“still unspoilt (just) and great value”
Review of Lighthouse Beach

Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Kovalam
Reviewed 17 May 2009

We travel to Koalam January and February and have done so for many years, the climate at this time of the year is great 31/34 degrees and dry, and best of all by 6pm a drop of 10 degrees makes a very comfortable eavening.The monsoon season normally the u.k summer/autum is best avoided for the humidity and also many establishments close. If you haggle well a a/c room with a sea view is very affordable,contact the hotel direct by e.mail or telephone as l now call India for 2p to 4 p a minuet. Ask the regulars where to eat, we all know where to avoid, but do try the5* Taj Hotelat Samudra beach regular theme dinners for 750/- to 1000/- all you can eat, as well as endless fosters beer(Fridays), Mollys for roast dinner Sundays(not tried) and steak & mushroom pie Wednesdays excellent but do remember to book. The italian , waterfront, and third rock resturants nearby are all very good, and l find the Palm beach resturant on Lighthouse beach one of the best for fresh fish and sea food, but do remember you have to have patience as you will have to wait for your meal, its allways prepared fresh from scratch. happy hour at the Leela 6pm to 8pm 5* surroudings local bar prices, do make sure you ask for the happy hour drinks, also the all you can eat buffet is good but do go hungry. we normally allocate £12 to £15 per day for food & a few drinks, with the exception when we vist the 5* hotels. The new airport at Trivandrum should be open this June makeing arriveing and departing a lot better. A little note on Goa much more organised than Kerela rather hectic at times but like Benidorm all you could wish for in the way of resturants, flea markets and entertainment.

8  Thank derekcox66

Reviewed 13 February 2009

LIGHT HOUSE BEACH OF KOVALAM KERALA INDIA
Long sandy beach safe in the water the waves rise after us when we are in the deep waters and go to the shore with roar pushing those near the beach. Life gaurds whistle and warn us the limit of the deep water and never allow anybody to cross the limit. Enjoyable sean of the beach plays children with their sand castle tunnels, beach foot ball, frisby, acrobatic, cricket, running races by both the genders. beach view resorts. !!!!! costly food made on order only . Even week back after return a splash of water reminds me my family and kids laugh of joy in the water.
memories by RAVIRAJ.Coimbatore Tamuilnadu INDIA

4  Thank ravirajkrishnan
Reviewed 29 November 2008

I went to Goa in 2000 and must admit enjoyed the 2 weeks there, and fell in love with India. Found Goa too much touristy and looked for somwhere more 'indian'.
We booked a charter to Kerala and stayed at the Seaview Palace Hotel, Lighthouse Beach, Kovalam which was very basic but clean with very helpful staff. The journey via charter was very cramped and uncomfortable and probably hasn't changed.
The following year we decided after talking to many people who spend more than 2 weeks there to fly scheduled. We booked with Emirates with a stop in Dubai. Much more comfortable and if you get the right connection not much longer than the chartered flight. We used Owners Direct for accomondation. We have stayed in a 4 bedroomed villa a 3 bedroomed apartment and a 2 bedroomed villa all were very good value for money.
But Lighthouse beach is the place to go for a very relaxing holiday with guaranteed weather. I have just returned from a trip there and although it was only a week I feel relaxed.
I guess if your looking for every convinience and everything spotlessly clean then this is not the place to go. There are beggars but if you are stern with them they go away. The beach sellars (selling fresh fruit) are more persistent but again a friendly no several times works. However if your looking for a safe place, fantastic food, good beaches, surf, history, natural beauty and of course the Kerala locals then you will not regret the journey.

9  Thank gog1952
Reviewed 21 March 2008

We went to Kovalam in kerala March 2008 after visiting Goa for many years and thought we would like to try a different area. Big mistake. First the good news, the locals are very helpful and seem genuine and I can not fault them. What they mostly have is basic and simple and will help you in any way they can. Out of the resort it is very difficult to find anyone that understands English. If you break down it can be difficult to obtain help even from your hire company. When you think it's sorted they just seem to change plans, but hey Ho this is India after all. We travelled extensively by motor bike, when it worked. The real down side? Unsanitary conditions with horrible smells greeting you where ever you travel. The rain washed all types of rubish onto the unsavory streets and black beaches. Fish is displayed outside at restaurants with no ice and portions cut out of them in the open for fly’s to land on. Chicken always seemed hard (old birds maybe) but veg ok and good. Oh but the humidity and the rain, it rained and rained and rained, the moisture just hung in the trees like a fog. If you suffer from chest complaints as I do just don’t go there. Nothing ever dried, not in your hotel room or anywhere else and I felt like I was drowning all the time, no sleep for two nights as I woke up gasping for breath. My wife and other tourists I spoke to all uncharacteristically complained of tight chests. I paid over £500 to fly out early on the Emirates air line and I consider it the best money I have ever spent. I truly thought I would not survive another three days there. They wanted to hospitalise me and I felt truly desperate and decided to make a break for it. I stayed in an air conditioned room and my wife found us an A/C taxi. As soon as I boarded the plane I started to feel better and the following day in the UK I was back to normal. Next March? It’s back to Goa again.

8  Thank catoliver
Reviewed 28 January 2008

Kovalam is a friendly resort with three sandy beaches, Hawa beach , Lighthouse beach and Rockholm beach, the first two are patrolled by lifeguards and tourist police by day and the crime rate is very low which makes it a safe family friendly resort.

The beaches are clean and safe bathing available in the warm Arabian sea, the areas tourism department has a waste recycling policy and in general the beach area is clean although some locals still prefer to throw waste indiscriminately through the back areas.

There are many restaurants with varying cuisine but most are unlicensed to sell alcohol although this does not stop them doing so and your beer may be presented in a tea mug and the bottle hidden beside you on the floor, spirits are also available but wine however is an expensive choice here.

There are ATM's and a supermarket at Kovalam junction which is at most 3KM depending on which area of the beach you are residing.

Ayurevedic treatment is widely available here and at the time of writing (2008) an hours massage costs around 650 Rupees, again be aware of the unscrupulous and look for a place that is run by qualified staff and has a doctor trained in ayurveda in charge. .

There are many sight seeing tours available and again at varying prices it is always best to source trips locally rather than pay exorbitant rates to tour reps, ask at your hotel for a reputable tour firm or go directly to a taxi driver for prices, at the end of the day it is the same people who will be employed for your trip via the tour reps etc. Most of all dot be afraid to barter.

I have been fortunate enough to be able to spend many months here with my wife in retirement and have stayed in many hotels over the past several years, the place is improving facilities year by year but in general it is a quite relaxing place with out discos, nightclubs or indeed general entertainment at all.

Accommodation prices are wide ranging along with the standard of accommodation available. I can recommend Greenshore apartments at lighthouse beach who has its own website with guest book and photographs for review online.

In general the season is at its busiest in December and January so it is best to book early for this period as accommodation becomes scarce at these times.

35  Thank IMK24