Niraamaya Retreats Surya Samudra
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Paradise Gardens Beach Resort & Ayurveda(Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum))
View Hotel
Agastya Ayurveda Garden(Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum))
Nikki's Nest(Vizhinjam)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
1,196 results
All reviewschef prakashrock gardenheritage premiumoctagon roommosque viewprivate beachthe banyan treeoutdoor showerinfinity poolfour poster bedspa treatmentsthe cottagesheaven on earthoverlooking the seaexcellent spamosquito netsound of the waves
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Niraamaya retreats for 2 nights in the monsoon (July 2013) during our honeymoon. The moment we entered the property we sensed it would be a different experience altogether. We stayed at the pandanus seafacing cottage. The view from there was awesome. Staffs were very courteous and friendly, the way they maintained the property was noteworthy. Food at the essence, Clean pool, private beach, meditation centre, greenery all around. .. everything was just perfect for a 'retreat'. Therapy at Niraamaya spa was worth mentioning, healing indeed. The atmosphere was almost Tapovan like. Surely would love to come back again.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Dr_Sourav_Agarwala
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stayed with them for 3 nights last year

Room: We had booked their Heritage Premium cottage which they claim have “panoramic view of the sea”. However, when we were shown to our cottage, it seemed quite far from the ocean. The name of the cottage was “Cinnamon”. Aside from the view, the cottage was pretty nice, Kerala style, fully wooden with a sit-out, and an open air bathroom. But since we had paid extra for a sea facing cottage, we were expecting to see & hear the sea up-close. They claimed to have no other rooms vacant and we asked to speak to their manager. He finally arranged to move us to a cottage called “Octagon” on Day 1 itself, which got its name as it was shaped like a octagon. The cottage had glass sliding doors with ocean view, a partially open-air bath area and awesome solid wood furniture. The view from the cottage was out of this world, simply mesmerizing, this must be their finest cottage. This must have had one of the best views of all rooms I've ever stayed in. And the sound of the waves loud and clear. Also worth mentioning is that Forest Essentials products are provided in all their rooms, which are a treat to use.

Service: Their service was good but I was off-put by the random rules they had enforced. For instance, they had a tray charge of 500 bucks for room deliveries, which was ridiculous. Since we were traveling with kids, we had to order milk and other small items off their menu, and this charge was off-putting. I raised this with their restaurant who again directed me to the manager, who agreed to waive it off. My question was, why have this charge and have customers complain and then waive it off?

Facilities, Food: The resort grounds are very clean and maintained very well. It looks great at night. The cottages are spaced out and offer good privacy. They have this stone structure where they teach Yoga, it looks breathtaking during the sunset. Their food per-say is good, but the choice is pretty limited since they don't have a buffet and their restaurant menu is not very exhaustive. It was particularly difficult to order for kids. They also have an Italian restaurant which is open for dinner. Prices are on the higher side, not just for food but also for cold drinks, and bottled water.

Location: They are located in a small village with no shops nearby. So, getting snacks and munchies from outside seem out of question, unless you have a personal vehicle. This combined with an unexciting menu made the kids very hassled for food. They have a door on the boundary which opens up right near a sandy beach which is not crowded at all, and the sunsets are lovely. There's another steep staircase near the restaurant which goes down to another little beach area which is bounded on both sides.

In summary, I would strongly recommend Niraamaya for honeymooners and couples, but with some reservations for families with kids. This is also not suitable if you're traveling with elders, as the beach access is rather steep and walkways around the resort uneven.

Room Tip: The Octagon room is their best
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank manikgrover
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed at The Oberoi in Bangalore, The Taj (Kovalam) and the Leela (Kovalam). This was the best accommodation of the 4 places. The sound of the ocean was so amazing - never have we slept so close to the ocean. We had adjoining rooms - one for us parents and one for our daughter. They had a monsoon special that made it pretty good value. The views were fabulous and the beaches had very few people on them. I did try to go for a swim and the guards / staff got very nervous - in fact I had to speak to management to even be allowed on one of the beaches. I swim in Australia in strong surf conditions, but it seems in India they have a fear of waves.

The breakfast was delicious and the service was excellent. One of the wait staff stood out - Deepak. Dinner was also amazing. The juices are a must - as is the thali.

We did have some confusion when we arrived about what was available. On the website it had the monsoon special, yet when we were shown the rooms, we were told there was no interconnecting rooms. Then we were told there were and then they didn't know about the website offer! Eventually it was sorted and we didn't have any issues from then. Free wifi also.

Great friendly service, great good and great views.

Relaxing, natural setting, lovely villas and a great place to unwind and enjoy the ocean.

Room Tip: Get the premium delux - right on the ocean (i think we had Ibis & adjoining room)
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2014

An amazing resort with an beautiful location, we feel like we are in the middle of ocean with sound of waves hit ur ears all the time. The staffs will delight you for each an every moment you stay here.The memories will never faint in such an oceans place. Love to come back and I never had such an wonderful experience in my life !! Fantastic is the word !!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We chose Kerala as our destination for honeymoon within India and planned to come from abroad for 4-5 days just for this.

I have numerous praises for the hotel and will DEFINITIVELY make a return with a bigger group. Everything positive written about this hotel is not enough and one needs to actually experience it in person to fully appreciate what the resort has to offer.

However, I will start by focusing on the things that unfortunately did not go too well - if it happened to us, it can happen with anyone.

The resort has basically Sea facing (Heritage premium), Garden facing ( Heritage Classic) and two presidential suites, the Octagon (Facing sea) and the Baniyan Tree ( in the Garden area). Reservations for the Octagon/ Baniyan tree cannot be made online and needs to be called in where they A) book it right away for you or B) upgrade you if you have a existing reservation and you pay the difference.

Note: The reservation # folks are not in Kerala and they actually work in Bangalore.

The folks up there asked us to follow the procedure and after getting assured of the Octagon availabiliy for 3 out of the 4 days we were staying I went and booked the Classic premium with Expedia. Not only that, purchased Air tickets from Canada to India - tickets from Delhi to Kerala (did not tell my wife where we were heading surprised her) / car rentals etc etc you name it.

I call in to upgrade my booking to the presidential suite and am assured by the rep that 3 out of the 4 days are taken care off. I offered to pay for it right away to which rep declined and asked that we pay during check in.

The next day I call back to see if the 4th day opened up and to my horror I am given varied excuses ranging from some system problems did not hold my room to another rep by mistake already took payment from the guest staying the night before and extended their stay. I am at this point mortified since its for my honeymoon and my intention was to find the best for my wife. I called leela and unfortunately they were booked as well....

Upon pestering and sweet talking my way through I learn that the person who extended his stay in our booked room had a group reservation with couple of rooms blocked and he used that particular clout to basically ensure we got screwed.

Hey - we got the heritage premium sea facing for 3 days and were given the Presidential suite complimentary on the 4th day... saved 40K in the process. But sometimes it isnt about the money - that feeling of being cheated always lingered for the rest of the trip and to some extent even now... and no amount of money saved now or in future has made it right.

I keep hearing praises about the food in there. My wife is vegetarian as such we were sticking with limited experimentation in our diet. The food was below par, at least for the 4 days we were there on strictly vegetarian diet. Im sorry. I really tried enjoying the food and im not fussy.. but even I had a hard time justifying to my wife about the food quality and had a hard time controlling my embarassed smile. The Sambar was basically Arhaar (Pigeon pea) Daal. The paneer tikka was plain paneer out of the fridge dipped in Palak (spinach) and felt microwaved. The same story was with other few dishes we tried as well.

Note: Maybe the restaurant is known for its non-veg dishes since being on the coast. I may be out of line and maybe that menu is spectacular so im no one to judge. However, the last day we met Vishnu the chef and uttered him our dissapointment. I will give the chef adn the management 5 stars that they actually made an attempt to address our concern. The minute we walked in the restaurant the next day, whole staff was willing to suggest dishes and told us that we should ask the dishes to be made "north indian style" since their clientele is mostly foreigners and they keep spices to a minimum. Their attempt to spice things up was OK to an extent but still left a lot to be desired. However, i still give them 5 stars for actually having a closed discussion amongst themselves regarding a guests dissatisfaction and trying to make amends....

Now the positives !!!!

The resort staff is EXTREMELY accomodating and helpful. Anitha is a gem and will always be hovering around you to make sure you are taken care off. We got a complimentary taxi to and from the resort whcih was a nice gesture.

I havnt seen this anywhere else but housekeeping actually comes twice a day to clean rooms. We had to hush the staff away many times and told them to take it easy during our stay there. The premises are secure with restricted access and there are always guards walking past you all night.

The SPA is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Guys, you can get away with murder long as you treat your wife there ;)

We also met the operations head during the last day of our stay and he was nice enough to apologise about our reservation botch up and assured us of a pleasant experience next time we decide to come.

All in all - highly satisfied... given my 5 star rating of this resort... will definately head straight up here - no questions asked if travelling south !

Room Tip: Octagon is a MUST ! if you are going to splurge by visiting this place.. might as well spend a little more and ENJOY evey bit of it !!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple