“Gorgeous Place on the Beach”
Review of Hotel Tugu Bali

Hotel Tugu Bali
Ranked #2 of 41 Hotels in Canggu
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I just got back from almost three weeks in Bali. I will try to post some other reviews here but this one is my top priority.

After staying at a number of similarly priced lodgings -- mostly hotels, one villa -- all over Bali (in Ubud, Jimbaron, Nusa Lemobogan, Seminyak, Jimbaron, Legian), I have to say that the Hotel Tugu in Bali stands out for me as truly exemplary (and genuinely fabulous) in three critical respects:

1. The property is gorgeous. The buildings are lavish and richly and fancifully decorated -- but with no wrong notes, with great integrity and in (what to me seems to be) an authentic Balinese style. You enter a long wooden open air hallway to a gorgeous high-roofed lobby filled with antiques (get a tour of them!). The lobby must be thirty-forty feet high, held up by massive teak posts, with a thatched roof and dominated by an enormous Garueda statue and a low set performing arts stage. The lobby is intensely and (in the evening) darkly romantic -- in no way simply a place for coming and going. It is also is filled with actually usable chairs and tables and is a place you where you could spend hours just soaking up the atmosphere. (I did. You can take your meals anywhere on the hotel grounds you like. I liked the little tables in the lobby, which give you a wonderful view of the lobby itself and are set up against large wooden windows (often open) that overlook the pool and gardens and the ocean beyond. Folks you see staying at the hotel (not a lot, though, of course, I was there in February during the low season) seem kinda hip (and the few I met were indeed uniformly hip, even a bit glamorous). The rooms are the best I had in Bali -- beautiful textiles and furnishings, a lovely and very comfortable four post bed, a gorgeous private plunge pool, and a spectacular bath, the tub, shower and sink of which are partly outside, opening to a wonderful koi pond and a private, gated bit of garden.

2. The location. This part of the West coast is rapidly developing, with too much traffic and many new condos and villas coming on line. But it is less congested than better known beaches further south (Legian, Seminyak and Kuta). And inside the grounds of Hotel Tugu you will not notice any of the congestion and development elsewhere in Canggu. And you may not need to venture far into any of the rapidly developing surroundings. This is one of the few places I visited during three weeks in Bali where I was very happy to (largely) stay put. The massage on site is terrific -- as good as any I have had anywhere, expensive by "street price" standards in Bali, but a bargain compared to home (the US), and probably compared to other similar hotels in Bali. There is a world class surf break just fifty meters away from a gate by the pool (with rental boards and an easier beginner / intermediate break only a few minutes further walk south). South along the beach takes you (I am told) to a major temple, and beyond that to the beaches and hotels in Kerobokan and Seminyak. A short stroll north up the beach shows you an uglier side of Canggu (a terrible new sea wall and huge condo complex under construction, both invisible from Tugu) but you can probably soon forget all that as very quickly you get to a lovely sea-side temple and to a handful of places to eat, shop and drink along the water in Echo Beach. And if you do venture even further away from Hotel Tugu, there are close by -- by taxi or hotel driver-- lots of terrific places for shopping and spa services in nearby Kerobokan and Seminyak. (Careful about traffic at rush hours.) I liked the shops on Jl Tangkuban Perah -- what Lonely Planet calls the "street of amazement" -- near the Kerbokan jail; try "Andy Brothers" for figurines, baskets, textiles and other things from Borneo, and try "Umba Art" (no 235) for sculpture, carvings and other things from Samba.

3. The service. I saved the best for last. Many places in Bali have friendly, helpful and responsive service. But Hotel Tugu (in my experience) is stellar, even by Bali's high standards. In the spa, the restaurant (great food!, lots of interesting looking special meals/events you can order) and among the hotel's managers and staff I felt truly welcomed. My massage therapist (a Balinese dancer since she was three) was great -- as were the people who helped at meals. Uchi at the front desk and my driver on my last day were especially helpful and kind (repeatedly contacting my airline for me as I navigated a trip to the US consulate, to Indonesian immigration and through a three and a half hour traffic jam that almost caused me to miss my flight home.) I cannot say enough good things about these folks!!! Even if the location and grounds were not wonderful (though they are), the Hotel Tugu staff alone makes me anxious to come back -- and eager to try the three other Tugu hotels (in Lombok, Blitar and Malang).

Go!! You won't regret it.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank hcehce57
StephanieTugu, Manager at Hotel Tugu Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2013

Dear hcehce57,

I am delighted to note that you enjoyed all of the services, environment, the location of Hotel Tugu Bali. Indeed, Hotel Tugu Bali is not only located on a gorgeous quiet beach but also retains the charm and respect to Indonesian culture and traditions.

Thank you for recognising the staff who we owe a great deal; they are the heart and soul of this historic beachfront resort. We sincerely appreciate your recognition of that.

Thank you for staying with us, and look forward to your next visit,

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Walking into Hotel Tugu Bali and being greeted by the friendly staff you feel as though you are entering a world of bygone royal Balinesian life as a guest. After a welcome drink you gaze around the great hall of the lobby and realize that you are surrounded by objects d'art and antiques of the highest quality. All the things that relate to life in Bali are used as the decor of this amazing room that is opened at the sides for views of the grounds and the ocean beyond. This is where most meals are taken in small alcoves off the lobby or at tables positioned to enjoy the views. For feasts and special occasions there are historic buildings moved from other locations and also filled with treasures that are used for dining as well.
There are different room accommodations from tree house types to rooms with semi outdoor bathrooms surrounded with koi ponds in private gardens. Ours also had a lovely private plunge pool and a dreamily comfortable king size four poster bed. Among the antique like furnishings there was a flat screen tv as well. The friendly and gracious staff brings breakfast to your room before you even hang up the phone.
The dining menu is varied and contains traditional foods as well as western friendly dishes.
For history and Balinese art lovers you can't find a more atmospheric and gracious place to stay, free of the commerciality of modern resorts but with all the comforts including a spa, beautiful pool, and private beach. The one down side would be the quality of the beaches and the rough surf. You would have to go to another town to really enjoy beach life unless you are a surfer. But for a unique experience try Hotel Tugu Bali.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tgoldman60763
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Tugu front gate was unassuming and easily mistaken as a private villa. The establishment was very quiet and secluded. After walking on long corridor we arrived at a vast lobby, and greeted with fresh welcome drinks. Our room was Kampong Suite which was two rooms combined into one, since we were travelling as a family of 5.

The room:
Spacious, with striking furniture and nostalgic atmosphere. The beds were fashioned in colonial style high bed with crisp white linen covers. One thing we didn’t like about the room lay-out was the position of bathtub was directly on the left side from entrance door, and it was an open space which was partitioned with a cloth curtain. It’s also facing the main bed. Floors were waxed to a slippery degree, our kids slipped constantly when tried to walk bare-footed. Ammenities were lovely, lemon-grass scented soaps, shampoo contained in fat terracotta jars.
At night, there were no mosquitoes in sight. However, I couldn’t have a good sleep due to house lizards cackled loudly from above, I feared one of them would fell off upon me. I guessed they were hungry because the mosquitoes were absent.
The terrace was a seemingly relaxing place to have tea or coffee, but beware, ants were spying on the food and when no humans were on sight, they came out in troops.
Kampong itself means Village or Rustic in Indonesian language.

Facilities:
Hotel pool was a bit tiny, fill it with 10 adults and it would be crowded. The beach though, was superb. I guess this was also hotel’s intention to drive guests to the beach by making the pool not too accommodating. Canggu beach is famous for surfers.
Don’t miss out the welcome massage, ours was wonderful, conducted by experienced therapists (we know because we talked to them), they even offered massage to our 10 yr-olds!

Food:
The food was top-notch, as expected from this price-range hotel, a bit on the pricey-side, maybe lower when compared to Nusa Dua area standard. We ordered local cuisines, and the taste was quite savory, came in a medium portion. The tea-time on our first day consisted of tea and home-made snacks, which was an assorted delicacies from Holland-style pie to local banana fritters.
The hotel houses antiques from various era, and has very spacious dining rooms, although we didn’t see any guest using them at the time. It’s a shame we didn’t explore the collections for a more thorough comprehension, this hotel is literally a mini-museum.
The staffs were all friendly and quick with help. All in all, we enjoyed the stay. Photos included are captured from a kid’s perspective.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Chiaochuan
StephanieTugu, Manager at Hotel Tugu Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2013

Dear Chiaochuan,

We are so happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at Tugu very much and you really experienced what we would like you to experience - a tropical paradise, the real authentic Indonesia will all its exotic culture, art and history. Thank you also for the very thoughtful inputs and we will always strive to make sure that every feedback is being taken care of, and you will be as comfortable as possible during your stay with us.

As the upstairs suites have alang-alang roofs, they are probably more fitting to those who don't mind the sound of geckos, the charming symbol of Bali and the mosquito eaters. They don't usually fall from the roofs and also the bed has mosquito net/fabric on top which would prevent this from happening :-) but maybe next time you would like to try our downstairs Dedari Suite which doesn't come with alang2 roof and comes with white painted ceiling instead, therefore attracts less geckos

No request is too small, please don't hesitate to let us know immediately if there is anything we can help or to fulfill your wish.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

We had a beautiful experience at Tugu Bali. We stayed for 4 nights in a room with a private plunge pool (the highlight of the room!). The staff is wonderful and looked after us really well. On day 2 there was a foul smell in our bathroom, which we reported to the staff, and what we liked most was that they were quick and honest enough to let us know that the smell was because of a dead rat which they had gotten rid of. They even offered us another room, but since we had gotten used to our room and the smell soon faded away, we didn't really want to shift (the staff made sure that we weren't bothered by the smell). The menu is not much to go by, because the hotel serves mainly European cuisines, and does not have much of the local food on its menu. That being said, the quality of the food is very good.

The Balinese coffee at this hotel is simply exquisite!

We will definitely come back here when we visit next!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CRags11
StephanieTugu, Manager at Hotel Tugu Bali, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

Dear CRags11,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and I am really sorry about this incident in your room.
I am glad that you enjoyed our Arabic coffee from Kintamani mountain; indeed this coffee has a delicate aroma, as well as a rich and elegant flavor.
It is true that for salads we have more Western choices; but I am surprised that you mention about our menu serving mostly European cuisines because our A la Carte menu actually has more main courses from Javanese, Balinese and Babah Peranakan cuisine; without mentioning the Dim Sum and special set menu.

All the family of Tugu thank you and look forward welcoming you again in our home

Reviewed 12 February 2013

My husband and I stayed for five nights in the most expensive suite the Puri Le Mayeur as part of our honeymoon in bali. Firstly the good things - the room is huge and very private. Breakfast was very good and service was consistent and lovely. We had wonderful massages, and the hotel grounds and main pool was lovely. The antiques were beautiful and I truly appreciate and enjoyed the concept of the hotel.
However, for us there were some disappointments - mainly due to having paid a premium (580 USD) per night to stay in the best room.Whilst the suite was very large, it was very dark and had a slightly mouldy smell, and the maintainance was not up to scratch - the private swimming pool was grungy and there were rips in the cushion covers on the outdoor furniture. The walls were dirty and a panel on the internal door was hanging off. The bathroom was not outside as promised and the large bath was impossible to fill up without the hot water running out! Small details like the menu having filthy dirty finger prints on it, and the cushions in the lobby were grubby too meant that it didnt feel worth the money we were spending. Also all the books in the lobby (coffee table books on every table for guests to peruse etc) were all waterdamaged and mouldy - all of which just gave an impression of lack of care in the maintainance of the facility. After two days here we were seriously considering moving hotels but decided against it due to their lack of refund policy for cancellations.

That said, before we left we asked to look at some other rooms and the dedari and the rendang look to be absolutely gorgeous, so i would definately suggest staying in either of those rooms - as the hotel location and gardens are truly delightful - just not worth the extra money for the Puri Le Mayeur.

Room Tip: Avoid the puri le mayeur, as it is overpriced.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NadiaRose94

Dear NadiaRose94,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and others. We really appreciate your description and point of view.

I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast, staff service and antiques… and I also appreciate that you share your disappointment regarding the maintenance, so that I can pay attention to it together with my Engineering and Housekeeping teams.
I personally look forward to welcoming you back or maybe to our sister properties, Tugu Lombok or Tugu Malang, and I will be more than happy to personally arrange for an unforgettable room for you next time.

Reviewed 30 January 2013

One of our favourite things to do is travelling around the world. We like to stay in hotels with a unique character. Back in 2005 we experienced the Tugu Park hotel and from there we benchmark every other hotel we stay in. What the Tugu Park hotel does right is providing a unique experience through all the items that are one display and sometimes still in use, having a great location, serving some of the best food one can imagine and having a staff which will make the extra mile because you are their guest.

Our expectations were high and it is safe to say they were met. It started with the pick-up from the airport. In the car was a cooling box with drinks, a fruit platter and a refreshment towel. When we arrived at the hotel we could walk straight to the main area with a giant statue. We sit down, got a welcome drink and the staff handled the check-in. All we had to do is provide our documents. We got a full explanation of the hotel and any questions we had would be answered.

As we had a late arrive we had dinner straight away. The hotel has a concept that you can eat anywhere you like. The idea is you are the guest so you pick where you want to eat. The hotel has some beautiful locations for that so it is up to you where you want to have your meal.
The food was lovely and the portion was huge; from that moment on we knew we had made the right choice of coming to Tugu Bali.

Then we went to our room. We had the Dedari Suite; a suite on the ground floor with a pond with fishes, a plunge pool, a huge bed and a big bathroom. There is one other suite that is upstairs (Rejang Suite) but we would choose the Dedari suite anytime. The room had everything you could wish for including fresh fruit, free fast internet access and more bottles of complimentary water then you could finish. There were also anti-mosquito/insect devices installed at various areas of the suite so that they would not bother you.

After a good night sleep we had (the a la carte) breakfast the next day. The selection is huge; there is so much to choose from that you might have to stay at least a week to try all the different food. And this is not where it ends: with like 10 different kinds of coffee, more than 10 different kinds of tea the selection is enormous. Unlike some other hotels in the world Tugu wants to make sure you are not leaving hungry after breakfast and they succeeded in it.
Also for activities there is enough to do: an extensive spa menu, tours, yoga, danceclass, traditional medicine making etc. We will try that next time we return.

The manager provided us with a tour of the hotel. If you are interested in history it is highly recommended. The afternoon tea was just lovely again; served together with local cuisine it really was a nice touch. We had it on the private beach where the sunset is just stunning.
The next morning we already had to leave very early. The hotel provided us with a breakfast box for at the airport so we would not go hungry or thirsty, Again a good touch and a sign they are sincere about treating you as their guest.

We can highly recommend Tugu Bali. It is different than Tugu Park in Malang but on most levels it performs equally well or comes very close to it. We cannot wait until we can try the next Tugu.

Room Tip: The Dedari Suite is better than the Rejang Suite (you get a small pool with the first one).
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Juledan
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Just spent 3 nights there. The room 203 was out of a dream. The flowing drapes in the lobby are Quixotic. Food: amazing. Staff: like family. Go down he road for a meal at beetle nut. And to Monsieur spoon for a croissant. Fabuloso. And head to dues ex machina for a cocktail. But enjoy the staff atvTugu more than anything. And the pool is out of Indiana Jones. Loved it. Loved every bit of it. Thank you Tugu!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Britishbeer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canggu
THE HAVEN SUITES Bali Berawa
The Oberoi Bali
The Oberoi Bali
#14 of 149 in Seminyak
The Seminyak Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel Tugu Bali? Share your experiences!