“Lovely hotel and great value”

The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #4 of 1,342 Hotels in Tianjin
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Stayed in the Astor this last week for 3 nights. It is a lovely hotel with great rooms. Seems like good value to me as I paid about $135 for a big double room with a king size bed and fantastic bathroom. Had a view of the river and the building site which is opposite the hotel on the other side of the river. Staff were very efficient and pleasant, including predicting your needs- as I stood around in the lobby on checkout one of the staff asked me if I was the guy from room... who had a car booked for airport transfer as it was about to pull up in front of the hotel A nice new BMW as it turned out. Also, the pickup from the airport on arriving in Tianjin worked well. Breakfast was fine and there were nice little touches like an espresso machine in my room, so a chance to make a half reasonable cup of coffee - not something necessarily easy to find in Tianjin. Tried the room service which was quick and reasonably priced. We also spent some time in O'Hara's bar - where drinks were not exactly cheap, but it was a nice place to spend a few hours listening to the (quite good) pianist.

Room Tip: Facing the river is pleasant though these rooms are in the newer section of the hotel. Rooms in the...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank iad11
The_Astor_Hotel, General Manager at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind feedback concerning your experience in our hotel. We are glad that you're satisfied with our service. After the renovation in 2010, we are managed by Starwood Hotels, and is a Luxury Collection brand. Indigenous and exceptional experience is what we serve to the guests. Our team and I look forward to welcoming you back again!

There are newer reviews for The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel

Reviewed 13 March 2012

If you have made it to Beijing, be sure to make it to Tian Jin – the original port and fortress that had to be passed before preceding on to the capital. This historic city of trade and foreign concessions stands a pleasant thirty minute train ride from Beijing South Railroad Station.

And if you decide on a getaway in Tian Jin, be sure to make your way to the riverside Astor Hotel. Founded in 1863, and regularly updated, the last renovation being in 2010, this landmark’s lobby receives you with a dramatic, oriental carpet-ed staircase on one side and a mural of the old city above the registration desk on the other. The rooms are tasteful with upscale amenities. Morning buffet can sustain a variety of appetites. And pride of connection with the hotel shows in each outgoing and helpful staff member - a definite reflection of General Manager Leon J. Lee’s attention-to-people as well as to detail.

Above all, The Astor is a hotel to enjoy. If Agatha Christie or F. Scott Fitzgerald had ever come to China, they would have placed their characters here. It is easy to imagine Hercule Poirot nodding at you from the next table as he takes in the live music of the intimate Ohara’s Lounge, which, by the by, has fine pub food, or Jay Gatsby hoping for Daisy’s arrival as he savors High Tea in the Victorian Lounge, a three-storey, vaulted atrium. For dinner, the 1863 Bistro and Terrace offers a delicious selections with a Russian flair. Or in the same restaurant, changing each month, two of the favorite menus of former guests are prepared. I chose the one favored by the last Emperor, Puyi. All in all, each setting invites you to fine fare at fair prices.

And bringing confluence to all of this is the hotel’s museum. On display are memorabilia and photographs that span the last one hundred and fifty years. Upon seeing all of the diplomacy, intrigue and celebrity that The Astor has hosted, I readily agreed when my husband commented, “ Why would you want to stay anywhere else?”

Peter and Mary

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mary H
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I was recently stayed at The Astor Hotel for a business trip, I have stayed this hotel many times in the past before the hotel renovated to a luxury collection hotel, hotel is beautifully renovated, I stayed at the new wing, very spacious room and trully enjoyed my stay for both leisure and business purpose. Staff were all very friendly and willing to go all the way to meet my expectation. I will definitely recommending this hotel to all if you are planning a visit in Tianjin.

Don't forget to visit thier bar in the old wing, a very relax enviornment and best selection of whiskeys in town, and the wonderful voice of the lady singer performing there. A bar must visit!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Lo Y
The_Astor_Hotel, General Manager at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for your kind feedback concerning your experience in our hotel. We are glad that you rated our hotel so highly. After the renovation in 2010, we are managed by Starwood Hotels, and is a Luxury Collection brand. Indigenous and exceptional experience is what we serve to the guests. Our team and I look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed 27 February 2012

As the Restaurant & Resorts Columnist for Grand Hotels Magazine in Shanghai, I have experienced the fine services of countless hotels in China. A few months ago, I visited The Astor Hotel in Tianjin to write a feature article, which was published in January, and my experiences in the oldest hotel in China were splendid. I was so impressed, I scheduled another visit, a long weekend to just relax and enjoy the fine service, the food, the wine, and especially O'Hara's English Pub, the oldest bar in Tianjin. Reluctantly, I left this morning thrilled again by 3 nights and days of 5 Star hotel bliss. The General Manager, Leon J. Lee, deserves top billing as the organizer of the new personality of The Astor Hotel. The quality of service from the doormen, the front desk, housekeeping, and the restaurant staff was great, but the crowning glory for me is the bar, O'Hara's. It begins with the care and smile of Hedy, the Bar Manager, who arranges, as quickly as possible, to get a high quality cool beverage into your empty hand, including an extensive offering of fine single malt Scotches, which can be accompanied by a fine cigar from their humidor. The most unique feature of this beautifully comfortable bar is the wonderful, live jazz music with female singer. This is my favorite music genre and to find it performed this well is a real blessing, especially when you can have it every night! For me, a perfect day in a hotel is to check-in at The Astor Hotel in the afternoon, relax in my spacious and luxurious room, refresh for dinner, have a Martini in O'Hara's at the bar and talk with the staff and other guests, proceed to the quaint and quiet 1863 Dining Room for some Russian and English Cuisine with classical music and a bottle of fine wine, then go back to O'Hara's for an after dinner drink and a bottle of Champagne and fantastic live jazz. It just can't get any better than this. After 3 nights of such indulgence I had to leave and go back to reality, but while I still feel the "glow" of the experience, I wanted to share this with you. To my taste, The Astor Hotel is my favorite hotel in China, and will continue to be my weekend escape. To read my feature article about The Astor Hotel go to www.grandhotels.com.cn, click on E-Magazine, select the January issue, and go to "Randy's Mailbox". I hope you enjoy it! CHEERS, and see you in O'Hara's! Randy Lee Svendsen

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Randy S

Dear Randy,
Thank you very much for your kind feedback concerning your experience in our hotel. We are glad that you rated our hotel so highly. Indigenous and exceptional experience is what we serve to the guests. I’m glad to know you love our jazz bar so much! Thank you for your beautiful article for our hotel! Our team and I look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed 19 February 2012

As we traveled from Beijing to Tianjin I had no idea what the trip had instore for us . Well I can tell you when we finaly arrived at the Astor my anxitey was taken over happiness by a friendly staff that made me feel right at home . Amenities were like some of the top hotels I have visited . Clean rooms , great workout area , dining in the 1863 restaurant for breakfast every morning was excellent . ( I must admit I was suprised how good it was ) The highlight of the entire stay was in the lounge at the end of very long days . The General Manager welcomed us most nights and made my group feel like we were sitting around the table at a family event. If you travel to Tiajin book your stay here and you will feel as if you are an important valued customer . Thanks Leon and Cocoa for the extra care you two rock!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank John560
The_Astor_Hotel, General Manager at The Astor Hotel, A Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2012

Dear Valued Guest,
We are glad that you rated our hotel so highly. Our O’Hara’s Bar is the oldest bar in Tianjin and serve guests classic single malt, cigar and Jazz. I’m also very happy to talk with you that day.
Our team and I look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed 15 February 2012

Check-in was a bit of a headache. There were some communication problems regarding my SkyMiles card and the SPG program, and (more importantly) we were also not told how to get to our room. We wound up going to the wrong wing of the hotel and wandering for a bit. A cleaning lady was kind enough to take us to our room after I asked. I appreciate that the hotel staff are communicating in a second language, and do not mean to be overly critical of them on these points, but this was a bit of a frustrating way to start our stay.

Our room, in the original wing of the hotel, was very nice and quite comfortable. The bed was probably the most comfortable I have slept on in China. The old wing certainly does give one the feeling of what Tianjin must have been like in "the old days". My wife and I both enjoyed walking around the hotel, reading the various room plaques, and having a drink in the hotel bar. The old photographs of the hotel were especially interesting to look at.
The shower did tend to back up a bit and cause puddles in other parts of the bathroom, but that seems to be the standard in Chinese hotels. Disappointing that it should happen at the Astor, though.

The breakfast in the lobby restaurant was unfortunately not to standard. The western foods had evidently been sitting out a long time – the mini pancakes and french toast that I started to pick up were like pieces of cardboard. The other dishes seemed picked over and were not refreshed in a timely manner. On the plus side, the various fish dishes and the fresh squeezed juice were quite nice, and everyone from the chefs to the wait staff were kind and attentive.

Checkout was a pleasant experience and the desk clerk was very nice.

I don't know that I would stay at the Astor again; if we were to make another weekend trip to Tianjin, I would probably elect to stay in one of the boutique hotels in the Wudadao area. It is certainly interesting to visit the Astor, but I would recommend visiting in the early evening to appreciate the architecture and then have a drink in the bar. From the other reviews on Trip Advisor it seems that our experience was an exception to the rule, but we still left disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback concerning your experience in our hotel. Please take our sincere apology for your bad experience here. I have talked with our team and working on all the issues you mentioned. Actually, we have done a new map which is going to be placed in the lobby to direct our guests better. Please allow me to ask for another chance. We hope you and your friend can come back again and we’ll offer you our real luxurious service. You can contact our Marketing Communication Manager for further assistance soya.song@luxurycollection.com . Our team and I look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed 5 February 2012

I am a sesoned traveller but have never had the opportunity to visit China. Needless to say there was some apprehension about the trip. Immediatley on arrival at the Astor you felt at ease with the grand facade and architecture. Inside the hotel the attentive, polite staff were efficient and leaving you wanting for nothing. The accomodations were very clean, spacious and comfortable. The food was always excellent and the food staff willing to provide you with your every request. Relaxing in the lounge at the Astor after long days was a highlight. Between the entertainment provided, selection of single malt scotches and light snacks it was hard to imagine anything missing. The mangement at the hotel are always on a mission to improve your stay and the level of your experiences. There are very few places I have ever traveled where I've felt more welcome. I hope to have the opportunity to rreturn to this lovely friendly oasis soon. I can't believe that anyone would be dissapointed in this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business