Orca Lodge
US$171
US$157
Best Western King Salmon Motel(Soldotna)(Great Value!)
US$174
US$169
Kenai River Lodge(Soldotna)(Great Value!)
US$158
Soldotna Inn(Soldotna)
US$147
US$137
US$116
Aspen Extended Stay Suites(Kenai)(Great Value!)
US$169
US$129
All reviewssingle bedfish tacostelling storiesfull kitchenfire pitfishing equipmentfishing tripsalmonthe riverjenniferloftbarbecuingwadersgashostssceneryrods
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Four of us went to Orca Lodge for a "Men's Getaway". The Lodge is made up of 6 or 7 individual cabins each with a double (maybe queen) bed and a single bed down and a double and a single in a loft (have to climb a ladder to get to loft). All beds were "adequate" but Motel 6 quality....Furnishings were "sparse": 4 beds (as noted) and a small dining table - No TV (not really a problem) or WiFi or couch. They do not come in and clean during the week (I believe she did come in and "make" the beds a few days but this was the extent of "housekeeping". So at the end of one week the cabin is "well lived in". Would have been nice if they would go in and clean the bathroom, straighten and maybe vacuum as well as make beds - but they don't. For $300/nite you would think they could....They have a very nice camp fire area that you can sit around at night that has plenty of wood and nice picnic tables with gas grills (very nice touch). They have a dock for catching fish and everything you need to fish (including waders). Dock and equipment was well maintained. People were very friendly and helpful - made all fishing reservations for us and gave us explicit directions and times for each day. Overall we enjoyed our stay very much at Orca Lodge - I feel for $300/nite there should be daily housekeeping and better amenities in the cabins (this is the only reason I didn't rank 5). Very close to town. Town had bad food at expensive pricing - there is a micro brewery there that serves great pizza and handcrafted beers. Decent sports bar (Buckets) had good food. Definitely would stay here again if with all guys - would not stay here with my wife....

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BrianTheTraveler77
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I've stayed at Orca for the last six years or so with anywhere from 2 to 8 people. Cabins could not be better. Include modern bathroom and good kitchen. Sleep two people each perfectly. Patty goes out of her way to do whatever needs to be done.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I just got back from a week long trip fishing/boat touring/hiking/exploring the Kenai Peninsula. It was our first time there and thank god we stayed at Orca Lodge. Our cabin was clean and comfortable and truly fit our every mood. When we came back after a long day out on the river in the rain and constant wind, our cabin offered warm, relaxing solitude. When we returned from a successful fishing trip and were excited to share our stories, we could sit around the fire pit with the other visitors and exchange embellished fish tales. When I had a hankering for more fishing, I could grab one of the rods the orca provides and hit the river. Best of all, when needing to unwind at the end of the day, I could grab a chair and sit on the cabin front porch facing in to the setting sun, reading a book with the sound and views of the Kenai river which flows not more than 30ft from the cabins. (It was also great to be able to grill our salmon each night on the grills Orca provides). It is a great and well run lodge in a phenomenal location right on the river, making you feel like you are miles from town, which is in fact only about a 3min drive down the road.

Orca Lodge is run by an incredibly warm and engaging woman, Patty, who truly cares about your experience. She is always eager to offer advice on places to go or things to do. I dont think a day went by when I didn't run in to Patty and she would have me give the run down on how our day was and what we did. She is integral in making Orca Lodge so inviting. Orca Lodge enhanced our trip in so many ways and I would highly recommend it. I am already starting to plan my trip next summer.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jfxdoyle
Reviewed 16 September 2011

There is no place better in Alaska for scenery, fishing or hospitality! I have been fishing on the Kenai over 20 times and this place is the best! Patti is the most wonderful host and they have the best guides! We always catch plenty of fish and at the end of the day we sit around the campfire eat smoked salmon and enjoy the most beautiful view in the world besides the one at Wrigley Field! You will be fortunate to stay at the Orca Lodge!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 23 February 2011

Orca Lodge is on the bank of the Kenai River only 5 minutes from the town of Soldatna, AK. Each cabin faces the river. It's not wilderness but has an isolated feel. The large cabins each have a kitchenette with stove, oven, 8 cup coffee maker and small refrigerator. A 2lb can of ground coffee is provided. Bring your own drinking water as the tap water has a sulfur smell and taste. The loft with two beds is reached via a "ships ladder". The older I get the harder it is to get down the ladder. There is a queen size? and single bed on the main level. Orca has a nice campfire area with picnic tables and barbeques. You can borrow bbq utensils and even some spices. Patty, your gracious hostess, will lend you standard size ice chests (and provide free ice) for your fishing trip or picnic. There is a computer to check your email. Patty is a native Alaskan who knows almost all of the local guides and will match you with guides for a perfect day of fishing the Kenai, or for halibut or a fly-out over the Cook Inlet. Orca will also lend you fishing waders and boots and you can use their tackle to ""flip for reds" (red salmon) right off the Orca Lodge dock. I've been there in July and August and I hate mosquitoes and I can say they have not been a problem. A few mosquitoes in July but very few after August 1. The lodging costs are very reasonable for Alaska. The proximity of a Safeway and a Fred Myers in Soldatna makes it easy to keep costs down by barbequing at the lodge. There is also a great brew pub in Soldatna. For price, amenities and proximity to the best of the Kenai Peninsula, Orca Lodge is hard to beat.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends