“Grumpy, stressed-out management”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Soldotna
Kenai Riverfront Resort, Inc.
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

After our check for $128 for just one-night's stay went through before we even arrived, I expected and was looking forward to superb kid-friendly service for my four kids. Upon arriving, we learned that Cindy had forgotten we were even coming (and this was after speaking with her on the phone three nights previously). Fortunately, management had not given away our RV spot. Cindy and her husband seemed very nice; they smiled and shook our hands. After I decided to put their forgetfulness behind us, I asked and Cindy promised that she would look into the possibility of a late check-out the next day so that we could take advantage of fishing at her resort. After settling in and getting hooked up, my wife and kids accompanied me down to the beach for some dipnetting where I had some good success. We came back to Cindy's RV park and I began to clean the seven fish I had caught (on the cleaning table which I was told, 'you are free to use anytime'). Well, poor communication I guess but Cindy did not seem happy that I was cleaning fish: she did not say it, but I think she had meant she only wanted fish cleaned that we caught at her resort. Silly me for supposing that $128 for one night's stay might cover the cost of using her cleaning table! That night around 9:00 after a long day, my one year old understandably cried loudly for about 15 minutes before he fell asleep. Well here comes Cindy's husband running out to see if everything was OK (and he did not look happy). I suppose he was worried we might disturb the wealthy retired couples that were staying in the main house. To be honest, I think maybe he had forgotten what 'kid friendly' means. While fishing the next day before it was time to check out and leave, I had some more success and caught a rainbow on a fly at the RV resort. My boys were playing behind me, away from the bank (being the safe Dad I think I usually am, I was making sure my boys were on the lawn, well away from the swift current). Cindy rages out onto the bank, telling me, 'Your kids MUST have life jackets on!' I calmly explained to her that, yes, my daughter who is fishing on the bank with me does indeed have a life jacket on; my boys who are not even near the bank are not wearing life jackets because they are not in any danger. She was not happy with my explanation, telling me that they had some scares with other kids previously. I said that I understood, and that if my boys went anywhere near the bank, I would put life jackets on them. At this point, I just wanted to leave Cindy's place. I did not care about a late check-out. Cindy had forgotten to let us know if we could leave late anyway; I hooked up our RV and we left. On the way home, my wife and I agreed that Cindy and her husband seemed more concerned about pleasing the wealthy clientele at the resort - and with CYA legal stuff such as waivers and life jackets - than with treating us with respect. I won't ever drop $128 for one night's stay at her resort in the future. I recommend you don't waste your money at Cindy's place either.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Jason M
KenaiRiverfront, Owner at Kenai Riverfront Resort, Inc., responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2015

Most disappointing 1 night guests ever! For nearly 15 years we've made EXTRA efforts to not only WELCOME guests traveling with kids, but do all we can to ensure they have a good, safe camping and fishing experience--often going above and beyond to help teach first time kids how to fish salmon, fillet fish, offer them use of camp toys, bikes, etc. or just sing together by the campfire and make S'mores. This family was different. The main couple and an extra adult woman (sister?) all seemed grumpy from the start like there was some family drama going on. They had several (4) very young children and they had mentioned this was their first time pulling a rented camper and staying in an RV Park (perhaps adding to their stress) so I made extra efforts to help them park and get set up--even backing their rig in for them. We had their site reserved--we never "forgot" they were coming. It's tough to really relax when you only stay someplace for one night, but we are always as flexible as possible with late check outs as long as it doesn't negatively impact another guest. As for the "life jacket" incident. We have a clear camp policy that every child that is on the shore must have a life jacket on if they are 13 or under. The only reason we went to check on them was because another guest came and alerted us that one of the young children around age 5 was on the floating dock unattended and didn't have a life jacket on. When that guest tried to alert one of the women in the party that the child was on the dock she simply said "It's not my child." Meanwhile, the young boy was clearly unsupervised, down river from his father, who was watching 2 other kids and wouldn't have been able to save the boy if he fell in. We were only trying to help in response to another guest's clear concern. Kids (and adults) drown in this 80 mile swift flowing river nearly every year and we've had a perfect safety record on our shore that we don't want to break. Had this guest been brave enough to raise any of their accusatory concerns to us in person we would have done anything possible to ensure they had a good camping experience--including fully refunding them--but clearly they had other things going on that were beyond our control.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

After requesting a "FULL HOOK-UP SITE" in writing February 2013, and after paying $3,515 in advance for a two-month stay, we arrived only to see that there was electric only (that’s right -- approx. $58/night for electric only!). Who in the world would stay 2 months to go fishing and clamming, can & smoke fish, etc., where there aren't full hook-ups? On top of this, we were lied to by the owner. We finally received a 90% refund and found the most wonderful RV park for our stay. After all of their shenanigans, this place is lucky we didn't take them to court for the remaining 10%. Be sure to ask the right questions, clarify every possible concern and get EVERYTHING in writing before you pay these people a dime.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Fishtopkat
KenaiRiverfront, Owner at Kenai Riverfront Resort, Inc., responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

This is the first & only negative review we've received from a guest in 11 years of operation, please don't believe it for a second! This guest booked an RV site very quickly and simply didn't listen to exactly what we offered in terms of electric, water & septic with our RV campsites. We have never had septic on-site for RVs due to our riverfront location and we wouldn't mislead a guest in that regard, ever, it would be of no benefit to do so. We want happy guests, not guests showing up angry, and we sincerely strive to go above and beyond to communicate clearly with our guests during the reservation process. We have no idea why they would write such a negative review months later when we accommodated their last minute change of heart on arrival by refunding them above & beyond our normal cancellation policy. Sad to see the Internet used as a malicious tool like this.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Wife and I just got back from a week at Riverfront and had a spectacular time. Weather was great, fishing was great, and Jim & Cindy were as hospitable as ever - even more! Since last year they have upgraded the suite with new beds and an overall face-lift. The suite is intimate, comfortable, and has all the amenities that one can expect. As far as fishing, the Sockeye's were running and at Kenai Riverfront you have plenty of private room to spread out and fish for these hard-fighting, great eating salmon. After catching our share, Jim & Cindy threw us an incredible banquet on their front porch complete with salmon appetizers and a grilled salmon main course that I still dream about. I am going to try to duplicate the recipe, but I can't duplicate Jim's skill with the the grill.

I wouldn't think of staying anywhere else and am already looking forward to our trip in 2014. My ratings are all 5's because it's the best resort on the river.

Jeff, Deb, and Jeffrey Mastro
Duvall, WA

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Jeff M

Always a pleasure to have your family stay with us, what a great summer it was! We look forward to your next visit in 2015 if not sooner....thanks for taking the time to write this kind review after your stay this past July. Enjoy all that Salmon this winter!

Reviewed 26 June 2013

We stayed at this property for 1 night in June when the owners were not around. Spoke with Jim (the owner) and he agreed to let us stay on the property.
We arrived a little late in the day but because of the continuous sunlight and the precise directions that Jim gave us over the phone, we were OK in finding our way around the property.

As soon as we arrived we found a large fire-pit full of firewood waiting to be lit. We had a great camp-fire and cooked corn and chicken on the open fire. Our 3-year old had a lot of fun singing songs around the fire. Since we were the only ones on the property we enjoyed it to the fullest.

The property is located on the banks of the Kenai River and has steps leading down to the water.
Though we did not fish here, it is perfectly located for those that would want to.

There is a clean shower available inside the main-house for guests to use and Jim graciously allowed us to use the sauna too (though we did not)

All-in-all, it was a great experience and a wonderful property. Definitely recommended for those that wish to fish at a great spot and still stay away from the crowds.

Room Tip: The RV spots closest to the river are the best. There is no sewage dumping facility so make sure you...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Ides_of_tides
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We stayed just one night in September 2012, but Sandy & Jim made us feel so welcome and were very accommodating so that my husband could get his fishing experience on the Kenai River even though it was the end of the season. He liked the fishing on the Kenai in the Saldotna River Park too that Sandy recommended because the salmon just kept biting! Sandy gave us information on things to do and see that was extremely helpful. This was a great part of our 40th anniversary trip!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TexasChris72
Reviewed 19 July 2012

My wife and I just returned from an awesome week at Kenai Riverfront and cannot say enough great things about our stay. It started with our initial contact with the owners, Jim & Cindy Nelson, to arrange our trip. They promptly supplied us with all the information we needed and cheerfully answered all of our questions. They took care of everything including booking our fishing guide and suggesting other activities available such as a scenic, fly-in fishing package or chasing halibut in Cook Inlet. We booked the Riverfront Suite and were pleasantly surprised with not only the accommodations - which are fantastic - but also the friendliness and attention to detail that the whole Nelson family showed us. The suite was fully appointed with a refrigerator, microwave, shower, and warm, comfortable beds. With a Finnish sauna just outside our door, we had everything we could possibly want. They gave us a tour of the facilities and showed us how to fish for the Sockeye (Red) salmon that were moving up the river. Oh, and did I mention that the Kenai River is about 100 feet from where you sleep? It was so nice to wake up in the morning, walk a few feet to the river and start catching 10 pound Red salmon before breakfast! Kenai Riverfront really is the whole package and we could not have been happier with our stay.

We love Alaska and we love the Kenai. Now that we have stayed at Kenai Riverfront with the Nelson's, we will never stay anywhere else.

Jeff and Deb

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jeff M
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We had the best time staying at Kenai Riverfront Resort! We (my husband and I and two teenage boys) stayed one night on our way to Homer. Because we had such wonderful hosts and because this resort is not only RV friendly, it's family and fishing friendly too, we cancelled our reservation at the "other" place when we came back through. We stayed with them two more nights. The wonderful community campfire patio (that overlooks the amazing Kenai) brings the guests together after a long day of traveling and fishing. The way the property is laid out, the ability to take a few steps to riverfront fishing, and the shower and sauna amenities, made us feel like we could stay there forever. Jim and Cindy and their kids made us feel like we have been friends for ages. Being experienced Alskans, they offer great fishing advice, travel information, and did I say they are great hosts? We hope to see the Nelson's again in two years for more memorable Alaskan experiences and deep fried coconut red salmon. Thanks Nelsons!! The Harris Bunch.

Room Tip: Residential property that has RV spots & feels like you have good neighbors.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family