“The island of Bali and Tugu Hotel were both a wonderful experience.”
Review of Hotel Tugu Bali

Hotel Tugu Bali
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Canggu
San Vito al Tagliamento, Italy
“The island of Bali and Tugu Hotel were both a wonderful experience.”
Reviewed 17 April 2011

The weary traveler arriving at his destination does not like a hotel with no ties to the environment that surrounds it. He also prefers a hotel that respects the cultural and economic context where it is located.
Bali, of course, represents the sea, with its large spaces, but also restraint and religiosity. Bali is a mystery, but also revelation. Landscape, but also movement. Popular culture, but also cosmopolitan values. And somehow, the Hotel Tugu Bali is a synthesis of all this.

The hotel has alleys and corridors with the face of traditional Bali, but also it shows sophisticated restaurants and a competent staff.
The apartments are decorated in authentic Balinese culture, but guests enjoy the comfort and amenities with international class hotels.

On my return to Italy, some friends asked me three adjectives to describe my experience as a guest in Bali. I did not think too long: "Bali is a sophisticated place, deeply rooted in culture and tradition of the region". Then, they asked me about the hotel. I replied: "The Tugu is a sophisticated hotel , deeply rooted in culture and tradition of Bali."

Sergio Capparelli

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Capserg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Indonesian first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 5 April 2011

We enjoyed a lot. Beautiful place at the beach, competent staff, every room is wonderfully decorated with unique Indonesian art and an excellent massage at the SPA

We learned a lot about balinese art, indonesian food, gods and temples.
Edgar Pullen Parente
eparente@epsoft.com.br
Brasil

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eparente
London
Reviewed 3 April 2011

We stayed at Tugu Bali for 7 nights in March. Having flown all the way from London (via Hong Kong) for just a week, I can say it was worth the long flights and the jetlag! This is as good as a boutique hotel gets: it's unique, genuine and flawless.

For those who like arts, there a few dinning rooms decorated with so many old pieces it looks like you are in a museum. So far, one can claim other hotels display arts, but the special thing about Tugu is that you can choose to have your meal in any of these rooms (privatised for your couple/group), or in fact anywhere else on the property (by the lily pond for example). I found this extremely clever, and it is very relaxing not to have to go to a big restaurant with set times for meals, especially when you are staying for a week. Basically, you can have any meal, anywhere, at any time. The food is excellent and there is a great variety, for healthy diets or for indulgence, featuring many regional dishes. The Warung, set up as a traditional kitchen where you see all the cooking, is worth trying. I also loved the complimentary afternoon tea with local delicacies, all of which were home made and different every day.

The rooms are beautiful and very spacious. We got one on the upper floor with views to the ocean (Rejang suite). There was also a spa area with closed terrace and table within our room. It was extremely comfortable and felt homy with its antique furniture.
There are only 21 rooms in total, well hidden among the lush vegetation, so you have a real sense of privacy when you are on the property.

Someone on TA complained about the beach. Firstly, let me say you don't go to Bali for the beauty of its coast, there are far better beaches in the Indian ocean, but Bali offers more things than usual beach resorts. Secondly, I too was initially surprised by the dirtiness of the beaches (all of them, including in front of the Oberoi Hotel!), but after understanding the local culture a bit more you realise this is partly because local tradition believes that nature can manage itself, and the Balinese people are therefore not as advanced in sustainability as in some other countries, but efforts are being made, and tourists should be the first to set the example. Finally, you do not need to cross a 'road' to reach the beach, it is merely a strip that gets to a dead end, maybe the odd surfer parks there, which didn't bother me.

Tugu is in a remote location, so perfect to unwind from busy Seminyak, yet not too far to go there for dinner/drinks, a 20 min drive which you can get complimentary if Tugu's driver is available (a very smart way to manage the hotel resources I thought). The staff are indeed amazing, professional in every way yet very friendly. They will go beyond their duty to make you happy, fulfilling your every wish, even if you have not verbally expressed it (they just feel it!).

So in summary, this is not a place for people who like resorts as polished as Disneyworld, as Tugu has a real soul and is a place that promotes culture and arts.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2011

Thanks Irma and Sebastien for the warm hospitality...!!!

This was my best holiday in Bali so far.........and in fact it's better than Bulgari Bali!

Thanks to all the Tugu Bali Canggu staffs for taking care of us that we enjoyed throughout the 5 nights...........! Your spa was wonderful too.........!!!

Those who wants total private resort feel.......this is one resort that you will sleep the whole day without anyone disturbing your stay.

It's about 30-45mins from Kuta (depending on the time of day you are travelling).

• Stayed March 2011
Oakland, California
Reviewed 24 March 2011

We had the pleasurable experience of booking Hotel Tugu in late 2010 for a special occasion, a wedding vow renewal for our 10-year anniversary.

Planning any type of special event from across an ocean at a location sight unseen can be quite stressful. I had the pleasure of working via email with Mirah in the months leading up to the occasion. The communications with Mirah and Hotel Tugu were above and beyond what one could hope for in this type of situation: professional, timely, thorough and helpful.

The situation even came down to what could be considered an ultimate test when the date drew nearer and we realized we would need to scale down considerably from what we had originally envisioned. Hotel Tugu worked through this with us, never changing tone, which definitely stood out in all of the communications I had going on with various locations and vendors. They adjusted everything and kept delivering options in the face of this downscaling, all with an extremely professional outlook. I felt very comfortable we’d made the right choice.

Once we arrived in Bali we set an appointment with the Hotel to come and have a look and finalize plans. At this point we switched from dealing with Mirah, to talking with Sebastian, the general manager. He could not have been more helpful and thorough. We’d originally planned a beach BBQ but he walked us through the hotel property, including all of the incredible dining areas that we had the pick of. We knew the moment we saw the Bale Sutra room with it’s gorgeous red walls and incredible history, we wanted our ceremony and dinner in there. They accommodated us with this along with whatever menu we wished... they even supplied a wonderful officiate to do our vow renewal, who was just as professional and personable.

The night of the ceremony and celebration, we felt very taken care of. The entire night went off without a hitch, and was incredibly unique and special – our guests were wowed. We did the Grand Rijsttafel Dinner, which were 13 courses brought out by 13 servers... All of the food was incredible and the experience one-of-a-kind. We felt like royalty from start to finish. Every detail was perfect. We also felt the costs were, while not inexpensive, a very good value.

I wish I hadn’t delayed in writing this review for such an incredible experience at Hotel Tugu, but better late than never. Although we didn’t stay at the hotel, we did see the grounds and much of the property (stunning and unique) and had a high level of interaction with the staff, who we thought to be top-notch. All in all, absolutely 5-star, absolutely recommended. A jewel.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1MoreTravelGirl
San Vito al Tagliamento, Italy
Reviewed 21 March 2011

With my family I spend a marvelous week in Tugu Bali. The structure and decoration of the hotel is quite interesting, a vivid story of Indonesia costumes and believes and Chinese immigration. The personnel were very kind, always helping and telling us the interesting facts of Bali and Indonesia. The food is excellent and what I cannot forget was the delicious massage!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Last time I counted I have been to over 40 different countries and I must say this has been one of my best experiences ever.

The hotel is full of art and antiques, beautifully managed and shows an amazing attention to the service. Every staff knew my name and made me feel like if this was my own (amazing) beach retreat.

The food is probably one of the best options for authentic Indonesian and wait until you see the special places they can set a table for you to have lunch or dinner. One day I had breakfast at the beach and dinner inside a temple. Fantastic!

The room and the bed were definitely the most comfortable and romantic I've seen. One should not be allowed to sleep on these beds alone :-)

If you are tired of the mass tourism experiences of the Hiltons and Hyatts, you should definetely try this one.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canggu
THE HAVEN SUITES Bali Berawa
#9 of 143 in Seminyak
The Samaya Bali Seminyak
The Samaya Bali Seminyak
#3 of 143 in Seminyak

Been to Hotel Tugu Bali? Share your experiences!