“Pops fishing trip with 4 sons”

Alaska Fishing Lodge - Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge
Ranked #1 of 12 Soldotna B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I found this place off trip advisor last year. No first hand references. All I read was favorable, and then we arrived. The accommodations were excellent, the food was great, and the staff superb. I am not blowing smoke rings, for real. Steve was exceptionally accommodating. All we had to do was catch the fish. Our guides were A+++. I will do this again, same place, same time of year. Schedule July 1-15 for the sockeye run. We fished for kings, caught, one jack. Halibut LIMITS out of Homer, trout and salmon in Kenai, Kosilof and upper Kenai. I would recommend this trip to anyone interested in fishing. We saw lots of game floating the river. Moose, eagles, bear. JUST DO IT!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank joebobwilson
SoldotnaBBLodgeOwner, Manager at Alaska Fishing Lodge - Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2014

Thank you for your kind feedback!

We are glad that you appreciated our efforts.

We hope to see you again this summer!

There are newer reviews for Alaska Fishing Lodge - Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Can't believe it's been such a long time since I stayed and fished with Steve and Monika. I was there in 2008 with customers on a fishing trip and it was the best trip EVER! Now I am going back with my wife and I would not stay anywhere else. We are planning to start off at Denali and finish our vacation fishing on the Kenai. Again, I would not stay anywhere other than with Steve and Monika, they know what they are doing and they do it superbly.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
SoldotnaBBLodgeOwner, General Manager at Alaska Fishing Lodge - Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Thank you for the review.

We are so glad to hear that you will coming to visit us again this year.

If you have remembered us for six years, that means we must have made a good impression the first time!

See you soon!

Reviewed 10 October 2013

My father and I had an exceptional time in early September validated by the 65 lbs of salmon in my freezer that was hooked, landed, filleted, vacuum-sealed, and frozen within a few hours of landing them in the boat on both the Kenai and Kasiloff Rivers. The owners were extremely helpful and responsive in supporting our questions of where to stay, for how long, with what package, etc. and incredibly friendly during our stay. We definitely appreciated how Steve provided us with different guide experiences and sections of both rivers for greater variety. Even sitting on their dock in the evening enjoying our preferred cocktail provided experiences of viewing a grizzly bear, several moose, and multiple bald eagles just across the river. We had so much fun we are already planning our next trip in 2015. Thank you Steve & Monika!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Derek R
SoldotnaBBLodgeOwner, Manager at Alaska Fishing Lodge - Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay!

We are so glad that you appreciated our efforts!

We are also glad to see that you are already planning your next trip to see us. Repeat business and referrals are the best reward for us. Thank you!

Reviewed 25 September 2013

Traveled to Alaska for the first time in late July/early August. Alaska is beautiful this time of year... absolutely breathtaking scenery everywhere you look! The vacation was fabulous, but the Soldotna B&B Lodge was the highlight of the trip. The backyard of the lodge overlooks the Kenai River, which is the most beautiful river I have ever seen, adding to the experience. The lodge is so comfortable it feels like home. The staff was terrific, helpful and so friendly... they made us feel like family. I highly recommend the B&B for family vacations or even a couples getaway... they cater to everyone..!! Monika, Steve and all of the friendly staff couldn't do enough for us... we were very pampered..!! I can't wait to go back..!!

Room Tip: I recommend a room facing the back so you can have a beautiful view of the river.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
SoldotnaBBLodgeOwner, Manager at Alaska Fishing Lodge - Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

We are so glad that you appreciated our efforts to meet all your needs and expectations. We like being the "highlight" of your trip!

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 16 September 2013

My husband and I stayed for three nights in a room with a private bath. It was smaller than an average hotel room but very, very clean! The b&b was close to everything in town. Nice river frontage. Try the thai massage the day after fishing, wonderful! The halibut fishing trip was awesome! It is a long drive to Homer at 4 am and even longer drive after fishing all day. I would recommend staying in Homer for that excursion. The boat captain, Mike, and his deck hand were so terrific! My husband was ill that day (but he toughed it out!) and the boat crew did everything they could to help me. I had so much fun catching fish and cruising through the water. The b&b froze and packaged my 55lbs. of fish and shipped it home. FYI, the one fish shipping box included in the package is only the box. It cost $400 to ship my fish to Oregon. Steve, the b&b owner, was kind enough to discount off our last night's room fee because my husband was ill and we wanted to go home. The weather was bad and we chose not to do the river fishing trip. No discount there... With the rainy weather, i hope those that couldnt fish did get a refund. The owner's do not live a the lodge anymore but Steve was around to check us in and out. There is an employee in charge though. All in all, a great trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a private bath in your room! Only four rooms have them. Or you will be using shared shower r...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

A few comments:

Rain is never a cause for us to cancel activities. We go rain or shine. Therefore, we supply raingear.

Our packages include all the fish processing (filleting/vacuum packing/freezing), fish shipping boxes and preparation for shipping or carrying home. Our packages state and confirmations that we e-mail clearly state that FedEx shipping charges are not included.

We (Steve and Monika, the managers) are ordinarily on-site 12-14 hours per day, seven days a week in summer. We are always there to help in any way that we can. Even when we are not on-site, we are accessible by cell phone 24/7. Also, when we are not at the Lodge in summer, we reside only 2-3 minutes away from the Lodge. There is also staff that is on-site 24/7 in summer.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

This was our first trip to Alaska and we had an amazing time, largely due to the hospitality and helpfulness of Steve and Monika.They went out of their way to make sure that our experience was as memorable as possible. The B & B is in a great location on the banks of the river, and is very well maintained. The setting allowed my wife to enjoy all the benefits that you expect from a B & B while providing our family with an amazing fishing experience! We would not hesitate to return and do it all over again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

We are so very glad that we were able to make your first experience in Alaska so memorable!

It certainly was not an easy to keep up with your fishing schedule as the weather did not cooperate. We are glad that we were able to arrange other fishing activities for you with our professional guides. We recognize that having professional, experienced, entertaining guides is a very important part of what we do.

We look forward to making your subsequent trips to our Lodge equally as memorable.

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 9 September 2013

This was our first trip to Alaska and we had no idea how or what to plan and what to expect. Letting Steve and Monika handle everything was the perfect solution. The B&B was a great place to lay our heads at night and having our next day's lunches prepared and a continental breakfast available in the morning was great. The weather was not always cooperative, however, Steve kept us well-informed and made alternative arrangements for us. The guides he hooked us up with were excellent, friendly and professional. We will definitely be returning. I would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Although we did have a private bath because I requested it, people need to realize that not all the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
SoldotnaBBLodgeOwner, Manager at Alaska Fishing Lodge - Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

We hope to see you soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Soldotna
Kenai River Lodge
Salmon Catcher Lodge
#4 of 18 in Kenai
Diamond M Ranch Resort
Best Western King Salmon Motel

Been to Alaska Fishing Lodge - Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge? Share your experiences!