“Generally Good Hotel but cleaniness could be improved”

Tianjin Golden Ocean Hotel
Ranked #625 of 1,350 Hotels in Tianjin
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed for two nights at this hotel as a family. We booked a twin room and a double room. We found the room sizes to be very good. All the amenities were provided - including TV, ethernet broadband, valet services, laundry service, luggage storage etc. I would have preferred wifi in the rooms but there is wifi in the lobby.

Everything was clearly labelled particularly the things not included in the room price. They provided a neat list of all the things in the minibar and their price, which is not something most chinese hotels do as they want their customers to accidentally spend money.

The staff were very professional and friendly but their english was not very good. It's much better if you can understand some basic mandarin.

The rooms were clean except the bit behind the toliet seat. Some of the towels had dust on them a looked like it had not been touched for a while. The mattress was very hard, which I gather is quite normal for chinese hotels. The carpet was slightly stained and both rooms had an faint smell at night which we really couldn't identify. It seemed to disappear if we opened the windows for more than 30 mins but then it would return once we closed them.

I recommend everyone who wants to stay here to bring silicon earplugs. The noise from the traffic in the streets below carries very far up and continues throughout the night. The actual rooms were quite sound proof.

The attached restaurant is very convenient and offers a nice variety of chinese dishes. They were obviously more expensive than you would get elsewhere in Tianjin but you can put the bill onto your hotel card and worry about it later.

The location is very central, but there is always a horrendous traffic jam during rush hour and it can be hard to get anywhere in a cab between 7-9am and 5-7pm. The metro station is about 10 minutes walk away but the stations are very limited and its much easier to see Tianjin via taxi than bus or metro.

In all I think this hotel is generally good, though its cleaniness could be improved upon.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

I was switched for this hotel away from the Holiday Inn Riverside. Found that the hotel was not designed for international travelers that don't speak mandarin. Had communications issues with lobby staff and restaurant staff. Restaurant food was good though. Note that many hotels do not offer A/C including this one and the local traffic is extremely load to have windows open.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Andy L
Reviewed 11 October 2012

The Standard room is big,but fitment and faciliticies looks like out of times, check out for a long time, service is not good. Location near in the city center, traffic is heavy, but there are lots restaurant and KTVs entertainment sites, enough convenient.

Room Tip: The Standard room is big
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 October 2012

My first visit to Tianjin. Hotel excellent location to subway and within walking distance to many attractions. Room very clean and comfortable. Staff helpful especially when I found myself ill with minor complaint. English spoken. Good place to meet local friends on for business. Unlike many hotels I've stayed spent time in China, the room I had, at the back of the hotel, was not overlooking a noisy courtyard. Nor were any of the other room occupants noticable. it seems to be a popular wedding venue, but again, this did not intrude on my stay. Would stay here again the next time i am in Tianjin.

Room Tip: all room locations appear to be good. Mine was at the back.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This was our first trip by ourselves to Tianjin and we didn't know what to expect. Tianjin Golden Ocean Hotel has been a great choice. Staff is most helpful and immediately upgraded us to Executive Suite from Deluxe Room. Breakfast is good and we especially love the Tianjin specialty the fried dough twist (ma hua). Hotel is just 3 minutes walk to Carrefour . It's also not too far from the famed "Cultural Street" and "Food Street" of Tianjin-both are a short taxi ride. Although the hotel building looks old from outside, room is most comfortable and very well kept and maintained and has a very European feel.
We met Maggie Qiu and she even took us round to show us some apartment rooms which would really be good for small family stay.
Although the Deluxe King room seems to be a bit on the high side (comes with only 1 breakfast) by Tianjin standard, we'll still come back the next time we come to Tianjin again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Average hotel within walking distance of the shopping street and shopping centres. Large room and large bathroom with great view of the traffic down below. The bed is large but harder than sleeping on the floor, not sure what the mattress is made of but not anything soft. Hotel lobby is nice but restaurants are sleepy and difficult to find, recommend the local restaurants across the street. Breakfast is dissapointing.

Room Tip: As high as possible to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank NBlacks
Reviewed 28 May 2011

I was recently in Tianjin for my wedding with my Chinese wife. We hosted our wedding in a large banquet room of the Golden Ocean Hotel, so we booked an upper-level suite for our wedding night.

When we finally returned to our room around 9 pm, the temperature in the room was over 30 C (85 F). We turned the A/C on for roughly 45 minutes without a change in the temperature, so we called the front desk to complain.

They sent a first repairman, who looked about 15 years old, who played with the thermostat, claimed to have fixed the problem, and left. 15 minutes later, no change to the room temperature.

We called again to the front desk who again sent up the young repairman, this time with his supervisor. They used a ladder to climb into a vent, banged around for 5 minutes, claimed it was fixed and left. 15 minutes later, no change to the room temperature.

We called the front desk again and this time I demanded to speak to a manager. By now, it's about 11 pm (2 hours wasted "fixing" the A/C so far). The manager decides to move us to a new room across the hall. Lo and behold, the AC is broken here, too. The manager doesn't believe me when I tell him that the air coming out is warm, and he leaves.

30 minutes pass, it's far too warm to be comfortable, so we demand another room change. Yet another manager comes to the room and tells us that the AC is broken on all floors above ~ 15th floor (these rooms were on 27).

Someone knew the AC was broken, yet they pretended to fix it and move us around the same floor for 2 and a half hours?! I'm getting angry, but the worst is yet to come.

We finally get a room on the 15th floor and the AC is working - I can actually sit in the room without sweating like a dog. My wife is crying because it's midnight on our wedding night and we only just got to a comfortable room. I'm yelling at the manager about their terrible service, and he promises us a free room, free mini bar, free breakfast served to our room, and on and on. I'm consoled, my wife feels better, so we agree to his terms but he refuses to put them in writing for us (should have been a red flag).

The following morning, we call the room service to deliver our pre-ordered breakfast. They tell us they don't have the ingredients to make half the items that we ordered. (Items that we ordered an hour before, which were on the menu, which they said would arrive in 20 mins. 1 hour later, no food, and they tell us they can't make an omelet. Seriously - you don't have eggs at your 5 star hotel? Because I sat next to a chicken on the bus in your city. She practically laid an egg on my lap.)

We finally decide to just check out, and what do you know - the front desk tells us they know nothing of the manager Steven Feng, and they certainly can't give us a free room. I finally lose my cool, teach the manager on duty some new vocabulary, and long story short - they refunded every yuan we had paid and hailed a taxi for us to get out of there.

So in short: they lied, they pretended to be fixing an AC they knew was broken, they lied some more, they wasted 4 hours of my wedding night, then they went back on service promises the next morning and tried to charge us extra.

Do not stay here at any cost.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple