All reviews single room small hut vegan food private bathroom breakfast included nearby beach the main house cleaned every day swimming pool is big smile guest house surf school each morning home away from home alkaline classes yoga
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Travelling as a surfing couple, we like it simple. We really liked the simple yet nice room, we also appreciate the sustainability, eco-friendliness of the villa (water bottle refill, no a/c, trash recycling, collection of old clothes, ...) and the location was just perfect for us.

Also a big compliment to Ferry: He was very nice, competent and helpful!

Very nice also to have books as well as dvds to borrow - if only the dvds would play! Every other was in such a bad condition unfortunately it wouldn't play anymore.

We really loved the view of the sunrise from the shower and to have a room with fresh (and not air conditioned air), to hear the shore break 24hrs a day... but you have to be preparied to hear the flatulence and morning diarrhea of all the guests next door every morning like their toilet would stand next to your bed...

What we found very poor was the breakfast menu: (Times as well as amount) not suitable for surfers, not really going along with yoga philosophy either and definitely boring if you stay for longer than 3 days. On top of that it sometimes really seemed prepaired with complete lack of love for what the kitchenstaff is doing: Only half filled glasses of juice, banana pancakes with just the tiniest bits of banana...
(We would have appreciated one option of indonesian breakfast, simple, rice with something, and for sure not just sweet things.)

What really made us feel unwanted was when we asked at the reception, if there was a possibility for a couple of people to practice yoga together: We were told yes, at a certain moment, we could stay in the small yoga shala. We started practicing, when someone (I think it was the owner, he didn't introduce himself) asked us, what we would be doing there - yoga - and who allowed us to - the reception.
After a couple of minutes, the receptionist showed up and told us, we would no longer be allowed to use this room.
Sadly, there's no place in the villa for practicing yoga unless you book a lesson with the villa, even though there's room available.

Even more uncomfortable was the following incident: We asked if we can stay one more night almost a week before we left. The receptionist first just said "No, your room is already booked". When I insisted, if there's ANY room, we were told, maybe, it depends if someone else prolongs. (Why does it depend on others? Why do THEY have the right to stay longer in the first place?) And that we can ask again the day we are leaving. (That doesn't really help much for planning...)
Then a receptionist asked us one day before planned leaving, if we would like to stay one more night. I was honest enough to tell her, that we actually just before decided to leave, as we cannot plan on such short notice. But I asked for a little later check-out. The response was again, not possible, our room was already booked. I asked if there would be another room available? No. (Now just before she asked me, if we would like to stay longer? Rooms or no rooms??) When I said, she just asked, if we wanted to stay longer, she must surely have a room, no? She asked again, if we would stay one more night and I said, no, I was just asking for a later check-out. Again: No, no rooms available.
(I didn't want to mention, that we would have had the right for a free night: We booked through internet, it was never mentioned to us, what it says on the signposts along the way: Stay 7 nights, pay 6. We only got it, when we asked the money back.)

It left a very bitter taste. We felt our money is welcome at anytime - if only we wouldn't come along.

Somehow we would love to go there again, then on the other hand... we just don't know yet!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Minnie M
DanielfromBali, Owner at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Greetings Minnie M,
thank you for appreciating the fact that we try to do whats best in saving our planet and being so close to the beach i understand why you picked our place and yes we are very happy that Ferry really helped enhance your stay at Serenity.

Yes we do provide free dvds and you are right, we should have checked the quality of the dvd's, i have asked a staff to check the quality and to throw away the old ones

Some rooms do seem to have some toilet noises, and we are trying to solve the problem but it is actually only a few rooms with this problem.

We have always prided ourselves on our free breakfast, i will talk to the kitchen staff on why this is happening. for the Indonesian option, that is a great idea! We will definitely put things in place to accommodate this option.

For the yoga practice incident, this was all a big misunderstanding, the 2nd yoga room can ofcourse be used but Daniel and Yatna at that time were severely sick; Daniel had typhoid and Yatna had a severe fever. As the 2nd yoga room was near to their room, they just asked to the reception to not open the 2nd yoga room, because they needed their space.

for the room problem, i am sure this was also a huge misunderstanding on part of the receptionist, with english for most being their second language, they can get confused with interpretations. When this happens please repeat your request. Ofcourse for our Stay 6 Pay for 7 nights, that is our offer, you have every right to demand it!

all in all thank you for all these constructive comments!

Krishna Chieppa

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Very nice backpackers hostel! Very friendly staff, clean, nice swimming pool. And: one-person bedrooms, so no paying to much for a double, or sleeping in a dorm. There is a very relaxed atmosphere. I appreciate the caring for the enviroment in this villa. A disadvantage is that it's pretty far from other places. The beach is not very suitable for swimming. But beside that: a great place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
DanielfromBali, Manager at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2013

Hi Nellekep,
thank you for the compliments, we realized that by having a small team of staffs we can work better together and more efficiently; it makes it easier to create a caring environment for both guests and employees whom i treat like family.

i will compliment my housekeeping staff on the job well done

Canggu beach is a well known surf spot, however if you turn left once arriving on the beach, the sea is calmber and more suited for swimming. its true that Canggu is 20-30mins from kuta's nightlife but isn't that the point of Villa Serenity? to be in a place where you can relax and cleanse yourself with yoga and homemade food for a few days?

thank you so much for this review, it really keeps us going and something to show at our staff meetings

Krishna Chieppa

Reviewed 7 March 2013

I stayed at Villa Serenity for 4 days with my partner and 9 year old daughter. We enjoyed the peaceful simplicity of the place. I enjoyed relaxing by the pool and the massages.
I found the beach at Canggu unsafe for swimming and the litter upsetting. But litter is a big problem in Bali and Villa Serenity are trying to make an impact here by recycling rubbish and offering water bottle refills.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
DanielfromBali, Owner at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2013

Hi Geraldine,
how very nice of you to write such a delightful review about us!

Yes it is true that sometimes, especially during the rainy season, litter washes up on Bali's beaches.
but it is also true that establishments like us are recycling rubbish, offer water refills, and also regularly undergo beach cleans with out staff and other establishments.

we will continue to reduce our carbon footprint for the battle has just begun!

thank you for coming to villa serenity!
Daniel Chieppa

Reviewed 4 March 2013

I've stayed in Villa Serenity a couple of times, both as a couple and solo, for in total two weeks I think. Its the perfect spot for a budget traveler but I would recommend it to anybody who is looking for something different. Bali is full of villas and resorts and most of them are very similar. There is no copy of Villa Serenity, its atmosphere is magic, its like the Best Exotic Mary Gold Hotel. I'm not giving away any details, discover it yourself! I've stayed in 10 different apartments and rooms around the Bukit, Ubud and Seminyak but Villa Serenity is one of a kind and made me feel like home.

Villa Serenity has many rooms (all very different), very friendly staff, a great pool, good breakfast and.. a welcome drink! During my staf I only had one day without wifi (but thats what you can expect in Bali), usually the connection is good. Surf breaks are on 100mtr and they give yoga classes almost every day.

Room Tip: For couples, the Japan or Coco room could feel a bit too small.. Go for Love, Freedom, Om or Harmony.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Hi Tim,
thank you for putting forward on how unique we are, i will definitely show this review to all our staff, each department is very proud of their work.

the title "best exotic mary gold hotel" really caught my curiosity, i searched online, watched the trailer and in the end watched the movie. wow what a movie, i really enjoy British comedy! thanks

yes correct every room is unique, so tell all your friends, when they come to Villa Serenity, tell us what room you prefer

anyway thanks again, and please return, we're always upgrading and adding new things here so there's always something new going on!

Daniel Chieppa

Reviewed 2 February 2013

I stayed for 5 days and enjoyed it so much! The rooms are pretty small, but mine was new and clean. A bed, a wardrobe and a save, i dont need more. Bathroom for single room was shared, but no problem for me,. The atmosphere is really cool, a mix of architecure, very creativ and charming. You can have privacy in the garden, enjoy the pool or sit together for a bintang. I met so many interesting people there! The stuff also was absolutely friedly and they helped to organise everything so fast: Motorbike, massage, food.. I enjoyed also Yogalessons every morning, a good start in the day. Its outside at top of the building and the price of 50.000 was very fair! Hope to get there soon again! Thanks for the nice stay!! ;)

Room Tip: singleroom 4 was small, but fine, and nr9 had two beds and an own bathroom, that was great!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank HeikeSch83
DanielfromBali, Front Office Manager at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2013

Greetings Heike
Thank you for staying at the Villa Serenity-Canggu and for taking the time to share your feedback in Trip Advisor. I would like to thank you for your kind comments about the hotel services, that is very much appreciated. Will welcome you back again in the not too distance future

Kind regards,