“Great B&B professional, friendly staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alaska Fishing Lodge - Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge

Alaska Fishing Lodge - Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge
Ranked #1 of 12 Soldotna B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great B&B professional, friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2005

I recently completed a fantastic trip to Alaska and wanted to share my experience for future potential visitors to the Kenai Peninsula and specifically those considering staying at the Soldotna B&B.

I am an internet user and when traveling I like to use the internet for research and booking accommodations etc. I have successfully booked trips to many parts of the US and Europe so naturally when I decided to give my dad a Alaska fishing trip for Christmas I went to the internet to research best areas and eventually book my trip.

During my research I ran across a very unflattering review of the Soldotna B&B which led me to request more information from the owners as well as reach out to the Soldotna Chamber of Commerce prior to booking my travel. I received very good reviews from the chamber as well as additional references that Monica and Steve provided. I decided to stay at the B&B and was not disappointed. The location was wonderful, the Inn backs up to the Kenai River –You can literally fish from their back yard. The rooms were spacious, comfortable, very clean and Steve and Monica and their staff were very helpful, knowledgeable, courteous and friendly. We had a great time fishing and the guides and charters that they arranged were very professional and knowledgeable as well. I noted that a number of guests I met at the B&B were returning visitors which reinforced my positive opinion of this Bed and Breakfast.

If I decide to go back to Alaska, and my trip included the Kenai Peninsula, I would make sure that I stayed at the Soldotna B&B. It is a shame that a few visitors have had a disappointing experience, however I found the Inn very clean, comfortable and the staff and owners very professional and made sure that this trip to Alaska was very special.

• Stayed August 2005
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Green Cove Springs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2005

If you are interested in a Bed & Breakfast that caters to the customers, try Soldotna Lodge B & B. All of the help worked as a team giving Monika and Steve (owners) the support they needed to make your stay wonderful.
Never did we hear a disgruntled employee or guest.
Of the B & B’s all over the U.S. including the four in Alaska, this one is the best. The breakfast was a variety and very good at the time you wanted/needed it. The local guided fishing trips picked you up at their dock and the fish cleaning, vacuum packing, and freezing came with the trip. If you want sock-eye salmon just walk to your private fishing area for guests only. Fish and let the staff take care of your catch. I have never seen fishing like this before. You will catch Salmon if you get a line in the water. Aside from getting your limit of Salmon most any day, there are lots of places to explore close by.
Soldotna has a wealth of very good restaurants to suit many different tastes and budgets.
Larry and Carol
Houston, Texas.

2 Thank Larry H
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2005

My stay at the Soldotna B&B was based on the recommendation of a friend - the best recommendation anyone can ask for.

I have travelled extensively and have stayed in all types of accomodations at all price levels. I have paid several times more at other places and not enjoyed myself nearly as much as I did during my stay here! I considered the price/value to be right on.

Rooms were neat and clean, food was good, hospitality was excellent. The B&B/Lodge is located directly on the river and had a great back yard for visiting (friendly guests and locals), reading, relaxing, and snoozing (nothing like an outdoor nap along a river to remind you that you're on vacation!).

The European style offered a welcome departure from the cookie cutter mold of other lodging. I took time to visit with the owners (Steve and Monika) and found them to be engaging, well-versed, and well-travelled. If you take the time to get to know them, you'll find them to be a caring, knowledgeable and fun couple.

Steve did a great job arranging the fishing charters and setting me up with excellent guides during my stay. I've fished several times in Alaska and this will be added to my enjoyable and memorable experiences. I could tell you about the fish I caught but you might be disappointed if you don't catch a bigger one. Actually, from one fisherman to the other, I hope you do!

I'm convinced that some people can create a bad experience for themselves no matter where they are or what the circumstances. A person would really have to be trying, however, to have a bad experience here. This is a positive, uplifting place that I will return to!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2005

The quickest way to take a great location and nice house and ruin the B&B experience? Ask Soldonta B&B.

The rooms were tiny and very overpriced, the owners overbearing to the point of cornering one of my colleagues over payment (and not wanting to take credit cards because of the huge cost to them). I think they forgot that we were their clients and it was we who were paying them.

Huge disappointment. Will not return and suggest you avoid too.

To be fair, however, the location is unbeatable and the views fantastic.

• Stayed June 2005, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
SoldotnaBBLodgeOwner, CEO at Alaska Fishing Lodge - Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge, responded to this review, 29 April 2010
Soldotna B&B Lodge and Alaska Fishing Charters is very sincere about our motto: “Fine Lodging and Quality Guiding”. We strive to always provide excellent service but unfortunately sometimes we do not succeed. From those experiences, we can only learn. Most of the positive reviews will reflect the fact that we strive to provide excellent service and that normally, we do succeed. We are continually trying to improve our level of service. We invite any potential guest to contact us and then compare our amenities, services, and prices with any other river property in our area.

As per our policy and as per VISA/MC policy, we do not charge any guest’s CC without their authorization. Some of our guests check-out without paying, believing that we will automatically charge their CC that they provided at the time of reservation. This is not something we prefer to do and therefore sometimes we seek out guests that are checking out and have not paid yet. Although it may sometimes seem pushy, we are just trying to protect ourselves. We do prefer to be paid for our services.

We are members of the Soldotna Chamber of Commerce and the Kenai Chamber of Commerce as well as the Kenai Peninsula B&B Association and the State of Alaska B&B Association. In fact, I (Steve) am also a former Vice President Of The Board of the Kenai Peninsula Tourism Marketing Council. Soldotna B&B Lodge is still an active member of all of these associations.

We also acknowledge that some of our rooms are smaller but we recommend that you “get out and do something!” After all, isn’t that what Alaska is all about? Soldotna B&B Lodge has a 650ft2 great room with fireplace that has spectacular views of the Kenai river and two other sitting rooms that overlook the river. The lodge has 1.4 acres of wooded property directly on the river with 300ft of private river frontage with numerous decks. Soldotna B&B Lodge also has two private docks for river access. We offer much more than “just a place to rest your head.” We are also here to arrange any activities for our guests.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2004

The Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge is like an oasis….beautiful location on the Kenai River with well appointed rooms that are quiet and clean. Most of the motel rooms in Kenai/Soldotna are pretty basic, no views, and can be a little noisy, so the homelike feel and peaceful location of the Soldotna B&B is a big plus for those that want to get away from it all but still be in town. Steve and Monica are splendid hosts and they do a great job of running this establishment and making your stay memorable. I travel to Alaska on business and pleasure and I have stayed at all of the Motels and a couple of other B&Bs in the Soldotna/Kenai area and definitely feel that Steve and Monica have the best thing going. Only problem is that they book up early which means I sometimes have to stay at the Uptown…ear plugs a must.

2 Thank mmhigg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2004

I have had the opportunity to visit this fine lodge for the past 4 years, and have made 9 fishing trips to Alaska. I have been coming to Alaska for almost 10 years. This is the best bed and breakfast lodge with the finest hosts. It's a great value with no-hassles.
They make the adventure more than memorable, and I highly recommend this lodge and their personnel touch to assist you in a great vacation, and some the most exciting fishing you'll ever experience.
It's a five star experience.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2004

Very nice Bed and Breakfast, hosts Steve and Monica keep the place in immaculate condidition, rooms were spotless and they also provide great advice on things to do and see. If you are planning a trip to Alaska this is one place that you definitly want to stay.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soldotna
Kenai River Lodge
Aspen Extended Stay Suites
Caribou Crossing Cabins
Caribou Crossing Cabins
#8 of 41 in Soldotna

Been to Alaska Fishing Lodge - Soldotna Bed and Breakfast Lodge? Share your experiences!