“Bob's Cabin made my trip one for my record book!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Soldotna
Bob's Cabin & Guide Service
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Ventured to the Kenai Peninsula solo. This trip was awesome! Bob Standish of Bob's Cabin and Guide Service is an outstanding guide and host. Bob kept in continuous e-mail and phone contact. Bob made sure that, even though there were unfortunately no King Salmon in the area to fish, that you were still going to have a great day of guided fishing. Bob went out of his way to make sure that I was scheduled to catch fish! Had an awesome unscheduled flyout trip for Sockey. Had two days of Halibut fishing with Aaron Mahoney of Alaska Gulf Coast Expeditions. Aaron really knows what he is doing and has a great crew! Seward rock fishing was outstanding too! Oh and let's not forget Kathy! Kathy made sure I had clear and easy to follow directions to get to where I had to get to. Kathy runs a very clean lodge. The kitchen was always clean and smelling yummy. All the rooms at the main lodge were very clean and tidy. Not even any dust detected, even on any of the logs that make up the lodge! Slept great with the comfortable beds and cool breeze blowing through the windows. Thank you again Kathy for all the great breakfasts and lunches. All my fish was well cared for, vacuum sealed and frozen, then shipped to my door step. Almost forgot to mention Steve! Steve assisted Bob in preping my fish for shipping. Steve took time to talk and I just felt like I was at home. Bob's crew really made my Alaska experience unforgetable. My money was very well spent. I will definitely return to the Kenai peninsula if I can stay at Bob's Cabin!

Room Tip: Main lodge rooms are comfortable. Would not suggest for more than about 2 people. A child could st...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Bob's Cabin & Guide Service

Reviewed 1 August 2012

We visited Bob’s Cabins and stayed at the Soldotna Riverfront Log House. We were a party of 7, my family of 5 (three teens) and my parents. The cabin was very nice but Bob’s staff made the vacation rental the success that it was. We had 4 people in our party who wanted to fish and 3 people in our party who wanted to sightsee. It was a difficult combination as most rentals on the Kenai River cater to fishermen in July and expect to sell guided fishing tours. It was difficult to find a location that would give us the flexibility to make everyone happy. Starting with my very first contact with Bob he worked with me to make sure I could fill everyone’s wish list. He did ask us to book a minimum number of guided trips, but was flexible in scheduling so that the 4 people who wanted to fish used up the bulk of them. Things worked out perfectly. His willingness to work with our group made this vacation a success. He called and sent several e-mails to me during the long wait for our vacation to arrive and was very helpful in making sure all my questions were answered. We booked a multi-species trip out of Seward, King fishing on the Kenai, a Fly Out to the Kustatan River, and an Upper Kenai River Drift. Upon arrival Bob’s staff informed us that the Kings had not made their way into the river yet. Rather than take us out and not catch any Kings, they’d rather reschedule us on another trip. We choose the Halibut trip. I thought this was very ethical and appreciated their honesty. We went during this time to get a king – but you can’t control Mother Nature! I am going to review each guided tour separately – but wanted to add that Bob was very concerned that we were having a good time and went out of his way to make sure we got the service that we deserved. He was an outstanding host. Steve was part of Bob’s staff and he was in charge of making sure we had all that we needed at the group of cabins we were staying at. He provided outstanding service to all three groups. Next door to the riverfront log cabin are two other cabins, one of which had a Grandfather, a mother and a grandchild. I appreciated the time he took to show that young kid how to fish successfully off the dock. The grandfather was a bit grouchy, so it would have been easy to pass them off. But Steve could tell it was an important trip for the grandfather to show his grandchild Alaska and he helped make that a success. We enjoyed every minute we spent at the Riverfront Cabin and I highly recommend Bob’s if you are looking for a GREAT EXPERIENCE!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I had a terrible experience with this Resort.
Fishing gear was a mess at the riverfront cabins.
Pretty hard to catch sockeye salmon with the wrong gear
Waders leaked
Gas grills were cheap and burnt all of our fresh halibut fillets
Fishing was not as advertised, overcrowded
No shades in the rooms so I couldn't sleep
Kept making up excuses to charge us more money
They ran my credit card without my approval.
The owners were not friendly or helpful
They charged me $20 for wifi, even though is was supposed to be included.
Password: riverfront
They didn't meet my expectations. I was disappointed and won't be back to Bob's

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank scott k
fishguide, Owner at Bob's Cabin & Guide Service, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2012

Well, like they say, "You can't please everyone". Mr Kirkpatrick complained about everything from the minute he arrived at his cabin. There were no sockeye salmon running in the Lower Kenai River at the time (June). This is why they did not catch sockeye. You can't catch sockeye, if they are not in the river at the time you are fishing. Steve set them up with brand new spining rods and he still was not happy. There are normally several pairs of waders available at any one time for the guests to use. They are only 1 year old. No one in his group complained about leaking waders, as far as I know.

He had a brand new gas grill at his cabin; maybe used 3 or 4 times this season, at the most. Everyone else staying at that cabin has been very happy with the grill.

There are brand new pull down black-out shades in the bedrooms.

Mr Kirkpatrick's credit card was charged for an additional trip that he selected to participate in. He was given advance notice of the additional charge; both verbally and in writing.

We try our hardest to please everyone, but like they say, "You can't please everyone".

Reviewed 8 July 2012

The accomodations were excellent- large comfortable rooms. Hospitality was first class. Bob and Kathy did everything they could to make sure we had clear directions, guide phone numbers and great lunches.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I have been to Alaska several times and this trip was the best. I loved the cabin- spascious, confortable, very accomodating for my family and wonderful front and back porch. Out my back door was the beautiful Kenai River. I was relieved we would not have to eat out. Had a great kitchen making meals very easy. The fishing trips were spectacular. This is the first vacation I can say I was not ready to go back home. I am planning my next trip to Alaska for next year and this is definitely the place I will be staying.

Room Tip: Just as Bob what type of lodging would be best for your family- his cabins will accomodate all.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2012

This was our first trip to Alaska and ranks as the best ever! The cabin was very clean and comfortable and equipped with every need. We were able to relax after a day of fishing with a beutiful setting right on the Kenai River. Bob and Cathy made everthing worry free by organizing and explaining our itinerary, giving great directions and answering questions about our fishing trips, and taking care of the fish we caught. Their location worked out well for the proximity to the variety of the fishing trips we took also. I would highly recommend staying with them and will definitely stay there again when we get back to Alaska. Thanks again for a great vacation.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Our church gave us the privilege of visiting Alaska to fish and sight see as a 25th anniversary gift. My wife did all the trip research and settled on Bob's after a great deal of reading and study. We found every aspect of our time with Bob and his staff to be FIRST CLASS. Bob is an exceptional steward of nature and pays attention to the ethics of his profession. If more people had Bob's committment to care for the natural resources of Alaska, the fishing and hunting would not see a decline. Bob is also a good judge of human nature and his staff reflect his ability to build and motivate a great support team. The guides he sent us with were top notch at their specific skill sets. The room service and food was great. We would not hesitate to book another trip with Bob if we were able to do so.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soldotna
Kenai River Lodge
#4 of 18 in Kenai
A Cabin by the Pond
A Cabin by the Pond
#12 of 44 in Soldotna

Been to Bob's Cabin & Guide Service? Share your experiences!