“Mixed feelings”

Thapovan Heritage Home
Ranked #17 of 53 Hotels in Kovalam
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I am really torn about this place. The environment and landscape is lovely ( beautiful gardens and beach side location), the food is great, the staff helpful and we had 2 excellent massages. But for me it was a disappointment. We had a beach cottage, one of the four directly adjacent to the beach. I found the room very dark and damp. It was good to be able to sit outside and watch the sea, but the room itself was not a pleasant place to be. And you do need to like the roar of the sea because it was really loud. I would have preferred a cottage further from the beach - these cottages seemed to be more spacious and had a huge verandah with views of the beach through the landscaped gardens. At the time we were there ( October 2013) the sea was very rough and there was no way you could safely swim there, but it was good to walk along the beach and to watch the fishers, and watch the sunset.
We were also disappointed about the lack of internet and phone connection at the beachside part of the hotel ( we walked up the steep hill to reception for internet and phone reception), but I can understand that some guests would like the peace and quiet and the fact that there was no internet or phone reception at the beach campus.

Room Tip: Ask to have a look at the rooms and make your own choice
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie991181

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Thapovan is truly an oasis. It is located in a beautiful area, half an hour from Trivandrum, and it is a place of tranquilly, a place where guests can relax and unplug. It has a beautiful and authentic Ayurvedic medical center, where treatments are administered thoughtfully and with care. Dr. Anand is knowledgeable and prescribed effective treatments. Message therapists are also well trained and take the time to listen to patients. I spent three weeks at Thapovan in September 2013 and experienced various treatments. The meals were also good and kitchen and grounds staff members were all friendly and attentive to our requests.

But, in my opinion, the jewel of Thapovan is the yoga teacher, Santhosh. I have traveled in India before and had yoga classes in other locations, and I am currently taking yoga classes in New York, so that I am able to assess the qualities of a yoga master. Santhosh is a really fine yoga instructor and a very special human being. I did not expect such devotion to students and excellent knowledge of yoga as I experienced in his program. It would be well worth my time to go to Thapovan just for relaxation and tranquility and to have morning classes with Santhosh. His classes can exceed 2 hours, which is quite rare nowadays, and they helped me feel energized for the entire day. He includes pranayama and various yoga asanas and he patiently helped each of us during every asana. Not only were these good yoga classes, but also offered the benefit of his intelligent adjustments. Those who practice yoga know that this is quite rare. I highly recommend that my friends go to Thapovan, to take ayurvedic treatments and, of course, to study yoga with Santhosh.
Natalia

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank knyazhnaNatalia
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Following are the good points
Clean & Spacious room
Excellent location
Co-Operative Staff
Maintained Good Kitchen
Best experience of our travel to kerala
Recommend this Resort to all who are looking for peaceful

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Me and my husband stayed in Beach house cottage in Aug last week. Excellent location, Excellent food, Good service and maintenance. We enjoyed a lot on their private beach. I would recommend this resort to all those who are looking for some solace and peace. Kerala style fish steamed n banana leaf was good. Excellent place for those who love to enjoy beaches.. No complaints!! Will definitely visit it again.

Room Tip: Beach side property gives good view of beach rather than hillside one.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2013

As said by other travelers, the Resort is divided in two sites. Both are easily accessible by the hotel car, which is available most of the times. We stayed on the Beach bungalow and had one of the best experiences of our travel to Kerala. All the employees are really friendly and service oriented. The restaurant has a beautiful view. Our kids loved it. Our so to call- Cottage was huge with another small room for luggage etc. The sheets were changed everyday. The restaurant also did justice to our taste,as we wanted to experience the local cuisine.
Would love to stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank copycat16
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Terrifically beautiful atmosphere. I came fully intending to make it out sightseeing but couldn't bring myself to leave the wonderfully designed and cared for grounds. I came during the low seasons so there were more staff than guests, and I had my pick of the rooms. I opted for the one on the sea level part of the hotel (the resort is divided between two levels, connected by a moderately steep road) right next to the beach. It should go without saying that travelers selecting such rooms should enjoy the sound of the waves.

I found the late May temperature to be, while slightly humid during the day, pleasant at night with the fan on high. No need for ac! The monsoon sea was too rough for true swimming, but it was fun to splash in the surf. I took the rejuvenation massage, which I found relaxing, but perhaps less effective for my tight back muscles than playing cricket on the beach. If I had had more time and money, I certainly would have stayed longer.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank BanannaAnnaBananna
Reviewed 24 April 2013

This heritage hotel is set in beautiful gardens and supposed to be "green". Therefore there is no swimming pool. There is a small beach but when we visited the sea was far too rough to swim. However, there is a lovely area overlooking the sea where it is possible to sunbathe. There are several problems. Firstly the hotel is on two sites with a very steep walk between the two. We stayed in a bungalow near the sea but reception and other rooms are up the hill, although it is possible to get a lift from the hotel jeep. Secondly our bungalow was not particularly clean and the mosquito net really needed a wash. Unlike any other hotels where we had stayed, no drinking water was provided, except on the first day. There was a large fan in the room but remember!! The hotel is "green" and therefore there is no air conditioning. Thirdly the hotel is a long way from Kovalam beach and to reach there you had to take a tuk tuk and the journey took 30 minutes. This hotel maybe a good choice for a romantic "getaway" but it was not ideal for us.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family