“Great Staff Great Spot”
Review of Villa Echo Beach

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Canggu
Villa Echo Beach
Ranked #73 of 297 Speciality Lodging in Canggu
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at Villa Echo Beach and all (6 adults 2 children) had a great time. The villa was clean, spacious and safe. The pool was great and made even better with the addition of the pool fence which Caroline arranged despite our last minute request.

What made the trip most memorable for us though was the fantastic staff, warm, welcoming, hard-working, caring and friendly. They were by far the highlight of out trip (Ketut the cook, our wonderful driver Ari, friendly Jimmy, caring, smiling Dodik to name a few) and they would be the reason we would return.

However, I am sad to say we are all still undecided if we can bring ourselves to return, we loved the staff, the spot and the sites. But we were deeply saddened by the glaringly obvious tyrant like order boss ketut runs over the beautiful staff. It is clear the staff are fearful of him and not always treated well by him despite their tireless efforts and through it all they wear a smile. We felt hesitant to give our large tip to ketut as do not trust he would share it. (This we suspect is why he as he states is so "rich and could retire now" and the staff are so poor) we recommend if you stay you give individual tips to the staff incase our
suspicions are correct.

We are sad to say that because we cannot support such treatment of staff we may not return. We hope we are wrong and all the staff are soon recognised for their hard work and no longer living in fear of their rich boss. It's a great Villa with great people so it's a shame the experience was ruined for us by what we witnessed towards the end of our stay.

Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Mettyco
LiveCanggu, Owner at Villa Echo Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Mettyco,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Villa Echo Beach. I am pleased that you liked the villa and appreciated the last minute efforts to organise your pool fence. I am also glad that you very much like your private driver as well as your cook and housekeeping staff.

I am sorry that you were under the impression that Ketut, your villa manager, had acted like a tyrant but I am fully aware of the circumstances surrounding the events that have lead you to this conclusion, albeit misguided. There was a member of staff that has had his punctuality managed quite closely by Ketut and it is a shame that this member of staff gave you the impression that Ketut's actions were inappropriate and unfair. Ketut is one of the most humble and kind people I know and he always ensures that all staff are cared for, especially when they are sick or in need of any financial help. On the other hand, Ketut makes it a priority to ensure that all staff show up to work on time, especially the drivers, as it is Ketut's job to ensure that all our guests have excellent service and aren't left waiting around for staff who are regularly late. Ketut has worked with my family for over 10 years now so I feel that I have a very good understanding of his character and nature.

I am also concerned that you paint a picture of Ketut bragging about being rich and the other staff are poor. I can give you my personal guarantee that if Ketut said something along these lines it was either meant in some kind of jest or needs to be put down as a total misunderstanding. Ketut is humble and very respectful to everyone (guests, staff, etc.). Fortunately, this is the only review we have ever had that paints Ketut in this light and I am sure other Tripadvisor visitors can read any of the other mentions of Ketut and draw their own conclusions.

On a very serious note - There has never been an incident where Ketut has kept any tips or accused of such a thing, so i can't stress enough the importance that if you are going to accuse someone of stealing tips without any evidence, perhaps keep these comments to yourself. These forums are not for sharing completely unsubstantiated claims and are here for you to share your experiences, not dubious suspicions. If I have missed anything regarding this matter, and you have solid evidence, then I encourage you to email me caroline@villaechobeach.com so I can further investigate.

I am always open to hearing suggestions about how we can further our guests' experiences but sometimes, without information to the contrary, some comments are unfounded and malicious.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I recently stayed in one for the villas and my first thought when entering the villa was that it did not seem as big as it did in the pictures. It was however very spacious and more than enough for the 8 of us who stayed there. The pool was clear and clean everyday we were there and the rooms/towels/beds all had a strong fragrant smell (so whether they were as clean as they smelt, i have no idea but it was pleasant to say the least!). We were not disappointed by the staff and the service that was provided. Our driver Jay was incredibly obliging and even late in the night he would still have a smile on his face. The manager Ketut was a pleasant surprise every morning when he popped by while a loud "Selamat Pagi" and had an amazing energy about him that really helped us kick start our days.

Some thing I think everyone should take note of is that you have the driver for 8 hours everyday you are there except for the day of your return. So, with check out being at 12pm, you will need to go straight to the airport, no stops and no more sight seeing before your flight. The airport is built in such a way that you can't get inside without checking in which means you linger around the outside for however long till your flight allows (for us it was 5 hours). It also takes around 30 mins or more to get anywhere from the villa. It says 10-15km but with the traffic and the small roads, it can drag up to 45mins or an hour so bear that in mind when planning your destinations. You can always ask your driver, ours was more than happy to help us. When ordering food in the villa, ask Ketut for estimations! He really helped us out and even with that we over ordered the first night. Unless you're a big eater, you might want to order sparingly.

While we were there however, the electricity did cut off around 4 times over the span of our first 2 days, That was however quickly fixed by our very tall muscular security guard (so it's also safe to assume we were safe every night). We did experience shortage of hot water while we were there, especially after a swim when everyone was taking turns back to back. So if you need your hot water, make sure you're the first in the shower (hot water ran out by the 6th person).

All in all, we had an amazing trip and I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a getaway that isn't jammed packed with action but would still like to see the sights and have a night or two out and about.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank samanthaoeumin
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We had a great stay at Villa Echo Beach. I had mixed feelings about heading to Bali after a previous great visit and one bad one (none of these at this accommodation). Villa Echo Beach was perfect for me while I was traveling alone with my children for the first time. I felt safe at all times and every need was attended to quickly and with a smile. The staff were amazing and the villa was lovely. The beds were incredibly comfortable and I loved that all rooms could be locked while sleeping or away. Having our own pool and facilities for cooking along with a common lounge area were ideal. I enjoyed being tucked away from the hustle and bustle of Kuta and having a driver provided made getting around incredibly easy. It would be a great place to stay with friends. I can honestly say that our visit to Villa Echo Beach changed my feelings towards Bali and I look forward to going again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jacqui W
Reviewed 1 December 2013

This was our second trip to Bali this year. We loved everything about Echo Beach, the crimson sunsets, beachside dining, delicious cupcakes and tanned surfers.

Villa Echo Beach is perfectly located within walking distance to the beach. We spent our days splashing about in the swimming pool or lazing on the lounges. It's incredibly private.

At night we ventured down to the beach to watch the sun set and drink cocktails.

Special mention must go to the villa's staff. They are a real asset. Nothing was too much trouble for our lovely driver Jana. His colleagues organised a motorbike when we needed one and were always so cheerful.

I will be honest and mention a couple of things though. The curtains in our room were paper-thin, consequently we were wide awake at 5.30am most days. There was no soap to wash your hands with in the bathroom and the bathrooms are extremely dark.

But the villa we stayed in was private, clean and beautifully maintained.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Writing this review sitting at the dining table in the villa on our last morning; and the villa is lovely.

Firstly the location: Echo Beach is a quiet surfing village about 10km North of Seminyak. The villa is about 200m from the beach, you walk down there most days for either lunch or dinner and you have a choice of about 5-6 cafe/restaurants on the beach all of which have an amazing view. If this is your first time to Bali make sure you know that this is a quiet area with very little shopping and no flashy restaurants etc. and for this you'll have to travel into Seminyak. As return visitors to Bali this is exactly what we wanted, so we were thrilled. For us the location is 9/10.

The Villa: We chose a 4 bedroom villa for 2 couples so we had plenty of space. Three of the bedrooms are ensuited, and there is an extra toilet off the large living area.
The pool is fantastic and very clean; as is the entire villa. The villa staff were great: our villa was cleaned twice daily (a quick clean before serving breakfast, and then a more substantial clean in the afternoon), the onsite manager Ketut was friendly and spoke very good English which was helpful for organising things. Our driver Jana was brilliant - he always arrived before the agreed time to get the air conditioning going! Jimmy was always on hand for a chat or to help us organise things - he was super friendly! All up we'd give the villa itself and the staff a very good 8/10.

Things you must do:
- Sunset by the beach. It's simply magic.
- Ole Ole Ollie cupcake shop. It's about 100m down the road, halfway to the beach. The best cupcakes made by the super friendly Olivia who speaks great English and moved here from Jakarta for a lifestyle change.
- 2 for 1 cocktails overlooking the beach. They work out to $3 each. Yep, 3 Aussie dollars.
- Monsieur Spoon. About a km down the road is this little French-inspired patisserie. Just do it.
- Opposite Monsieur Spoon is a rice paddy field. On the edge of this every night a couple set up a little street food stall selling Pork Satay kebabs. 6 small kebabs and rice with satay sauce for $1. Brilliant. Note they don't speak English so you'll be pointing and grunting to order.

Constructive criticism mainly centres around sleep...
- Although we knew it was in a more rural area, we very seriously considered offering the local neighbour however much money he wanted to turn his Rooster into dinner. It does what all roosters do at 5am...
- The dogs who lived in the small side street the villa is on also wake up at about the same time as the rooster and it appears they try to communicate with every other dog in the neighbourhood. Loudly.
- The outdoor and pool lights stay on all night. This is good for security and safety, but not good when the curtains are super thin. I'll definitely recommend to the owners to install rubber-backed blockout curtains.

All in all, our holiday was fantastic. We'll probably never be back to Bali considering how much of the world is left to see but I will recommend this place to anyone who comes.

Room Tip: The 2 big bedrooms are identical and a great size. The ground floor opens up to the pool, and the up...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MatthewHerbert
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

Wow what a place, I've just spent 5 fantastic nights here:) the villa is beautiful but what I liked the most were the amazing staff! We had beautiful Babi Guling for my sons birthday, lovely breakfasts every morning. The boys organised scooters for us and nothing was ever too much trouble! Ketut the manager would greet us each morning, it was great ! Special mention to ketut the cook, Rahtu and the gorgeous Jimi :) will definitely be back :)

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Narelleanddamian
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We have just returned from staying 10 nights in a 4 bedroom villa (Mawar). There were 4 adults and 4 children and we had the most relaxing holiday ever. We have previously done hotel holidays in Bali and this by far was the best way to do it with children.

The pool and living areas were just lovely. Plenty of room for all of us to have our own space or be together.

The staff made our holiday. Ketut, our cook, cooked us the most delicious meals from $40 for 8 people. There was enough food for two dinners really. We loved his Babi Guling (whole bbq pig) and all the sides with it. It was a feast.

Putra our driver negotiated the crazy streets for us. Driving us all around. Nothing was too much trouble. Whereever we went he welcomed us back with a big smile and a cool car!! He helped us with a sick child and we were so grateful we ended up at a good medical centre.

Jimmy and the cleaning crew were lovely, always talking and playing with the kids. The villa was tidied and cleaned more than 3 times a day. We did not have to do a thing. They were there before we could lift a finger.

The massage ladies were all really lovely. I even had a facial and it was great. The cost $10 per hour - dont think you can beat that anywhere. And you do not have to leave home.

Every morning we were asked what we wanted for dinner, what time we would like our driver and do we need massage ladies! What a holiday!

The Echo Beach area is lovely. Rice paddies and cows in fields as well as the beach. There are some good restaurants by the beach (Bali Satay) and the pizza restaurant up the road is good too.

There is a little bit of shopping in the Canggu area but it if you really want to shop, take your driver into Seminyak or Legian for the day.

I would totally recommend these Villas to anyone who wants to get away from the hustle and bustle of the Kuta - Seminyak strip. You are close enough to visit for the day but can easily wander without being hassled.

We are planning on returning next year!!! It cannot come around fast enough!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family