Well, we were very excited about the prospect of staying at this hotel. We have been on a trip for some time and this was one of our last hotels in Southern India.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, make sure that your "BUNGALOW" has airconditioning. Our bungalow faced away from any breeze, even though we were right on the beach and there was no air conditioning. We paid more to stay on the beach site and not up in the hills where cabins did have airconditioning (but no view)The mosquitos were everywhere and the net over the bed left quite a bit to be desired. Belive me, the lonely old oscillating fan could not dry the swaet on us as we slept. The most uncomfortable supposedly nice hotel I have ever stayed in.
The staff at the hotel were very, very unfriendly to both us and our guides, something that was a real turnoff to witness.
The pool is a nice color of green and we got to witness a young local boy diving in to clean the rocks beneath. Believe me the pool was never as clean as the picture on their website.
Food was disappointing and believe me this is a 2 1/2 star hotel, with the best location in India. Crows also hover over the area and brazenly stole butter from our breakfast table to the shock of our next door table...turn your head and they are on it like vultures!!!!
A few positives for your evaluation:
The Spa is EXCELLENT!
The seclution is wonderful, if that is what you are looking for.
The adjacent beach is quite beautiful and unpopulated, however the dogs on the beach might bite you.
My suggestion, please look at other hotels before booking here. Our guide said that they do not recommend that their trvellers stay there because they are so rude and the facilities are not as good as other comparably priced hotel in this area.
Also, note that there is really no real reception or front desk. To check out you have to go to the restaurant clerk in another uncomfortable room with no airconditioning and write in their book and pay...I was polite and just said "Hotter than Hell Hotel Stay!!!!"
Best of luck!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Now re-opened under a new management as Surya Samudra Private Retreats. Relais & Chateaux Luxury heritage beach resort. Adjoining two pristine, unspoilt beaches and completely secluded from the busy tourist areas of Kovalam. Enjoy complete privacy and serenity. Stay in a carefully restored traditional Kerala tharavadu dwelling. At our Spa Niraamaya, highly trained therapists pamper you with herbs, oils, and concoctions that relax your body, revitalise your mind, and renew your spirit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Agoda, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Niraamaya Retreats reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Surya Samudra Private Retreats Hotel Kovalam
- Surya Samudra Beach Garden Hotel
- Surya Samudra Beach Garden Spa
- Niraamaya Retreats Kovalam, Kerala