year, and it had a major impact on the King and Sockeye Salmon. On Friday, Ty again set us up with Richie to go further up the Kenai and fish for Sockeye. We stood on a bank of the river (which we had to chase a Bear of of at dawn), and had a great day catching our full limits of Sockeye Salmon. It was very sad to see that since the fishing for the Kings on the lower Kenai was hard, that some of the guides had taken their customers up to the King's breeding grounds. Once the fish are this high in the river, they are inedible, and even released fish will probably die before they have a chance to spawn. I ask anyone to please say no if their guide offers this option to you. If you fish with Alaska Fishing and Lodging, it won't even be an option. Please let these fish breed so my children will be able to enjoy these fishing waters in the future. Friday night, there were some local MMA fights and Ty asked us if we wanted to go. Being fight fans, we gladly joined him and his group of local friends. This was one of the highlights of our trip, and we were treated like family by Ty and all of his friends. Saturday morning brought an end to our trip...and still no King Salmon. Ty offered to take us out for 3 hours before we had to leave, free of charge. Just another example of him going above and beyond to moake out trip exceptional. On the last cast of the last drift, my friend caught a 60 pound buck King Salmon. After a 15 minute fight, the fish was in the boat. One of the best things Ty has going on, is that you can package and freeze your fish at his place. As long as you help him, he has no problem doing this. If anyone has had to pay to have their fish processed, then you know the several hundred dollars that you will save by doing this. Many places promise that you get your own fish back, but you know 100% that its your fish when you are packaging it yourself. It was sad to leave, but we were going home with a LOT of fish, and an unmeasurable amount of memories. Some of the best memories came after the fishing was done. We would all sit out in Ty's yard, smoking cigars, and just talking. We even saw a female moose come into the yard one night. We went out to dinner with Ty and his wife one night, and even got to drive his boat on a few occasions...poorly I might add, that tiller was backwards!!! I can't say enough about Tyland Van Lier and Alaska Fishing and Lodging. You could go with another guide, and probably have a good time; but I know for a fact that if you fish with Tyland, you will go home very happy. We were so amazed with the entire trip; we are doing the"Once In A Lifetime" trip AGAIN this year.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 19 June 2009

While there are many guides’ services available on the Kenai River, it’s hard to imagine many who have such a complete package of skills, dedication and passion. Tyland VanLier, owner of Alaskan Fishing and Lodging, brings 20+ years of Kenai River fishing experience to those using his services. His knowledge and hard work can put you on fish even when fishing is not at its best. He is a man who, even after decades on the river, still has a love for fishing and enjoys sharing many of his stories with you. I had the opportunity to return to the Kenai for king salmon with my grandson this spring. After calling many guide services, Ty won me over with his enthusiasm, he especially was eager to give kids a great first experience (which is not the case with all guides). Ty set us up with a package that included a full day of fishing and accommodations in one of three newly built cabins. The cabins were clean, comfortable, and have a nice outdoor deck and gas grill. We knew things were a little early on the river for kings, but Ty worked it hard and each of the two boys in the boat landed a beautiful 35 pound king. Of the 6 fish we heard were caught that day, two were in our boat. Here’s a guy that is proud of his operation, has a big heart, and will do all he can to make sure you have the best experience possible. Sure you can pay more with guys who spend a lot more in advertising, but if you want some really nice accommodations, a family friendly atmosphere, and a guide who knows how to find and catch fish, then Alaskan Fishing and Lodging is the place for you.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank WidgeonDC
Kalispell, Montana USA
Reviewed 12 August 2008

We just returned from a wonderful Alaskan experience with our teenage grandson. We have taken each of our grandchildren on a "special one-on-one trip" and our grandson wanted to see wildlife and catch fish...so Alaska was an easy choice. Trying to find a place that would allow him to get in lots of fishing without having to worry about all of the fishing equipment, where to go, local fishing rules, etc. plus wanting to find comfortable accommodations for "us old folks" wasn't as easy. That is, until we found Alaska Fishing & Lodging. Their website is extremely informative and after talking with the owner, Tyland Van Lier, we made the decision to stay there. We were so very pleased to find our cabin (one of three) to be even more than we had expected. It was a lovely, roomy, log cabin with four comfortable single beds, microwave, refrigerator, television and coffee maker. Every inch of the cabin was spotless and not at all what I thought a "fishing cabin" would be like. It was decorated in a "non-hokey" cabin theme and even included a set of moose horns and a king salmon mount on the walls. The cabin had a front porch on which a barbecue, table and chairs were just waiting for us to bring home fish for our dinner...which we did. We fished the Kenai River with Ty and another guide, Bob, for two days and had a wonderful and quite a successful time. We all caught lots of salmon but our grandson won the title of "Catching the Biggest" which truly made his trip. A bonus was being able to enjoy the beautiful scenery and seeing bald eagles perched atop tall trees or soaring through the sky. The guides, the boats, the equipment and fortunately, the weather were all perfect. Alaska Fishing & Lodging is located just a short distance from Soldotna's many restaurants and stores(close enough to be convenient and yet far enough away from the hub-bub). The cabins and the guided fishing charters can be booked separately or as a package. We found the three night package at about $1200. to be a very good value. Our experience with the accommodations and the fishing was one that will be remembered for a long time by all of us but especially our grandson...what wonderful Alaskan memories. We hope to make a return trip in the near future.

• Liked — cleanliness, location
  • Disliked — 0
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank DandB123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soldotna
Kenai River Lodge
#8 of 42 in Soldotna
Salmon Catcher Lodge
Salmon Catcher Lodge
#4 of 16 in Kenai

Been to Alaska Fishing & Lodging? Share your experiences!