“Friendly family vibe. Very welcoming!”

Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga
Ranked #22 of 297 Speciality Lodging in Canggu
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This is the sort of place you want to keep coming back to. I got to know the staff and their friendly smiles and daily chit chat made me feel very comfortable and 'at home'. I'd definitely recommend this place to anyone who wants to support an accommodation provider that gives back to the community. Likewise, it attracts many other like-minded travellers, so it's a fun place to be. The kitchen is also fantastic. Overall, very well priced, clean and tidy also. Thanks!

Room Tip: Single rooms are great value.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
DanielfromBali, Manager at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Greeting Paul

How very nice of you to write such a delightful review about us! seems you already fulfill your promise ;)i will compliment all the staffs on the job well done
anyway thanks again, and please return, we're always upgrading and adding new things here so there's always something new going on!

Warm Regards

Reviewed 14 August 2013

The place is close to the beach and a good spot for surfers. They seem to do a lot on recycling and you have lots of signs to explain what you can do to help and what they do for that. the environment is nice and peaceful but too kitsch for me and the signs everywhere is polluting the view in my opinion. The swimming pool is great and not very often used so you can often swim on your own. The room we had yin was for a family since no other room was available. It was fairly dark and close to the reception so you may hear noises from time to time, we have also seen. What the japan room looked like and it was the size of the bed ! villa serenity is a quiet place in general and this is relaxng too. They offer yoga classes and are a great help should you need anything. The breakfast is relatively small but you can order extra if you want at your own cost and you may have to wait between your order and your breakfast. Once i waited 25 min, so take a shower in between ! They have a kitchen where you can order all day long a large choice of food. For a low budget holidays, i would definitely recommend the place.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
DanielfromBali, Manager at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Greeting Valued Guest

On behalf of the team, I would like to thank you for choosing Serenity. We hope to welcome you back to our guesthouse in a near future.It is always encouraging for us to learn that our guests are satisfied with our services as it is what we strive for every single day.
Yes, to avoid many sign that will be annoyed the view around, for sure we will selected which one is a most important for hanging.
Again, I do thank you for your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit.

Best Personal Regard

Reviewed 14 August 2013

I spent an entire week at Serenity and I am more than happy of my choice of stay. I found great and very helpful staff, great food, well organised and a different guesthouse! I travelled on my own and I wanted to meet people and Serenity's shared rooms helped for that purpose and so I met people. Yoga lessons were great and you didn't have to bother to go far for them having in the same hotel! The hotel also provides for massages and all of stuff you can need. The friendly staff made me feel very comfortable even when sick! I wanted a quiet holidays and I had them. True enough Canggu and the Serenity location can be far from the typical touristic attractions or towns but if you look for some peace and quiet this is the best place! Later if you want to do some sightseeing in other towns, Canggu it is an easy distance by taxi from Kuta, Seminyak, for instance. I enjoyed my stay very much! I just wished I could stay longer!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Greeting Maite

Really nice review, thank you for your highly recommended.
Also, Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, highlighting a number of our team members. Rest assured, we will convey your kind words to them. Thank you for the fantastic comments and we will keep up the good work.We were very happy to read that you enjoy your stay with us especially with the clean & lovely swimming pool and friendly staff

On behalf of the team, I would like to thank you for choosing Serenity. We hope to welcome you back to our guest house in a near future.

Friendly regards,

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Arrived to unfriendly welcome, room not ready, problem with booking through hostel world they said, would have to move me after one night. Be aware the yoga is NOT included although their websites give you the impression it is. They also did not apply the deposit I paid through hostel world to my bill and said they do not get the deposit (which is not my problem) so it wasn't applied to my bill. Worst place I have ever stayed. Be aware also this is definitely a backpackers stay and not anything like a serene villa. Very cramped quarters and noisy.

Room Tip: Don't come here
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
DanielfromBali, Manager at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Greetings from Serenity!

thank you so much for putting an effort in writing a review. It really helps us improve ourselves, and jolt ourselves to work harder.

We apologize if you feel our receptionist were impolite, it would've been great to know on what way they were impolite and perhaps the person?

Alas being a guesthouse, you are perfectly in reason to want a room ready upon arrival and to obviously not be moved. I will of course find out what happened and rest assured i am sure there was a valid reason for such action. Nonetheless, i apologize for this occurrence.

Yes for hostel-world, we have been having technical difficulties, we are working as quick as possible to rectify the problem!

In the end, i totally agree that the word "Villa" can be misleading, that is our old name, we are undergoing a name change to Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga. It is who we really are, a down to earth, Eco-friendly and relaxed place to stay.

We will and always will improve, so once again, thank you.
in the off chance you would like to return, please ask Yeni for a discount :)

with Serenity,

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Tne name"villa" for me was misleading. The rooms are very basic and the Japan and Coco rooms incredibly small really only suitable for one person with few belongings, no room to move.The pool is lovely, the food reasonable.

Room Tip: Avoid Japan or Coco
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Kaz928

Greetings from Serenity!

Thank you for enjoying our wholesome food! We always try use as many local ingredients as possible and of course no chemical food enhancers.

We are proud that our pool is one of your pleasure epicenters, we try to make it in a way that people can easily interact in a positive surrounding.

Yes, true, the name "Villa" is misleading, and we are proud to announce that we are in the middle of a name change to "Serenity Eco Guesthouse & Yoga", we feel the name is much more homey and welcoming.
Yes Japan and Coco are not actually our double bed standard size, we prioritize these rooms mostly for backpackers with the strong point being that it is close to the pool

thank you again for the review!
hopefully see you soon

with Serenity,

Reviewed 5 May 2013

Travelling as a surfing couple, we like it simple. We really liked the simple yet nice room, we also appreciate the sustainability, eco-friendliness of the villa (water bottle refill, no a/c, trash recycling, collection of old clothes, ...) and the location was just perfect for us.

Also a big compliment to Ferry: He was very nice, competent and helpful!

Very nice also to have books as well as dvds to borrow - if only the dvds would play! Every other was in such a bad condition unfortunately it wouldn't play anymore.

We really loved the view of the sunrise from the shower and to have a room with fresh (and not air conditioned air), to hear the shore break 24hrs a day... but you have to be preparied to hear the flatulence and morning diarrhea of all the guests next door every morning like their toilet would stand next to your bed...

What we found very poor was the breakfast menu: (Times as well as amount) not suitable for surfers, not really going along with yoga philosophy either and definitely boring if you stay for longer than 3 days. On top of that it sometimes really seemed prepaired with complete lack of love for what the kitchenstaff is doing: Only half filled glasses of juice, banana pancakes with just the tiniest bits of banana...
(We would have appreciated one option of indonesian breakfast, simple, rice with something, and for sure not just sweet things.)

What really made us feel unwanted was when we asked at the reception, if there was a possibility for a couple of people to practice yoga together: We were told yes, at a certain moment, we could stay in the small yoga shala. We started practicing, when someone (I think it was the owner, he didn't introduce himself) asked us, what we would be doing there - yoga - and who allowed us to - the reception.
After a couple of minutes, the receptionist showed up and told us, we would no longer be allowed to use this room.
Sadly, there's no place in the villa for practicing yoga unless you book a lesson with the villa, even though there's room available.

Even more uncomfortable was the following incident: We asked if we can stay one more night almost a week before we left. The receptionist first just said "No, your room is already booked". When I insisted, if there's ANY room, we were told, maybe, it depends if someone else prolongs. (Why does it depend on others? Why do THEY have the right to stay longer in the first place?) And that we can ask again the day we are leaving. (That doesn't really help much for planning...)
Then a receptionist asked us one day before planned leaving, if we would like to stay one more night. I was honest enough to tell her, that we actually just before decided to leave, as we cannot plan on such short notice. But I asked for a little later check-out. The response was again, not possible, our room was already booked. I asked if there would be another room available? No. (Now just before she asked me, if we would like to stay longer? Rooms or no rooms??) When I said, she just asked, if we wanted to stay longer, she must surely have a room, no? She asked again, if we would stay one more night and I said, no, I was just asking for a later check-out. Again: No, no rooms available.
(I didn't want to mention, that we would have had the right for a free night: We booked through internet, it was never mentioned to us, what it says on the signposts along the way: Stay 7 nights, pay 6. We only got it, when we asked the money back.)

It left a very bitter taste. We felt our money is welcome at anytime - if only we wouldn't come along.

Somehow we would love to go there again, then on the other hand... we just don't know yet!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Minnie M
DanielfromBali, Owner at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Greetings Minnie M,
thank you for appreciating the fact that we try to do whats best in saving our planet and being so close to the beach i understand why you picked our place and yes we are very happy that Ferry really helped enhance your stay at Serenity.

Yes we do provide free dvds and you are right, we should have checked the quality of the dvd's, i have asked a staff to check the quality and to throw away the old ones

Some rooms do seem to have some toilet noises, and we are trying to solve the problem but it is actually only a few rooms with this problem.

We have always prided ourselves on our free breakfast, i will talk to the kitchen staff on why this is happening. for the Indonesian option, that is a great idea! We will definitely put things in place to accommodate this option.

For the yoga practice incident, this was all a big misunderstanding, the 2nd yoga room can ofcourse be used but Daniel and Yatna at that time were severely sick; Daniel had typhoid and Yatna had a severe fever. As the 2nd yoga room was near to their room, they just asked to the reception to not open the 2nd yoga room, because they needed their space.

for the room problem, i am sure this was also a huge misunderstanding on part of the receptionist, with english for most being their second language, they can get confused with interpretations. When this happens please repeat your request. Ofcourse for our Stay 6 Pay for 7 nights, that is our offer, you have every right to demand it!

all in all thank you for all these constructive comments!

with serenity,

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Very nice backpackers hostel! Very friendly staff, clean, nice swimming pool. And: one-person bedrooms, so no paying to much for a double, or sleeping in a dorm. There is a very relaxed atmosphere. I appreciate the caring for the enviroment in this villa. A disadvantage is that it's pretty far from other places. The beach is not very suitable for swimming. But beside that: a great place to stay!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
DanielfromBali, Manager at Serenity Eco Guesthouse and Yoga, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2013

Hi Nellekep,
thank you for the compliments, we realized that by having a small team of staffs we can work better together and more efficiently; it makes it easier to create a caring environment for both guests and employees whom i treat like family.

i will compliment my housekeeping staff on the job well done

Canggu beach is a well known surf spot, however if you turn left once arriving on the beach, the sea is calmber and more suited for swimming. its true that Canggu is 20-30mins from kuta's nightlife but isn't that the point of Villa Serenity? to be in a place where you can relax and cleanse yourself with yoga and homemade food for a few days?

thank you so much for this review, it really keeps us going and something to show at our staff meetings

with serenity,