“Don't Bother Going Anywhere Else”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Soldotna
Bob's Cabin & Guide Service
“Don't Bother Going Anywhere Else”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I have visited Bob's Cabins several times now with immediate and extended family and am always thrilled with the experience. Bob is a fantastic guide all on his own, but also makes sure to set you up with the best people in town for all of your other fishing needs. The cabins themselves are gorgeous, quiet, with TV and internet, and with beautiful views. Bob has always treated my family like his family, the dogs are great, and you get deliciously stuffed lunch bags!

Perhaps most importantly, Bob follows rules to ensure that salmon populations remain healthy in the Kenai for years to come, which we can all appreciate.

Bottom line: Skip the cruise, and just go straight to the Kenai for some fishing with Bob!

Room Tip: Just let Bob know how many people you'll have, and he'll have the cabin for you! He has acco...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Kelsey W

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Andover, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

This trip to Alaska came about because my Father-in-law is getting older and it was the #1 thing on his “list”. This was our big family vacation so it included my father in law, my husband (not an avid fisherman) and my son who is 3, and me. I have been to Alaska before so I did have some idea about Alaska (how remote, expensive, things can be). We were looking for a family friendly vacation that had a good amount of time set aside to fish. We planned this trip on fairly short notice (3-4 months) so finding accommodation for our family with 2 bedrooms wasn’t simple.
Side note: I am a very seasoned traveler so I use Trip Advisor all the time to help determine where I will stay on business but primarily for my personal travel. I typically do 20 business trips a yr and 6 personal trips a year… for context (and should post more reviews!).
We started our trip by staying 5 days in Anchorage (Residence Inn), it was perfect for the family. We spent time in Palmer visiting the state fair, reindeer farm, musk ox farm and other cool local destinations. We also spent time in the Anchorage museums- very fascinating. From Anchorage we headed down to visit Bob’s and do some fishing for 5 days before our return to Boston.
I spent considerable time online researching a place that was appropriate to bring a 3 yr old. My son is also a very seasoned traveler (2X to South Africa) and probably 6-8 other trips. I wasn’t worried about him but I wanted a lodging that wasn’t going to wake him up before the crack of dawn (all the fisherman in rooms next door) and also I didn’t want the looks from people disappointed their vacation was going to be ruined by a child (I get it, I didn’t have kids for a long time). After many patient and informed emails back and forth to Bob and a call to gather more details, we booked and Bob’s- it offered us the perfect family compromise.
We stayed in a River Front cabin. It had 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms full kitchen and washer & dryer- total bonus! The kitchen is basic but perfect. I cooked almost every night we were there and we loved it. Many previous guests left things for the kitchen (like spices) but if I would have thought ahead I would have brought my favorite fish seasoning. Bob really thought of all the little things that make staying on your own nice (full size fridge, gas stove, separate freezer to keep the ice for transporting all your fish, coolers to transport your fish, foil for putting things on the grill, fishing poles to fish off your private dock). The only thing I would mention is the knives in the kitchen were well used. I’m sure we could have gotten them sharpened if I asked, but really, we were kind of “camping” so I managed. The beds were very comfy, the decoration beautiful and having a TV with satellite was great for the 3 yr old, and the WiFi was super so we could plan other day trips (our son did not go Salmon fishing, too long and too cold for him- and the fish were so big they would have pulled him overboard!)
The cabins are right above the river so you have a beautiful view from pretty much every room in the cabin (and I think that would be true for all 3 cabins there). We also loved the gas grill where we cooked our fish several nights – the most delicious fish we have ever eaten. I will tell you the water is ripping fast- I had a hunch so I packed a life jacket for my son and made sure he had it on every time he went outside. In addition, there were bears that frequented the neighboring dumpster- quite a site to see one so close on one of our early AM departures. The coolest thing I saw one morning; I got up and looked out and saw a moose swimming in the super fast current in the river. Unbelievable- right outside the door!
The fishing- we did several silver salmon trips with Bob as our guide- we loved them… wow, it was cold though, I should have packed more layers (I knew this from the past but packing for the whole family made me err on less stuff) – thank god for the washer & dryer, I wore the same thing every fishing day and you catch so many fish, well, it’s all fishy  We caught our limit every day and Bob cleaned them right on the dock for us… we took some home for dinner and he processed the rest for us. Bob knows that river inside and out and is a super guide!
I also did a Halibut trip on my own. That was the #1 thing on my list and I had a good time but the weather was really rough and I battle with sea sickness so it was not my favorite (I certainly would do it again though!). I caught my limit of Halibut, even though on the boat they were making fun of my 25 lb “baby” – it was delicious!
Our favorite trip hands down was the drift trip – Bob organized this for us and set us up with a guide that would be good with our son. We loved this trip because all 4 of us did this as a family, there was plenty of room in the boat and because we did a combo of cast and fly fishing my son was able to fish. You can’t eat the fish on this trip but regardless we had an amazing day. If we had known how great this trip was we would have booked this 2X to get my son out on the boat more. Bob said it was great but had to imagine from the description, it doesn’t do it justice.
Bob and his chief organizer Kathy, have an exceptional facility, they are so helpful, organized and super professional. They did an amazing job with our fish- we took 48 lbs home, checked as a bag on the airlines and sent the rest directly to family & friends- Bob & Kathy organized the entire thing… Bob also has rooms in his lodge- wow an amazing place, beautiful. If you go fishing with him and stay in the lodge, I think Kathy makes lunches for those guests – they looked much better than what I had (self catering in the cabins = granola bars & fruit). All in all one of our best family vacations ever and we can’t thank Bob and Kathy enough for making it easy to accommodate our 3 yr old – Bob even found the smallest fishing pole he had so Alex could fish from the dock at the cabin. We hope to be back!
(sorry for the long review, I tried to mention the things that are helpful to families)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank PK_Tremblay
Costa Mesa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

Stayed at one of his three magnificent cabins in August 2013
Silver Salmon were running right outside our cabin
Bob is one of a kind, magnificent guide, friendly, patient, and made sure we caught our limit everyday.
Cabins were fully furnished and with cable and wifi.
Had fishing poles ready when we arrived.
Located about half a mile from town
Three beautiful docks to fish from
Has a fantastic lodge that you can stay at also
Bob has everything you will need to fish and also freezing and boxing up your fish
Bob and his assistant Kathy are wonderful people and I just can not recommend them enough
I will always stay there when I return to Alaska every summer
Do yourself a favor and stay at Bob's Cabins

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Steven C
Atascocita, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

First trip to Alaska, and the Kenai in July 2013, great stay at Bob's Cabin, centrally located right on the Kenai River, and between Halibut fishing off Anchor Point in the southwest and airbases to the northeast for fly-outs for salmon. We also fished in the Kassilof River nearby for both Sockeye and Kings and caught both including several Kings up to 43 lbs. and Bob does a great job cleaning and vacu-sealing the fish right there. The lodge is first class, spacious, and comfortable. Bob makes sure you have the best guides each day, and Cathy takes care of all your needs while at the lodge. Enjoyed sitting on the dock watching the wildlife and boats as they fly, swim or drift by. Be careful as you drive up to the cabin, we had to slow and stop several times for moose and their young. I have recommended Bob's Cabin to several friends and clients since returning to Houston.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JohnKA2584TG
The Villages, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Well, I must admit that I was a bit skeptical when my husband asked me to join him on a fishing vacation in Alaska. I needn't have worried, our stay at Bobs was just awesome! Our room in the lodge was spacious and comfortable, and very clean. We enjoyed a plentiful continental breakfast every morning, and the packed lunches were personalized to our specific tastes. Bob and his assistant Cathy went above and beyond every single day to insure we had a good trip. We caught a lot of fish, which Bob cleaned, packaged and froze for us. In my spare time, Cathy provided us with valuable suggestions on side trips, and sent me home with some new recipes for cooking our salmon and halibut. My husband fulfilled a lifelong dream of fishing in Alaska, and I enjoyed it too!

Room Tip: We stayed in the main lodge, great atmosphere!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carol C
fishguide, Owner at Bob's Cabin & Guide Service, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
I am glad you folks enjoyed your stay with us and hope you can return in the future. We have pictures of your great fishing success hanging in the lodge for everyone to see.
Fairfax, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

If you've never been to AK, then be sure to include a stay at Bob's Cabin..actually he has several cabins plus his amazing lodge. All of them are equally impressive, yet uniquely different, and offer great accomodations. Even if you're not going for a fishing excursion, the location of the cabins in Soldotna is very convenient and makes for a good day trip to Homer. Bob has a great deal of pride in ensuring guests are completely satisfied as he pays attention to details and offers advice at every step of the way. The cabins are well-appointed, including a grill and camp chairs to take down to the dock. I found the 2-story cabin to be more spacious than the pictures made it appear which is the exact opposite of what most rental advertisements depict. As I was leaving I mentioned to Bob that I was disappointed not to have seen a moose yet. In a very nonchalant manner he said, "oh, you might want to turn right down that first road you come to." As with everthing else, Bob's advice as a life-long naturalist and conservationist was perfect. Would return without hesitation...next time I'll even fish!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ABWade
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Father/son trip to Alaska. Booked the trip from North Carolina on a whim,only a few weeks in advance, no previous knowledge of Bobs business, and late in the fishing season. Pleasently surprised. As other reviewers have said, the service is fantastic. I had a few nitpicks here and there, but In the end you really cant expect anything more from a guide service without paying at least twice the cost. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank ericjameshines
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soldotna
Kenai River Lodge
Alaska Fishing Lodge - Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge
Salmon Catcher Lodge
Salmon Catcher Lodge
#4 of 16 in Kenai

Been to Bob's Cabin & Guide Service? Share your experiences!