“Waste of Time”

Tianjin Binhai Aircraft Carrier Theme Park
Ranked #19 of 419 things to do in Tianjin
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I took off from Beijing on an adventure for the day hoping to get to the harbour/port side to see some water.
I caught the fast train to Tianjin (30 min) then a local bus to Hangu which is closer to the water. After getting off the bus I got in a taxi with my trusty Lonely Planet book in hand to show the driver where I want to go. I was pointing to the water, to a little bay that I wanted to go and see but the driver was giving me one of those blank looks. I starting drawing little waves and a boat on a piece of paper, hoping he would understand that I wanted to go the harbour. He seemed to understand but after about 15 mins, I ended up at this theme park! I laughed and thought oh well, I'll make the most of it and have a look around.
I would not recommend this place to anyone, what a waste of money and time. If you are not there to see the shows at 11 am during weekdays then you miss out. The weekend seems to be a better time to go as there are more shows scheduled. There are no rides at this theme park just a water action show, a big navy ship to look around on and a few singers/performers around the park.
Entrance fee is 160 Yuan. The food and drinks at this place are so over priced so take your own if you decide to go, small bottle of water was 9 Yuan.
I wouldn't waste your time with this one.

1  Thank figjam11

Reviewed 19 May 2014

The line of multi colored plastic trees skirting the car park are an early hint that this place is 'special'. The main attraction of the Kiev aircraft carrier has been augmented by a theme park based on all things Russian. The Disney style 'main street' has multi colored dachas, shops selling Russian foodstuffs and - best of all - a booth where you can have your photo taken with a supposedly Russian girl dressed in the style of a Napoleonic soldier. All priceless. Amongst the Russian artifacts, there are various military vehicles. These range from modern Chinese jets through to individual artillery pieces. There are even mock ups of WW2 battles with replica Tiger Tanks. The site is miles from anywhere and straddles a motorway. Forget Disney and Alton Towers, this place is absolutely brilliant!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

This was the "Kiev" from the former USSR. Docked in mud with all power and military apparatus removed. It's a bit rusty and run-down. Only recommend if you've never been on one, or got a military buzz kid, so that you could get some flavor. Otherwise, it's next worth the long drive. Noctice: the wind is brutal, so unlike you're visiting between Jun and Aug, wear warm clothes, at least a hoody.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

We were a group of 6 who came here. When we heard aircraft carrier, the first thing we though was the modern age carrier. It's actually an old style Russian aircraft carrier. Other than not being able to live upto the expectation, it was a decent trip to the ship. Although there were a lot of old Russian and Chinese pictures of military leaders, but everything was in Chinese. There are also some shoes by Russian dancers and aquatic daredevil acts. There is some construction going on close to the ship which makes it a long walk from the parking to the entrance. The tickets are a bit pricey. Overall, if you have only one day to spare, then you can skip this carrier as it is a good 2 hrs drive from Tianjin.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Somehow I ended up visiting this ship on a scorching hot August day with my brother's family, my cousin's family, my 96-year-old grandma.
The excitement was as high as the temperature when we finally arrived after a long search on the road due the GPS could not keep up the speed of road construction. From where we parked our car to the entrance, it was quite a long walk in the hot sun. We were just worried that my grandma could not take the heat well. Once we made it to the entrance, we realized the fee was kinda more pricy than we expected. 160 chinese yuan per person. No special discount for kids or senior s, not to mention for people with disabilities. I guess most old people or people with special needs are not supposed to have fun in China. Anyhow, we got the tickets for the group and found that there was no ramp or access for wheelchairs. No choice. We had to carry our grandma up and down the very steep stairs just to make it to where the ship is. Another problem was how to get our grandma onto the ship! Fortunately my brother and my cousin are two young and strong men. Mission possible! We finally got on the first floor. We would love to carry our grandma to the deck. That was just a wish. We give it up after all the hassles. So, we took turns walked around the ship, getting a bit of what it was like when the ship was at its best. I found it amazing that both the ship and my grandma are history of something and still they are alive and full of things to offer.
Two hours later, the kids were starving and started to get bored. We paid for a very pricy but simple lunch: a few bottles of water and some dumplings. Prices were 5 to 7 times more than the market price. That is sort of normal in most tourist places.
At 2pm, we got to watch some Russian "custom" dance. As a teacher, I wonder why they used the word 'custom" instead of "traditional". Obviously, it is a direct translation from Chinese to English and nobody cares this kind of translation in China. I have seen signs like "women's guest" in front of a restroom, which is a literal translation from Chinese to English.
The dance was worth the ticket price. We were happy about it. After that we watched the so-called "Hollywood water fight show". It was quite captivating, although my grandma had a hard time to understand who was fighting who over what.
In all, I was upset that there was no help or access for people who are on wheelchairs or special rate for seniors like my grandma. Such is China or So is China.
Besides this place, we also visited a huge water park nearby. Tickets of these two places were both outrageously expensive comparing to what we could do and see. And there were only squatting toilets! It was a big big challenge for me to help my grandma who could not squat to use their toilets.

2  Thank sarahgugu