“So So”

Don Jose
Ranked #46 of 64 Restaurants in Soldotna
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I have had good meals and I have had bad ones here.
The service is ok and the value isn't horrible.
So I would say role the dice.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We used to live in Homer and had frequented Don Jose there. This was our first time at the Soldotna restaurant. The service was slow, we had to ask twice for some guacamole and several times for some "hot" salsa, the one they gave with the chips was basically catsup. The "hot" salsa had very little spice...

My wife and I just had a couple tacos each. I had one "beef" and one chicken. Very tasteless. The beef taco was hamburger meat and the chicken was very bland. Even with guacamole, "hot" salsa and the hot chile sauce in a bottle on the table, the tacos were mediocre at best.

Sorry Jose, but you need to get up there and whip this place in to shape.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

While on vacation we ate dinner at this restaurant. Server seemed to be confused with our order, not understanding what we ordered. Hubby then repeated order in Spanish, but still server seemed puzzled. She delivered our beverages so awkwardly, I had to fight the urge to get up and assist her. My fajitas were served without tortillas and I had to ask twice to get them. The food was okay, but not particularly flavorful.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I enjoyed the food. Good flavors and everything came out hot and fresh. This is a nice restaurant with a pretty good atmosphere. I will be back.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

Very close to the Aspen Hotel. We picked it because we were intrigued by the combination of Mexican and Italian. Turns out it was really Mexican and some pizza choices. Mexican was really what we wanted so it was good. They didn't have any crab for my first choice because their supplies hadn't come in. We had learned that this is not uncommon in some of the remote spots in Alaska.

I had a shrimp enchilada that was excellent. The salsa was only so-so. I've had better out of a bottle. The service was friendly but a little slow. I would go back and eat there again.