“One stop shopping for great fishing”
Review of Alaska Funny Moose

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Soldotna
Alaska Funny Moose
“One stop shopping for great fishing”
Reviewed 12 June 2011

This lodge really has it going on. First time there guides were great and personal at lodge were great help. Recommend it highly.

• Stayed June 2011

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Had a great stay everyone was very nelpfull for fishing,finding food etc.
1 week or 1 time is not enough.

Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Looked at many different places and vacation packages, and decided on the Funny Moose. The camp was very basic but met all of our party of 5's needs. This is a fishing camp, if you want bunny fufu slippers and mints on your pillows, it is not for you. If you want a basic cabin with the essentials, to have your trips planned out for you, and have a great time for about half the price of what most places are asking, then look no further. I was a little disappointed at some of the "limits" on the fishing for the halibut and silvers, but to be honest, when it was all said and done, we could not have brought back more fish if we wanted too. Our van was packed to the roof and no room to spare. So after I got over wanting to keep more, I realized just how good of a time I had. When we got bad weathered out of our first halibut trip, another was arranged before we got back to the camp (at no charge of course). And when we weren't on a guided trip, we were at the camp fishing on the banks catching some nice silvers and some trout. It is a little drive to town (15 min), but stock up on food and beverages and hang out at camp. Also, many of people have asked me about the mosquitoes since I got back ... I think I saw two little ones the entire trip we were there, never once did I put on bug spray. Fly-out trip is the best IMHO. Jim goes out of his way to be friendly and make things right for the guests (tells a tale or two as well)! Would recommend to anyone who really goes to Alaska to FISH! Also want to make special mention of Lou, he vacuum packs everything and puts it in the freezer for you at a good price, and will set you up with cooler boxes to fly home and separate the fish equally for all in you party. Even though I filleted some of my fish myself, Jim will happily do so for a buck a fish, and even give/share the eggs for you. The shower took a little extra cleaning on our behalf, but no big deal. We grilled out several nights and got to watch the Northern Lights our last night there...priceless. Have many things to do on my bucket list, but I am looking forward to a repeat at the Funny Moose. DO BRING GOOD WADERS AND RAIN GEAR! Some of the people on the Halibut trips looked at us funny, but they were all soon in the cabin watching us get hammered by the waves and loving every minute of it (while staying dry). Mark and Allison were great, a special hats off to Allison who works her tail off to make the trip one to remember, she is a true artist with a fillet knife on halibut. Also, if you flyfish (I do but did not bring a rod), be sure to take it on your fly-out trip, a group next to us caught over 20 salmon each on fly rods, while our conventional tackle worked, it was more like 3-5 fish per person. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience!!!!! One more thing, there is no spa or sauna (mentioned in web site) at the Funny Moose, but was told that was at the Buddha Lodge (didn't miss it as all in our party have hot tubs at home).

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Fairhope
Reviewed 10 August 2010

My now 10 year old son Alex and I had been going to Canada the past 4 years. This year we decided to give Alaska a try. Good choice. I have friends that travel to Alaska that spoke of trips costing 5,000 and up per person which is why I avoided Alaska in the past. I came across the Funny Moose Lodge site with the package trips and decided to give it a try.

The camp is what you expect of a fishing camp. The rooms are basic but clean. You can get a hot shower and the propane grills work great. It’s hard to beat fresh grilled salmon at the end of the day. Jim the camp manager is always around if you need something and captain Lou next door will profession ally package your fish to take home. We took home 100 lbs of Halibut and Salmon.

Years ago I learned not to go to a new fishing spot without guides so we took advantage of a package that offered trips almost every day yet the price was still reasonable. The King salmon fishing was slow this season but my son got a 35 pounder. We did a fly in for silver salmon where we caught nice fish and got to see bears chasing salmon up close. The flight in the Beaver float plane was worth the cost of admission. We saw moose and bear on the way to the lake. We went down to Homer and did a few Halibut trips. The fishing was pretty hot. We got limits both days and I got a 65 pounder.

I have not traveled to an area yet where the fishing was this good from the bank. Plenty of red (Sockeye) salmon that are great fighters and great eating. There is a dock you can fish within walking distance of the cabins and several other public access spots that are a short drive. You need to learn an unconventional method of fishing. Reds do not eat once they come in the river so you float a fly or dressed hook with the current and try to get it in the fish’s mouth. If you hook the fish from the gill plates forward you can keep it. If not you need to release it. It takes a day or two to get used to it. Jim will take you down to the dock and get you started. The camp has rental rods and for those that like to bring their own equipment a 9 foot heavy action rod with a spinner or conventional reel with 25lb test line works well. A 9 weight flyrod works too but you are in trouble if the fish gets you out in the main current. The salmon we caught averaged 8 to 12 pounds and gave our tackle all it could handle in the current.

It stays light until around midnight in August so you have to pace yourself. We went a little crazy at first going on early morning guide trips and hitting the docks or public access spots after an afternoon nap. We put in around 12 hours fishing per day. My son caught lots of fish. My kind of trip.

All in all one great trip for the money. I anticipate heading back that way next year. Thanks for the great trip Funny Moose Lodge.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank roden2000
Bishop, California
Reviewed 29 July 2010

This was my husband & I first trip to Alaska, same with our friends, we live in the Eastern Sierras of California. Funny Moose was everything we expected a fish camp, what we didn't expect was the superb treatment that we received. I spoke with George told him what we would like, he had everything scheduled from the time we got off the plane to the time we left. Jim is available 23.75 hrs a day, he does it all, you couldn't ask for a more knowledgeable person. Capt. Lou, how much better can it get when you can walk your fish from the banks of the Kenia to Lou for processing - it doesn't get better than that! The Halibut fishing with Mark & Allison was AWESOME ! they went out of their way to make sure we were fish on! 2 trips we had limits both days. Lets not forget the friendships that develop in the camp we met and became friends with people from all over the US. We can't wait to go back! George we'll be calling you soon!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hornbakes
Hastings, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Went with 3 friends, all with extensive fishing experience, all were impressed with quality of fishing guides, even though we only caught one king on the Kenia during two Kenia charters.The king fishing was very poor(June 19-26) very few kings were caught. The fly in was great as was the halibut fishing with Mark & Allison. Jim @ Fuuny Moose was always very informative.As well as Capt Lou at the lodge next door.This is a fishing lodge not a luxury hotel. George(owner) was very up front on what to expect at the Moose. I feel we got what we paid for,had a very good time.

2 Thank mikekelly1954
Jonesville, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 June 2010

First let me clear this up for those who will read this review. THIS IS A FISHING CAMP NOT A B&B OR EMBASY SUITES. Ok,with that out of the way let me say we had a great time. We stayed a week,had 4 days planned fishing (included in price) 3 King 1 Halubit. You do have to drive to each location, Homer being the farthest one for our trip, but if you never been to Alaska this is the best way. I promise you will ENJOY the drive. Have your camera ready. Everyone around us had stayed here befor and Jim was great, very patient and accessible at ANY time. We met fishermen from all around the world. We will be coming back.

1 Thank 5FishingStooges
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soldotna
Kenai River Lodge
Aspen Hotel Soldotna
Aspen Hotel Soldotna
#2 of 8 in Soldotna
Best Western King Salmon Motel

Been to Alaska Funny Moose? Share your experiences!