“Excellent stay experience compare with other five star hotels in Tianjin”

Ranked #1 of 1,334 Hotels in Tianjin
Tianjin, China
“Excellent stay experience compare with other five star hotels in Tianjin”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

As a brand-new luxury hotel in Tianjin, my husband and i chose the Ritz carlton to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary. i must tell it is the best choice we made. the hotel decorated extremely beautiful, luxury, and elegant. and i love the fragrance arounding the lobby, which was a little sweety, but not too much. hotel staffs were well trained, and smile all the time and greet us sincerely. more than that, we didn't expect that they can remember our name, and call our name each time when they see us. room is very nice and facilities are high-tech. Zest is the buffet restaurant with perfect dessert! but my favorite is Flair. really enjoyable of staying Ritz carlton!

1 Thank jing0918

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed in a junior suite for 2 nights. The hotel is located in a good location (old part of town). The hotel's facility is good and staff are well trained and courteous. The quality of food at restaurant and room service is not bad - above average. I was in Tainjin during the off season and hotel seems to be less crowded but in certain occasion at bar, restaurant and cafe, I had a difficulty getting an attention of staff. I think the hotel was understaffed maybe to manage the cost during the off season. There are a number of new 5 starts hotels in Tainjin, including St Regis, Banyan Tree, I wonder how they will manage to retain and staff with an experienced hoteliers going forward, not to mention during the peak season. So, I think the hotel is good but service is bit slow (though quality of service is not bad). I however wonder how it will be during the peak season.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank KLTokyo
The Ritz-Carlto... T, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Tianjin, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear Sir,

Greeting from The Ritz-Carlton, Tianjin!

It is our continued mission to provide all of our guests with a personalized stay that creates memories for a lifetime. I truly appreciate the time and length that you have gone to share with us the service deficiencies during your stay. With this feedback we will be able to address service and quality issues; and continue to make improvements to our overall operation.

All of our Ladies and Gentlemen are looking forward to welcoming you back at the Ritz-Carlton, Tianjin. It would also be my pleasure to get in touch directly with you if you ever need any further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at vincent.billiard@ritzcarlton.com

Best Regards,

Reviewed 14 April 2014

My wife and I live and work in Tianjin, but we wanted to just "get out of the house" for a night to celebrate our 4th Wedding Anniversary.

We've often dined at Zest, so it wasn't much of a leap to pick the Ritz-Carlton to stay at - in fact the Executive Chef had asked us every time why we hadn't.

The room was great, but the best thing about it was the bath - nice and deep, long enough to stretch out in, and a plentiful supply of salts to put in it.

While my wife slept in in the morning, I went down and used the swimming pool. Luckily for me, it was empty save for me, and I had the run of the gym, sauna and steam room as well. The pool's just been redecorated, and the waveless design's great. It's a shame I couldn't tempt my wife down there, as she doesn't like swimming much - in this pool, she could touch the bottom and still have her head above the water (and save my neck in the bargain from being clung to!).

The in room facilities were good, with ample buttons and gadgets to fiddle with (push button curtains, anyone?), although I had a terrible time finding something on TV to watch - however, that wasn't the Ritz-Carlton's problem, I just don't like news or sport very much.

We had dinner at Zest the night we checked in, and lunch there just before we checked out. Ornato Antunes, the Executive Chef, has assembled a great team to cook for and staff the buffet, with Angela giving a star turn in her role as the in-house pâtissière (her bread and butter pudding, made from brioche, with Crème Anglaise is to die for. TO DIE FOR!).

Just on the strength of this one night, we've already started saving our pennies towards heading back there again for another getaway!

Room Tip: Pick an even-numbered room, as these face the courtyard, not the street.
29 Thank Stuart B
The Ritz-Carlto... T, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Tianjin, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Mr. Stuart,

Greeting from The Ritz-Carlton, Tianjin.!

I would like to take this opportunity to Thank You for the time you have taken to share your comments and for staying with us. I was delighted to learn that your stay was enjoyable and I am grateful for your kind comments which I have shared with the entire team. Your praise will certainly encourage our Ladies and Gentlemen to continue to make every effort to ensure each and every one of our guests takes away very special memories of their stay.

Best Regards!

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We are travelling a lot with our 3 year old son. As we live in Beijing we wanted to travel by train and not too far: Tainjin is the answer. Ritz Carlton is one of our favorites hotel brands, so this choice was easy. We booked the Carlton Suite for 2 nights. Perfect choice. We asked for an extra bed and even this one has a high quality matress and bedding. Our son slept very well.

Hotel is clean, beautiful decorated, we found staff very well trained. Quality of food was outstanding. Breakfast at lounge is a great start of the day. We used the swimming pool which was not cold. Also massage was very very good.

We had great weather so we could stroll along the river. But even if the pollution is bad, the hotel has everything you need.

It was a very pleasant trip and escape from Beijing. We definitely are coming back after the hot summer.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CRokers
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 April 2014

During a recent business trip to Tianjin (see separate review of the Astor House), I spotted the Ritz-Carlton across the street, and decided to try the place out for a short stay during a recent holiday weekend. Located in Tianjin's former concession district, the Ritz-Carlton opened last year, and looks to be newly-constructed in a vaguely Victorian style.

Tianjin is awash in new five-star hotels, so room rates are extremely competitive. I doubt the hotel is making much money on the rooms, and instead appears to be using F&B and catering/events as the main part of its business plan. Our double room came with one breakfast, and we were told we could buy a second at about $35/head, which is quite steep by local standards. Similarly, the lunch buffet would have clocked in at around $70/head.

The hotel is swarming with friendly employees who smile and greet you. In our experience, unfortunately, that's where much of the "service" ends. A few examples from our 24 hours in the hotel: Hotel staff were nowhere to be found as we humped our luggage through the lobby and looked for the check-in desk. When we asked a door attendant to hail a taxi, he smiled politely and said he was too busy to help. Although he didn't appear to be doing anything else, I suspect he was worried about leaving his post, and the hotel hasn't worked out a system to hail cabs while keeping the front door manned. At the spa, a staff member had a loud phone conversation, apparently with a customer who was cancelling a booking at the last minute. After hanging up, she proceeded to berate the customer in loud tones and vulgar language, within earshot of guests and other staff members. The concierge helpfully printed out a map of the neighborhood - using the back of the hotel's in-house data tracking sheet for VIP guests. Ritz-Carlton's customers may not be delighted to learn that their names and personal preferences are shared so casually with strangers.

On check-in, the hotel follows the standard local practice of taking an advance credit card deposit. When I checked out, however, the hotel staff apparently had no idea how to refund the deposit correctly. No one was trying to rip me off - they just didn't seem to know what they were doing. First, I was told (incorrectly) that I was using a different credit card than the one I used at check-in. Then, the problem was reportedly that my credit card is from a foreign, rather than a Chinese, bank. Even if most of the hotel's customers use Chinese credit cards, surely the staff should know how to handle a foreign card. The inept check-out didn't leave a good impression.

On the positive side, the room itself was very comfortable. The hotel is decorated in a Ye Olde English Manor House-meets-Mid-Atlantic colonial style, with plush bedding and lavish fixtures. The marble bathrooms are especially well fitted-out, and the shower was excellent. Decoration is a matter of taste, of course, but I was amused by the fake books in the bookcases: multiple ersatz copies of "The Count of Mont Cristo" (by Alexandr Dumas?). Best of all - and almost worth an extra star - was the unexpected selection of real books, including a priceless little tome called "The World of Tractors". For me, there's something truly "luxurious" about the incongruous and unexpected.

The room itself was clean. When we first entered, however, the door to the small balcony was open, and the balcony itself was littered with cigarette butts from previous occupants. The "do not disturb" button was broken. We pressed the button for evening turn-down, but the room wasn't serviced.

I didn't bother with breakfast, but my friend said the food was good. The dining room was overflowing, so some guests were accommodated in an "overflow" zone of the lobby.

All of the glitches I mentioned are trivial in and of themselves. Concentrated in a one-night stay, however, they indicate an operation that doesn't yet have its act together.

1 Thank ShiMoke
The Ritz-Carlto... T, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Tianjin, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Greetings from The Ritz-Carlton, Tianjin,

As the General Manager of the Ritz-Carlton, Tianjin. Firstly, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your valuable comments and wish to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that brought to you during your stay with us.

All the experience you had in our hotel have immediately been addressed internally with my teams, we will make sure to improve all elements in order to always deliver a flawless experience to all our guests. Sorry that you had met a few un-satisfied issues during your stay, once again please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of all my Ladies and Gentlemen.

Should you have any further requirments of communication, you can contact me anytime at vincent.billiard@ritzcarlton.com and it will be my pleasure to speak further with you.

And looking forward to see you back in the Ritz-Carlton, Tianjin.

With best regards,

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I recently spent 5 exceptional nights at the Tianjin Ritz. The Hotel itself is very beautiful, in fact it could be called opulent. The common areas and rooms are very formally appointed and provide a high level of comfort. I have traveled worldwide and stayed at many hotels rated in the top 25, and this hotel equaled the best of them. The restaurants are exceptional, as is the Ritz Carlton Lounge. What impressed me as much was the superior staff. From the moment you arrive, the staff all seem to know your name. They are always seeking to serve, and provide some of the most attentive service I have seen. In only five days I became quite spoiled by the service team. When I was checking out, it was like leaving good friends behind. The manager of the club lounge came down from the 9th floor to say good bye. When I go back to Tianjin I will definitely stay at this hotel. It is leagues above the other high end properties in the city where I have stayed.

The hotel is one block from the lovely riverside walk and near many local restaurants.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank kromagnumman
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The Ritz-Carlton Tianjin´s swimming pool looks nice on the photos, and was a major reason why we chose this hotel on a recent weekend escape in April 2014 from Beijing. It seems to be heated a bit, but it was clearly too cold to enjoy. Our 2-year-old son started to shiver after just 3 minutes in the water. 4-year old daughter started shaking after 5.

Another let-down was the breakfast. We went down and were told there was no space for us - all tables taken. They found a sofa for us in the lobby, but getting food from the buffet proved to be a battle worthy of a survival expert - Bear Grills in Tianjin, or something... Hords of Chinese tourists, who must have booked the hotel on cheap package deals (hotel staff with long lists stood at the door making sure everybody´s name was on the list), and they were eating like they hadn´t been fed for weeks: Some were stuffing plastic bags full of food for the day´s excursions, others packed 20 (!) xiaolong bao onto one plate. Basically, it was hard to get enough to eat, because whenever the brave staff served up something, it was erased from the buffet tables within seconds. Also it was difficult to get into the first row at the buffet in the first place...

Only the bill for the breakfast came swiftly, and it wasn´t short. Try this experience with two young kids, and you will understand that we will not be back too soon. On a positive note: We told our little ones that we were going to visit "a castle", and seing their joy when walking into this fake replica of one was worth all the rest. I guess...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank YoungOldChinaHand
The Ritz-Carlto... T, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Tianjin, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Greetings from The Ritz-Carlton, Tianjin,

I wanted to take this opportunity to Thank you for your message and wish to Sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that these unfortunate events have brought to you and your family.

The incidents that you have mentioned have immediately been addressed internally with my teams and we will continuously strive to improve all elements in order to always deliver a flawless experience to all our guests. We have clearly failed to do so during your stay, once again please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of all my Ladies and Gentlemen.

I am glad to hear that your children enjoyed our hotel’s architecture and please be assured that we are continuously striving to match this with an great guest experience and hope to have a chance for you to experience it again in better conditions.

I would love the opportunity to get in touch with you directly and you can contact me anytime at vincent.billiard@ritzcarlton.com and it will be my pleasure to speak further with you.

Once again, thank you for your comments and hope to hear from you in the near future.

Best regards,