“Aphrodisiac Picnic Dinner in a Vintage Four Posted Bed”

Tugu Bali Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 277 Restaurants in Canggu
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 March 2014

WOW.

What an awesome experience my wife I had at the Aphrodisiac Picnic in a Bed on a Private Beach at Hotel Tugu Canggu. My wife's Father passed away on Valentines Day 14 years ago (not long after we had got together) so this year I decided to have a Valentines Month by doing a special romantic gesture every day in the month of February. The Picnic on the Beach at Hotel Tugu was the surprise for Day 27 and it was definitely one of the highlights of the month. We arrived at the Hotel early so we decided to have a drink at the hotel bar first then we were escorted out to the beach by Sri our host. My wife still didn't know what the surprise was until we got closer to the beach and spotted an old four posted vintage bed set up for dinner. The sunset was absolutely amazing as was the view of the beach and as darkness fell the dozens of candles positions around the bed and on the beach set the mood perfectly. There was a customised menu and leaf with my name on it which made the whole experience a little more personal. All the drinks and food we had were delicious and the highlight of the night was the blindfolded taste testing of four different desserts. Maggie the Hotel's Food and Beverage Manager visited us during the dinner and offered to show us around the hotel at the end of the dinner. This was such a friendly gesture and I can only describe the hotel with one word. AMAZING. Thank you so much to the staff of Hotel Tugu and to Voyagin for making Day 27's surprise so special for my wife and I and for being part of our 'LOVE MONTH' journey. I 100% recommend the Aphrodisiac Picnic at Hotel Tugu to any romantics out there wanting to do a little extra special thing for their partner.

Thanks

Brady Cummins

1  Thank bradyandkarlie
RoshanFernando, General Manager at Tugu Bali Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear bradyandkarlie,
Thank you for your great review and generous compliment. We are known for our romantic setting and sunset view and it is always fantastic to hear that back from our guests. Our team here is delighted the way you have expressed the total dining experience with that finer details of service with a “Tugu touch “. I shall personally covey your appreciation to our staff members in general & specially the ones you have mentioned the names.
Looking forward to welcome you back to Tugu Bali restaurant soon and please do not hesitate to contact us directly whenever you decide to book another romantic dinner or any one of our thyme dinners from “The 101 dining temptations”. When you dine at our resort, travel back through time hundreds of years, and discover the different eras, places, as well as long-ago experiences of Indonesia through our cuisine.
The family of Tugu, so happy to hear that you had loved your experience with us,
With best wishes,

Reviewed 11 March 2014

We've been there several times and the food is always good. It's relaxed dining, with stunning views out over the ocean. I would definitely say that it is worth tourists making the trip for.

In saying that, here are a couple of pointers...stock up on beer and keep it cold. I am not quite sure what the manager does, but he is regularly there studying his laptop and not chatting to guests. Sorry, has to be said. We should be the primary concern and if there is work to do, do it elsewhere.

The food is delicious and a credit to the chef, and staff always friendly. Tidy up a bit on the above pointers and you will ensure longevity.

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I just spent a week at Tugu. What a great experience!

First, the hotel is stunning...filled with Balinese/Indonesian antiques in every corner of the hotel...from the lobby, to the rooms, to the public bathrooms(!)...Balinese history is everywhere you look.

The rooms are tastefully decorated with a choice of ocean view rooms (upper level) or ground floor rooms with individual plunge pools. Both are fantastic, depending on what you prefer. The Spies Suite and the other suite (I can't recall the name) seem like a wonderful and worthwhile splurge too.

What really makes Tugu special, though, are the people! So kind, welcoming, and pleasant. I really can't emphasize this enough. I wish so much that I could remember everyone's name...unfortunately I'm horrible at remembering names! Both managers we dealt with were absolutely top notch. Irma, whom we met first, was so kind and helpful with whatever we required. Our first room we checked into had a shower head that wasn't working properly, so Irma credited us with 2 hours of massage for the inconvenience....which frankly wasn't an inconvenience to us at all...even though we changed rooms. Maggie, the other manager we dealt with was equally kind and helpful. She took us on a tour of the hotel explaining the significance of the beautiful antiques that fill the hotel. She was so knowledgeable and nice as well!

We celebrated Valentines Day at Tugu and our dinner was out of this world! We were given an amazing special dinner in an amazing room built around a a 300 year old (I think) Chinese temple that the hotel's owners transported to the hotel. The table inside probably seated 30 people, but we had the entire room to ourselves. We sat across from one another at a candle lit table and were just spoiled to death by the service. Just amazing. We both agreed that it was probably the best Valentines Day we have ever had!

I could go on and on about this hotel. Now, it may not be for everyone. If you are looking for a Western, sterile, chain type experience...like a Westin, or St. Regis....this hotel may not be for you. Tugu has 10 times the character/charm and is equal the class in every way, shape and form.

The people (not in order of importance): Irma, Maggie, Widia, Sri (1), Sri (2), Mayen, and many others who we just weren't able to catch their name (we feel terrible about this!). All the wait staff for our meals just bent over backwards for us.

They really do make your vacation special....and we can't wait to return again soon!!!

2  Thank CalbertC
RoshanFernando, General Manager at Tugu Bali Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear CalbertC,
Thank you for taking time off to write a lengthy review. I & my team were delighted & inspired by your wonderful comments & sentiments expressed under the topic of " So great". All of us at Tugu Bali will say “big thank you" from the bottom of our hearts.
You have mentioned & described about the rooms, food & the “Tugu touch “experience , most importantly of our staff, we will be grateful & truly delighted to have such wonderful comments.
I shall personally covey your appreciation to all our staff members in general & specifically for the ones you have mentioned the names. I am sure they will be inspired, will be so happy to serve you again any day. We are always committed to create only positive memorable experience for all our guests.
We do hope that with all the experience you had with us will bring you back to your favorite place in the near future on your next visit to Bali.
Thank you once again for well written & the experience expressed in your recent visit to our resort.
With warmest and fondest thoughts of you,

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We went to a party hosted by friends, we a big group and they did a fantastic job of preparing an awesome spread. The banquet hall was old oriental style typical Indonesian Temple look with red and black colour combination. Very quiet and serene. Gives you a Zen feel. Must go place if you are in Bali.

RoshanFernando, General Manager at Tugu Bali Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear Ahmedabad,
Thank you so much for taking your time off to post a review in the TripAdvisor. What a pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed such a wonderful time in Bale Sutra - the dining experience! We thank you for sharing your feedback with us and for recognizing our effort.
We will be happy to welcome you again anytime. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance you may require from our end.
Our best wishes,

Reviewed 4 December 2013

The minute I walked through the door I was blown away, this place is gorgeous and has a lovely ambience in the evening. The menu was extensive showcasing all of the traditional indonesian delights as well as a few I was not aware of. There is also a western offering of food which is great as I plan on coming back many times and trying everything on the menu given it's only 10 minutes from my house. This is the place I would take friends and visitors to Bali when they want a gorgeous setting or when they want to try Indonesian food cooked to perfection. I had the Ristaffel which had a little bit of everything and was absolutely delicious. The drink menu is extensive and the service is fabulous. I also love the little private dining rooms you can sit in, they are gorgeous. It's my Birthday tomorrow and I've asked my husband to take me there as out of all of the great places to eat, this is my Birthday choice.

RoshanFernando, General Manager at Tugu Bali Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear CindyM,
Thank you for your great review and generous compliment. We are known for our gorgeous ambiance and sunset view and it is always fantastic to hear that back from our guests.
Looking forward to welcome you back to Tugu Bali restaurant soon and please do not hesitate to contact us directly whenever you decide to make a booking; as you may know we have the option of "Aphrodisiac Picnic in Bed" served on an 18th century antique bed on the beach, illuminated by oil lanterns and ending with two blindfolds desserts!
We thank you again for your review.
Our best wishes,