“They could do better” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Kovalam
Hyderabad, India
“They could do better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

My wife and I stayed in the resort for two nights in Jan 2014. Bathroom floor and door were worn out. Restaurant served good food but options were limited for vegetarians. Breakfast spread was average.
While resort is named as Ayurvedic resort, the treatment rooms and ambience are very average.
While room tariff was reasonable, they can make the facilities neater and cleaner and spa needs to be upgraded.
Staff in the resort is quite polite and helpful.
P C Jain

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Padam46

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Francistown, Botswana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

We, couple, spent 3 weeks in this Resort in order to get rejuvenation and detoxification program for our body. We wanted to be pampered. Unfortunately Ayurveda treatment is not met my husband expectation, he lost only 2 kg but supposed to lose 5-8 kg as minimum. For female this treatment is perfect! It works and it worth!
If you wish to get relaxation,wonderful service and stunning view go to Somatheeram Resort. Even House boating tour with them cost to book.
The Arabian Sea is warm and clean with a big waves but there is a drive :)).
I enjoyed yoga class at the morning and 4 hands massage although the use of large amounts of massage coconut oil did not bring much pleasure.
I can say that this place is for those who works hard and for those who wish to get rid of stress and tension.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank irina s
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

This is an easy hotel to review as it delivers exactly what it sets out to – but you need to decide if that is what you are looking for.

Rooms: Mostly circular huts. Comfortable, but a bit dark and not particularly luxurious – bathroom in particular was rather basic. Everything you need (including mosquito net), but not much else.
Wifi: Surprisingly good connectivity.
Pool: Nice if a little small with nice shady areas for sunbathing
Setting: Absolutely stunning on a small cliff overlooking one of the most spectacular beaches I’ve ever seen
Beach: A three-minute walk from the resort. Absolutely huge – both long and wide – predominantly very clean, with comfortable hotel loungers and umbrellas, a few moderately annoying hawkers, a majestic powerful sea (that I could watch for hours), and lovely soft sand.
Food and drink: No alcohol, painfully relaxed service (especially at breakfast), reasonable veg buffet but pricey (if not included in your package?), fabulous value grilled fish and prawns (with fries), and an otherwise fairly limited a la carte menu.
Service: Very good, excluding the speed of service for breakfast
They offer spa packages, yoga and ayurvedic treatments which seem good value and seemed pretty popular judging by the number of people wandering around the resort in green robes.

To visit Kovalam will cost you about 200Rupees by Tuk tuk – 400 return including two hour wait. There are some local shops, up a steep hill, they mostly sell tourist souvenirs and fabrics though, and sadly for me – no beer or chocolate shops ;-)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mundii
guadeloupe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

I spent 10 nights in this hotel, I was very well welcomed , the room I requested was not available so I spent two nights in another room that was not clear enough , then reception gave me satisfaction .All the staff were wonderful and the care about all the customers..
After a visit to the doctor i get my treatment , which were correct.
It seems that this property receive a lot of groups so consultations are a little fast...
The food is very good and very fresh.
The cottages are lovely and clean, the matrass has to be changed for confortable one.
In the reception you can access internet, cousins ​​of the reception should be changed because it is the first thing you see when coming and it does not show a good picture of cleanliness.
I could probably go back at this property.
Avoid the jewelery shop located in the hotel but with a different management, the people who run this store just an idea in mind, push you to buy but do not consider the client, they are not professional, youwill have better prices + smile in the street of the hotel...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank doudou977
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

My wife and I had a memorable 10 days at the Somatheeram resort near Kovalam in Kerala.
From the warm reception on arrival to the moving farewell given when leaving left a lasting pleasant memory .Every aspect of the stay had been meticulously planned and each member of the wonderful team carried out their assigned duties and more with a smile and purpose.
Krishna Priya at the reception was always available to help with a smile.The manager of the site Ajens, the restaurant manager Anup ,the chef Georgie spared no effort to make our stay a pleasant one.The waiters in the restaurant to the room service and the gardeners were all wonderful.
Chitra in charge of the resort made the reservation smooth and was. At hand to make sure all was well at all time.
All in all a worth while stay ,assessing the benefits of the Ayurweda treatment is very personal .

Room Tip: Request a room with a good view of the sea,the west end round the corner from the restaurant
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

I visited Somatheeram In Nov 2011 and was there for 3 weeks. I had done extensive research on the type accommodation and treatment that I wanted and this ticked all the boxes.

I arrived in the early morning after a long flight and my room was not ready :( I was given a room in the neighboring building no more than 10 seconds away, no big issue as all I wanted to do was have a shower and sleep. After a brilliant nights sleep I went to reception and was shown my room.

I got a beautiful cottage room facing the ocean and the beach. The views were amazing. If you are looking for 5 star luxury these cottages are not for you. I was however very happy with this. A bed, safe, shower all the basics and peace......... what more do you need!

My main reason for visiting was to have treatment done on my lower back due to scoliosis. I met the doctor on the first day that i was there and they put together a treatment plan which I had to follow. The treatment given was some of the best out there. Shana who gave me all my treatments is probably one of the nicest, professional individual you will ever meet.

After about 10 days I had to move rooms as my room had been double booked. I requested a room next to the pool. I was moved straight away, and i didn't have to move any of my ridiculous amount of luggage. Nothing is an issue for these guys. Another stunning room.

From breakfast to lunch to dinner everything is perfect. I am a veggie and also very fussy!! They would make changes to any of the dishes that i asked for. After the first couple of days they would see me walking up and start to prepare my breakfast and have my tea ready. These are the most polite staff that I have ever had the pleasure to speak to. Always smiling and always positive.

On a couple of days each week they would have some entertainment for the guest. It was nice to watch the dancing and the music that was being played. Helped to put a nice end to the day. They also offer free wifi in the reception area which is a plus and have really fast room service.

I came to Somatheeram very stressed, tired and in pain. I know the treatment is not permanent but it relived a lot of the pain. When I left Somatheeram I left with a different view on life. I have never been so relaxed and calm.

Thank you Somatheeram. I will have no problems recommending you and I will definitely be back!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank RinksB
kulasekharam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed with my family in the somatheeram resort, where had a toddler.i liked the for it's ambience.. it seem to have a soothing and healing effect some how... the sight of the different waves and the ocean, the trees to take your mind into a sort of introspection into oneself... the base category rooms were tor 6000 rupees a day...in the off season that too..as we settled down.. the room had an old English colonial architectural touch to it with a Kerala make over.. traditional, peaceful and elegant.. i really liked the ambience it gave out...every Cottage had it's own outside space with seating chairs...bathrooms were clean..but lacked good exhaust... it opened into the room itself which was displeasing....

the is wifi...so to speak only.. there is never a range...it's good to say that there is no internet at all... it was so frustrating... they take money for this but the quality of Service is pathetic..so we felt cheated..i think they should just say that there is no internet at all... or impossible their wifi up.

we had checked into ac cottage .i had specifically asked them about this as it was summer and really hot... but we were in for a shock.. add soon as we arrived to the room found that ac is not switching on...had to call them severel time before i got any response...pathetic service..it seemed that after they took the money they were least but bothered about our stay... it was hot we sweated out totally....it was getting so unpleasant.. like we paid for or misery.. felt so bad and cheated for the money we had paid... turtle on the beach hotel was giving rooms at cheaper rates and it was gorgeous ...we knew we had wasted over money... they told us that there is no power.. and they don't have Generator for the ac..they were not sure when the power would come.. this was horrible... i told them that i wanted to leave..and wanted my money back... they gave a blunt response. ..this was so unprofessional...so we suffered inthe heat and waited to check out...

the pool was small and not clean lot of insects in it... didn't like it

food was not tasty at all... would end up hating it ifi had eat it for more than day...and it was hugelyoverpriced....

for all that the explanation given it's that it's a ayurvedic resort.. comforts are not the criterion.. but then why should the price be so high then...

so it was not worth the money..Service was pathetic. .staff were not understanding...

but the place has some strange effect on the mind... it soothes...heals...asks you to introspect... find solutions to the conflicts with in... takes your soul far away from the world...puts silence to those ripples of the mind so tosay...

would want to go back again for this...

• Stayed April 2013