“The best of the best”

Ranked #1 of 134 Canggu B&B and Inns
cape town
“The best of the best”
Reviewed 30 March 2012

My stay at The Chillhouse is one of the best holidays I've ever had. The staff, the range of services, the quality of the surf guiding, the massages, the transport, the accommodation, the food, all were amazing. It felt like home from home in beautiful Bali. Thank you to all at The Chillhouse. I hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: I stayed in a single room in the surfer's house which was nice - all the rooms have their own be...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thanks so much for this great review, i guess being called home away from home is as good as a review gets!
All the Bali love to Cape Town,
Alex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 March 2012

This was my first stay at a surf "camp" and it had the awesome atmosphere of a really friendly hostel mixed with the accommodation and dining quality of a very nice resort. The dining area has two big tables and multiple smaller ones so you can eat together or privately. All the meals where a really great communal experience for everyone to meet each other.

You can tell everyone working at The Chillhouse truly enjoys what they're doing as well. It shows in their super friendly and helpful attitudes. Not only that but The Chillhouse's enviromentally sustainable and organic practices seem to attract super friendly and cool guests as well. I guess it's also that all the guests are there to surf or learn to surf and that too instantly gives everyone something in common, it's a great ground breaker.

I'll get to the hospital stay now. I came down with what's known as Bali Belly one night which is just a bacteria infection that hits hard and fast coming out both ends. After a few hours by the toilet at 2:30 in the morning my brother and I decided it was time to check in at the front desk (where there is always someone there). From there our friend at the desk called Petra and Madi (Petra is a registered nurse on staff and Madi is head surf guide) who told us to go right to the hospital. Our friend at the desk called a cab told the cabi where to go and we arrived at the international hospital soon after. I got a few bags of saline and a few intravenous meds and 12 hours later I was good to go and returned back to The Chillhouse with three days of antibiotics.

The really warming part is that on my return the staff started clapping and there was a bunch of calls of " Hey there they are!". Because unlike any other place I've stayed at when we left in the middle of the night and where not there at breakfast in the morning everyone started asking where we were and getting concerned! It was so cool to feel that comforted by everyone around me so far from home. Not only that but the hospital was excellent as well!

So to sum it all up even knowing I would get really sick and spend a night in the hospital and a day or two recovering given the choice I would retake the trip Bali Belly and all in a second!

Also as a surfer there is a great selection of boards, really awesome guides who are as stoked as you are to be out in the waves everyday, and are really great at finding the best locations for the swell and your ability. My brother had been once before to The Chillhouse a year before and our shuttle driver who picked us up at the airport remembered him or was reminded and called his old guide on his cellphone even though he wasn't working at The Chillhouse anymore just so they could chat!

Talking with my brother we thought it would be best if we could also give some constructive criticism in this review because we know Alex and Sabina (the owners) read all the reviews and actively work to improve The Chillhouse based on the comments....but we really can't think of anything!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank montypbbc
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, 16 September 2012
Hi Alex, thanks for the great review, so sorry for your Bali Belly, i told you not to drink the water from the tab, hahaha! Zack showed me your surf memory of last week, no blood no glory! all the best vibes to the States, ride on, Alex
Tamarindo
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We've been to a few other surf "camps" and the ChillHouse really is a step up above the rest. They have great coaching and are really committed to getting you into the best waves for your ability in Bali. The staff and owners did everything thing they could to make us feel at home. The accommodations and common areas are very well maintained and very comfortable and you really can just "chill" there when you're not in the water. The meals they served were a fantastic blend of local flavours and european favourites. We had chosen Bali and the ChillHouse for our honeymoon and it certainly was the right place for us. If you are looking to try Bali and what to enjoy the culture through surfing the Chillhouse is a great place.

Room Tip: Jerry Lopez loft is the best!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank therealproctor
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Hi Cata and Rovi!
Thanks for your review and thanks for spending a part of your all around the world honeymoon with us! The Buddha is hanging and shines its light!
Ride on,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2012

The Chillhouse was a bit of a letdown for me in the beginning considering all the Euros I had put into it. I felt no support or guidance as a solo traveler. I felt it lacked a General Manager. Somebody who is there all the time, not just random times of the day. Somebody who comes and finds out exactly your level of surf, your needs, your views on your surf, your general well-being. I complained about the noise from my room, was offered earplugs and was never asked again how I was sleeping. A German family checked out 5 days earlier and were not even asked why they were leaving. The place lacks some decent hospitality just from a general point of view. It does not take much to make somebody feel welcome by asking them personally how they are finding things or what their expectations are for the surfing or for the week or reasons for coming to chillhouse. It seems everybody has a specific role but nobody has the role of being a great daily communicator, an all-rounder happy, caring, genuinely interested person!!
The welcome pack was nice, the local staff are super friendly, but there doesn't seem to be anybody who can deal with just about anything in good English at any given time of the day. I would not advise you arrive at midnight, as I had to wait all day till 11am to get a Welcome Pack, it would've made more sense to put the pack on my bed so I had it first thing in the morning ot read. It speaks alot about being green, the area, the food etc but nothing about the personal structure of your week or locations or how you will surf, which was the most important thing for me! I came with alot of enthusiasm about learning about surfing, I guess I exceeded myself in imagining I would learn much from a laid-back place like Chillhouse. The package I chose included videocoaching, which I received on the day of my 5th and last surf, a whole week later.. :-/ The next day I had my best day out and surfed super well. That was because I added another extra lesson so that I could try practise what I learnt from the videocoaching.. It's a shame I had to pay more to practise what I should've learnt the first week. Also on the day of my extra lesson, I received my theory class, which was also meant to happen the week before but by the Friday, I hadn't received anything, so I asked the girl in charge of accounts/booking and she made a note of it. I never received any photos or 10 free pics as described in my package.. :-( I have nothing to show my friends that I actually surfed, only a certificate which is definitely not as cool as photos! Unfortunately, this is the way a first time surfer thinks.. but your name gets put on a board along with a surf guide and you just have to be ready and go.. with a head full of questions, a bit of confusion and uncertainty..
Luckily, the surf guides are absolutely fantastic and they make u forget about all your fears. I had Made Rasta, who is a really great entertainer, inside and out of the water!
All your worries dissipate once in the water and you get a great display of buffet once back at the retreat. The food is no-doubt fantastic and the service from NuNung and the gang in the kitchen is second to none, they are fabulously happy and good at their jobs. It was great to have a beer and socialise with them around 4 course dinners as well as with all the other surfers/chillers etc. The prices of drinks, massages, extra things are incredibly steep, but I guess for the luxury setting they are going for you cannot expect less. The place is not bad, but certainly lacks something in the structure/organisational department. Perhaps, I was just unfortunate in not receiving my package in order the way it should happen each week, in which I saw as the fundamental basis for a fantastic and very influential week away, learning whilst having the time of your life. I no doubt had a really really amazing time, but it took until my second week to kick in.. after I learnt that you cannot always expect things as they say or seem!
I would love to go back, perhaps visit everybody there again, see the changes and feel the vibe next time. The difference next time is that I would be more confident in myself, my surf and knowing what to expect! Hopefully I can drag a friend with next time.. :-)

Room Tip: Single room called Savu.. has outdoor machines, air-cons or something on wall, very noisy at night.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank Starsky0027
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, 18 February 2012
Hi Stacy!

Thank you for your review, it certainly helped us a lot. I have waited with my reply to your review, because I wanted to make sure that I 1) get all info straight and 2) figure out the means how to improve what you have made me aware of.

Let's go through it point by point:

1 - someone who is always there

It is exactly this personal touch that most other guests love about us and why they recommend us to their friends. I am sorry that you experienced otherwise. We have improved communication between reception, billing, F&B, operational manager, and surf head coach to make sure that we can give an even better and more personalized service than we have been renown for.

2 - someone who finds out about your level of surf

In the case of a late check in - like yours - clear instructions are given what concerns the detailed surf check in the following day with surf level identification, surfboard rental and an explanation of the surf program for the week. We have also improved communication here, as in addition to the referral in the welcome letter, we stick the exact surf check-in time on the room door so that the announcement in the letter does not get overlooked.

3 - room complaint about noise - earplug solution

First of all, sorry for the noise. Earplugs are the only solution for supersensitive ears, but we should have enquired repeatedly on your well being. This was clearly our fault. We have dealt with the noise problem in so far as we have broken the wall behind the room to let out the noise of the air-condition outdoor unit. The next guests will surely thank you for your complaint!

4 - no check-in until 11:00 am the following day

Check-ins are made at the reception, as we do not want to disturb our guests at breakfast with officialities such as filling in forms, photocopy of passport, etc. especially the jet lag morning after arrival. So I guess your waiting for us to approach you during breakfast was miscommunication. However, thank you for the advice about the welcome pack, since your review every guest with a late check-in receives a welcome pack with all important info in his room.

5 - no video-coaching and no photos

Especially in wet season, we have to take our guests surfing to the east coast, but there the breaks are too far out at see for the camera to caption your rides on photo or film. That's why we stress on our website that we can only do video-coaching or supply you with your 10 free surf shots, if conditions allow. In your case it was even more bad luck, as on the one day where yu could surf out front, it was raining and again no photo or video was possible.

6 - theory class on Friday

Sorry Stacy this was our fault. Our head coach Made had to go to Java, and he got back on Thursday, so it took him until Friday to do the theory class. Thanks to your complaint, I educated two more surf coaches to do the class, so we can always do it on Tuesdays and make sure our guests know all they need to know in the beginning of the week.

Thanks again Stacy for your review. It did help us a lot and we improved our service. Again I am sorry for any inconvenience that resulted from misunderstandings.

Best regards,
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We had a great vacation in Bali while we stayed at The Chillhouse. Everyone was very nice and helpful! My husband and I had a surf package where we went surfing M-F. Our guide, Windu, was extremely kind and helpful. I believe he gave us great advice. Our room was also very nice - we stayed in a single bungalow. The only thing that could be a problem is the roosters crowing in the early morning. We talked to other people staying at The Chillhouse and they said they did not hear the roosters. it wasn't a very big deal because we had to get up early to go surfing everyday, but if you wanted to sleep in it might be a nuisance. It sounds like it was just our room that you could hear them though. I was very impressed that all of the people working there knew our names within the first few days. We had such a great time! I would go back in a heart beat!

Room Tip: I've heard the Treehouse Bungalow is awesome; however, we didn't see it.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heather M
Hi Heather!
Thanks for your great review, I am so happy that we could make your stay with us memorable!
Yes, tell me more about that rooster! I know it can be really annoying, especially on Saturday and Sunday when you want to sleep in and not get up early for surfing, but hey, it's Bali!
I hope to welcome you and your husband again soon, then we'll go see a cockfight! hahaha!
Ride on,
Frankfurt
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We came as guest for 1 week of surfing and relaxation. Both was perfectly met. After surfing you just have late breakfast (until 1pm!) and have cool chats about the waves with the other guys. Afterwards you just get a fantastic balinese massage. On top, we met a great friendly staff as well as great people from all over the world. After all we met friends which is very easy in chillhouse. A really cool place which I truly consider to come back...!

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank miloman38
Alex S, Owner at The Chillhouse - Bali Surf and Bike Retreats, responded to this review, 24 November 2011
Thanks Milo for your review! So sorry I haven't met you personally, as my wife and me are taking care of our 2 month old twin sons! I am even more glad that we have an amazing team that fulfills every wish and that made you consider coming back to The Chillhouse again!
Lagos, Portugal
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Loved everything about The Chill House. the place is fantastic, great rooms, a nice setting and amzing food. The barbeques are a must and all the fresh fruit and selections of fruits and tea throug out the day is fantastic. An unnexpected surprise.
But the most amazing thing about The Chill House is its people!!! what a great team. From the surf instructors, to the resident manager, Petra, our beloved NuNug and Luh De... they were all amazing. and of course, the guests. We've made good friends there wich we look forward to see soon.
The ultimate chill experience

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cmmf
Thanks for your great review! I am happy that we have such a great team with Petra taking care of all organization and bookings while my wife and me are taking care of our newborn twin sons! We are so happy, a couple of days ago they both smiled for the first time! NuNung is amazing, he seems to have a thousand hands and a hundred ears and 48 teeth in his mouth telling from his smile! And LuhDe has been with us from zero - look at where she is at now! See you again at The Chillhouse,