“Funny Moose should be called DIRTY MOOSE”
Review of Alaska Funny Moose

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Soldotna
Alaska Funny Moose
Reviewed 27 July 2008

My friends and I where booked to stay at the Funny Moose Lodge the second week of a 2 week vacation in Alaska... the 1st week was great , all the accomadations were as descibed. When we arrived at the Funny Moose we were met ( not greeted) by Jim who talked to us like children telling us the rules of what to do and not to do.... that wasn't so bad, but, when we stepped into the Plywood box ( yes, that's what it is) accomadations we all were disscusted. This was a bare bones box... this is not how Geoge descibed the lodge on the several occasions he talked with my friend who booked Funny Moose.... We all did not care about basic accomodations but, the place was filthy....stained sheets, mold on walls, and the bathroom shower floors look like they have not seen a bleach cleaner in a long time( bring shower shoes if you stay here) Needless to say My friends an I had to find accomadations elsewhere. Also be aware that the Halibut fishing excursion is 2 hours away... we had a vehicle, but, I do not think transportation was provided by the camp.
There were other shady deals that George pulled with us, but, that has nothing to do with reviewing the accomadations. I would not recommend this camp to anyone.

Theresa of Cambridge MA

Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank Theresa47
JimDicken, Assitant to the Owner at Alaska Funny Moose, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2009

Funny Moose Lodge is not for everyone. The cabins are as described. Plain Plywood Cabins on Cinder Blocks. That is why the price of the trips is so low. After all most of the time you are here you are out fishing... so what do you need the Hilton for.
Funny Moose is a Hard Core Fishing Camp. It is not a hotel. We do not wake you up, clean your room daily and make the beds, you cook for yourself, and we do not put chocolates on the pillows.
Each year someone shows up who has booked a trip for around $995 and says things are not good enough. Each year MOST people leave telling us how much they loved the trip and they will be back.
Hate us or Love us, we do not cheat any one.
The cabins are basic. We, actually George, has installed new floors in all the cabins this year.
There is no mold in any of our cabins as mold is unknown in Alaska. Temperatures in the winter kill all mold spores and temps do not get warm enough long enough for mold to form.
We did have painted floors and they do tend to wear. This may have been what these folks considered mold.
However all linens are washed once a week and new sets are available at any time if someone wants them to be changed. There is no MOLDY smell in the cabins as they are cleaned each week before the next groups arrival with bleach and or pinesol.
The people who wrote this review did not notify the lodge or management of any "Moldy" smell or conditions. They got all the fishing trips they booked and despite canceling 4 people 2 weeks before the trip, were given the opportunity to take those fishing trips. Understand all trips are booked in advance and can not be canceled less than a month out due to the short season, and to protect the guides we do not allow cancellations that close.
On the Funny Moose Website we have links to Travel Insurance for situations where cancellations might become necessary, and where we can not provide a refund. We actually recommend this service since the trip can be quite costly if cancellation is necessary.
Jim Dicken
Assistant to the owner.

Reviewed 23 July 2008

The Funny Moose fishing lodge had the worst lodging facilities that I have ever seen. Plywood boxes built on 3ft high cinder blocks. and filthy inside. There was mold in the shower all over the floor and walls, multiple blankets and sheets had stains and the smell was discusting. The owner of this lodge George conducts business over the internet and is very hard to deal with (His way or the Highway). Get everything in writing and pay close attention to the amount he charges your credit card as I overpaid by $500.00 and he has refused to refund the overpayment amount.

Jim who is assigned as the initial greeter is some guy. Treats you as if you are burdening to his day. My group had traveled all over Alaska prior to our arrival in Soldotna at the Funny Moose Lodge and we had a great time. As a result of the substandard lodging conditions at the Funny Moose lodge we chose alternative lodging in different B& B's in the Soldotna area and continued with our fishing plans and had a great time.

I would not recommend the Funny Moose Lodge to anyone as the owner should be arrested and in prison for his dishonest business practices. He has no integrity and the place should be condemed. The owner, George, lives in Texas and is in Alaska during the summer fishing season. I also want to note that after further research I have discovered that many people have made the same comments as I have so check with the Soldotna Chamber of Commerce prior to staying at this DUMP.

2  Thank Eagleye1
JimDicken, Assistant to the owner. at Alaska Funny Moose, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2009

I am the Jim in the description. I regret that these folks felt that I thought they were an encumbrance on my day. I work at the lodge because I love to help people have a good time fishing. In this particular instance I went out of my way to help these folks even loaning one of the ladies in the group, enough money for her fishing license when she discovered that her wallet was missing. No one in her group offered to help her, so I gave her the license and told her I would cover it until she got things figured out. I even recall making several long distance phone calls and doing research on the internet to find numbers for the places she had been to, that day, so she could call and see if her wallet was there.
I will not make any excuses for our cabins. They are as she describes, wooden boxes on cinder blocks. However they are ample in construction enough to have survived the elements in Alaska now for many years. The cabins are roomy, comfortable and the beds are very comfortable. We have new linens, which are washed each week and inspected. The floors in the cabin were wood, but have been replaced at the end of last season with flooring. There is NO MOLD in Alaska. The temperatures do not support Mold in any form.
Funny Moose Lodge is not the Holiday Inn. We do not make your bed, or put a chocolate on your pillow as one fellow said. It is however a very comfortable place to stay and while we occasionally meet folks who do not get the fact that we have low prices for a reason.. we still have a high rate of return guests. The time I spent at Funny Moose this summer there was at least 3 of the cabins each week with guests who were returning for a second, third, sixth and in one case 12th year. This is a fishing camp not a resort. If you are looking for a Resort Experience then you need to find a lodge with higher rates. Our basic price in 2008 was $995.00 for 4 fishing trips and a week in a cabin. IN the lower 48 a guide for 4 fishing trips would cost you $1000 on average without any place to stay. I should know what prices are I currently run Fishing Guides Home Page and websites for over 15 fishing guides around the United States.
Jim Dicken
AKA Gomer the Concierge.

Reviewed 13 November 2007

george was very friendly and helpful, our accomodation was good, our trips were good, compared to ireland the fishing was fantastic. we caught halibut to 165lb and king salmon to 65lb. we had a very enjoyable 10 days and even though our trip from ireland was very tiring, we hope to do it again. the newry anglers.

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank jonNewry
Reviewed 9 September 2007

Just got back from our trip to Soldotna and had a great time. I don't usually write reviews but after being scared by a couple of the reviews i wanted to share my opinion of the place.

1. George is not what many people consider friendly...He can be short at times but if i had the same 20 questions posed to me by everyone i might be a little short at times too. In my opinion he runs a fishing lodge in Alaska and is not the concierge at the Hilton. He knows his stuff and if you want to have a good time fishing at an affordable price he can help you.

2. The cabins are basic fishing cabins. Flecka10 from St. Louis described them perfectly. They are a 12' x 40' plywood box with plywood floors and walls. They dont have carpet...i wouldn't want carpet after people wore their muddy boots in either. All the utinsils, plates, microwave, stovetop, towels were there. Just bring your food and seasonings. The beds are basic but I slept like a rock every night i stayed there.

3. The fishing experiences we had couldn't have been better. This is where I think the Funny Moose and George shine. He makes all the arrangements. When we checked in he had a weeks itenerary for us. The guides names, the locations we had to be, maps with good directions, and the exact times we had to be there and even leave. He knows what he is doing. Believe him when he says 45 minutes! We went on the fly out fishing trip. It was great. Good scenery and an unforgettable experience. It was one of the highlights of our trip. We went on 2 river trips and had a good time. One guide got us on the fish a little better than the other, but that one was a great guy to visit with and so i felt both of them did a good job. It is fishing and not "catching". I caught my limit on every trip except one, but there were fish on the boats every day. The guides did everything from provide all the poles, tackle, bait, baited the hooks and took the fish off. They filleted the fish at the end of the day. The Halibut fishing too was a good experience. There were 8 on the boat and we went home with 14 fish(limit 2). People caught several others that were small and they let go. Our boat anchor had some problems, but the captain worked hard to make the best of the situation he could. On the days we didn't have trips planned we bought some poles in anchorage and fished the Kenai and the Russian.

4. My biggest downside was the location is that it is 15 miles to town. It got a little annoying making that drive every day but the town is spread out so you are going to drive no matter what. On the other hand we didn't feel like we were staying in town in a hotel. That wasn't the experience we were after.

Stayed: September 2007
3  Thank gccIdahofallsIdaho
Reviewed 15 August 2007

Just returned from a trip to Funny Moose Lodge. The week was to be remembered forever. The quaint little cottages were more than comfortable and just what a group of nine men, needed after a long day on the water.
George set up all of our trips for us and we had a "killer" week. Plenty of fish to take home(60lbs each), and the most knowledgable guides I've encountered.
There was plenty of linen and when we asked for more there was no problem. The beds were clean with warm comforters, just the ticket after a long day of fishing.
I guess you could say, "it's not the Taj Mahal", but you get more bang for the buck, if you're going to Alaska to "FISH".
Thanks again George Stek

Stayed: August 2007
3  Thank Mainer50
Reviewed 13 August 2007

OK, so George is not Mr. Congeniality. That part is true. He checks you in, gives your your key and schedule for the week and leaves you alone to enjoy yourself. The cabins are really basic and not attractive when you drive up, but don't panic. You'll find that the guided trips alone would cost as much as you pay for the week so the room is basically free. The fly-out fishing trip to the Cook Inlet alone is $350 per day if booked alone. Clean, basic accomodation (we had a 2 bedroom cabin). Comfortable beds although you are so tired sleeping is not a problem. All cooking utensils were there as promised. He sets you up with top guides with top equipment. Make sure you do a fly-out trip across the Cook Inlet. Wow factor of 10+ Bears are feeding just feet from the boat where we caught a ton of salmon. We came home with lots of fish and a lifetime of memories.

Stayed: August 2007
1  Thank RickTN
Reviewed 8 August 2007

I found the Funny Moose via Discount Alaska Fishing Website- and it was true to form. The Price for Room & Fishing was Half of other places I contacted, so something had to give- since the Fishing and the Guides that George, (owner), arranged for my son and I were really great and A+, that leaves the Cabins and Lodge. This is where we paid the price. They are just average at best, but lets face it, I didnt go to Alaska for the hotel- I went for the fishing, site seeing, etc... and that is where George put the money- (rightfully so). SO if you expect the Ritz- don't stay here, but if you need basic accomodations, and Excellent fishing, then this place fits the bill.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family