“Certainly not 5 star!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Lv8 Resort Hotel
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Canggu
“Certainly not 5 star!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I would warn anyone against staying at LV8 purely on safety grounds. Paid top dollar for a family suite with my daughter and her young family. The first incident occurred when the electric cord on the bottle steriliser they supplied started to melt and burn! Second incident - my daughter was plugging her mobile phone in to charge and got an electric shock that threw the phone out of her hand! Third, yes third, incident plugged a new steriliser in ( different power point) and it 'blew' with sparks and smoke reaching the ceiling! Thank God none of the children were nearby especially the baby.
Managements petty solution: you can change rooms (a mission when there is only 2 days left and you're moving 7 people); an apology cake and a paltry 20% discount off of the room service charges! Insulting to say the least! There are no RCD switches in the hotel and on one day the power kept cutting out throughout the whole hotel so there is obviously a very real problem with the electrics.
Staff are FANTASTIC although they didn't seem too happy which is not surprising given the management they work under.
Food and drinks overpriced and average for what you would expect of a so called 5 star property.
I've stayed in a variety of accommodation in Bali from 3-5 star and to be honest I would go back to the 3 star any day before going back to LV8.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Christine R
Lv L, Director of Sales at Lv8 Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thank you for your feedback which posted on Trip Advisor review at the same time it is regret to hear the uncomfortable situation that you experienced at the resort.
We very much appreciate your constructive feedback regarding the quality of the “in-room electricity power points / plugs”
Please be rest assured that I have personally discussed this with the department heads concerned to ensure immediate improvement and rectification is made accordingly. I could not agree more that the issues you raised were valid and need full focus from our side to improve them and bring our standard of service and facilities to the next level. These are not what we expect from Lv8 Resort Hotel and your feedback has greatly contributed to our efforts of improvement.
We can not thank you enough!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Indonesian first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

We arrived at Lv8 with high hopes, as it claimed to be a 5 star hotel and we paid big bucks for our family suite. On the surface, the rooms seemed nice. However as time went on, it was evident just how poorly constructed this hotel was for a supposedly 5 star hotel.
We had 4 children in the family suite ages ranging from 11 months to 7 years. The hotel kindly provided us with a bottle steriliser, but when it was plugged in the electrical cord started melting onto the table runner, which then started smoking. HUGE fire hazard. I just thank my lucky stars we didn't leave the room or go to bed with the steriliser running, and could unplug it as soon as we smelled the smoke. We advised the staff and they changed the steriliser, which we were happy with.
The next afternoon, however, I went to plug my adaptor and phone charger into the power point, and it gave me an electric shock and the phone and charger I was holding in my hand went flying. My hand was buzzing for some time after.
The manager was informed, and came up to the room with an engineer who inspected the adaptor and power point, and I was informed that it was a faulty power point and they apologised.
It did not stop there. The next day, I plugged the new steriliser into a different power point on a different wall and after 30 seconds of operating, there was a big BANG, sparks flying and smoke.
I dread to think what could have happened if one of the children had been near it. Again, they apologised and sent us an 'apology cake' that evening. We just did not feel that was good enough. There had now been 3 seperate electrical incidences that were life threatening. A cake was not going to cut it. We queried them on their RCDs in the hotel, as they should have shut down the room's entire power supply at the first incident. We were told 'I don't know'. Not good enough!
We requested compensation for what had happened; for the room service bill to be wiped. Each and every time we wanted to talk to the manager, they faffed about trying to avoid us. When we finally tracked one down, he said they'd give a 20% discount off the room service bill. We tried to negotiate, and requested 50%. A different manager was sent to our room and told us that anything above 20% needed the permission of the owners, and they'd need to call Singapore. We told them to call Singapore, but they did not want to and said that we needed to help them as they'd done everything they can and sent a cake!!!
On the morning of check out, we demanded to speak to the manager to try and negotiate an outcome. He refused to come out of his 'meeting' many times, until we became more insistent towards the poor girls on reception.
Again trying to negotiate, we suggested a 35% discount. Still, they would not budge. In the end, we were threatened with security if we did not pay for the bill with a 20% discount and because they'd dragged this on to the morning we had to leave for the airport, we had no choice but to pay it.
For the 7 nights we stayed here, it cost us close to $3000 and it has left an extremely bitter taste in my mouth. I have been to Bali many times before, this was the first time I stayed at a ;5 star resort', and I was counting down the days until we went home to Australia.
The waitstaff and housekeeping staff were great but they did seem unhappy there and I can see why. The management is just terrible.
Take my word for it, if you want a 5 star resort experience then do yourself a favour and take your money elsewhere and steer well clear of Lv8. I would not be surprised if this hotel is closed within the next year!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank mrs_stewart713
We can not thank you enough!
Perth,Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed at the 3rd floor for 2 rooms , for the 5 stars the hotel are very poor,leaking hot water. The furniture,the service and decorations. Then we went to VUE beach club, which is what we saw it will be very excited and give this hotel one of the positive point of view after our dissapointed for the rooms. But it is all the same, the service are very very poor, the drinks are very expensive which no worthied with what we got. so we only stayed for 5 minutes and continue to other beach club in Bali in seminyak area. That place are worthied the price and what we got.

This is the worse experience i got since i stay in Bali!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Talitha C
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us at Lv8 Resort Hotel on TripAdvisor.
We very much appreciate your constructive feedback regarding the quality of the hotel and the service provided. The alcoholic drinks in Bali and Indonesia are relatively expensive, because we have to pay luxury tax for them.
We do hope that your less than perfect experience will not keep you from returning to Lv8 Resort Hotel when you will notice a significant improvement.
Cirebon, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

It was a nice place to stay, big room, nice view, very relaxing place to stay. but quite far if you want to go to restaurant, cafe, shop or market. You have to go by an accommodation like car or motorcycle if you are looking for food outside hotel. the breakfast is enough, not very much choices but enough for breakfast. the VUE beach club quite small for me so it feels quite crowd, so i spent my relaxing time in room balcony. The shower stream on my bathroom is very small, so i can't enjoy my bathing time. The price for meal is so expensive. Anyway this place is very nice to a guest who need to relaxing and enjoy the hotel because the rate is quite high :)

Room Tip: choose only beach view or beach front type room, don't choose garden view because the god thing...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Lv L, Director of Sales at Lv8 Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for your comments that well balance. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2014

We were here new year..OMG... doof doof doof music right under our room. Okay you young ones its for you I know. Over priced for sure 80K for a beer ++ are you kidding in Bali!! Big disappointment. Booked in May..and actually went to the resort and picked our room, only to be put on the 3rd floor which looked right onto a blearing white roof..NO NO. If you are staying here its 4th floor or nothing. Totally overrated very expensive for Bali. Definitely wont be returning. I like to feel like I am in Bali..not another country. Missing the traditional feel, trying to be a 5 star hotel but a way to go yet.

Room Tip: As I have said...its 4th floor or nothing , unless you want to look into a roof from your balcony an...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LORNADI61
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

I can safely say this is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. We were booked and pre-paid for 5 nights and checked out after 2 not knowing if we would get our money back for the unused time because it was ruining our holiday. (Thumbs up to hotel travel for resolving this on our behalf). The whole saga was a comedy of errors which would take pages to right but as a summary the issues include:

- 5 phone calls about a lack of hot water over a 20 hour period ending in us insisting on a room change and been offered a worse room to compensate. We eventually got an upgrade of sorts on our insistence but wouldn’t classify it as an ocean view by any standard.

-Despite the lack of follow up with our issues we were called twice, including after 10pm, and harassed over breakfast over a pool bar charge I had forgotten to sign. We agreed to the charges but it was too much effort to pop up to the room and wanted us to come to them.

- The hotel is a long way from anywhere and the hotel only does a shuttle to Kuta. We relied on taxis which took between 20 & 40 mins to arrive and then proceeded to charge us a very expensive “new year rate.” Not the hotel’s fault but still annoying.

- Breakfast was a very average buffet and people were chain smoking in the eating area. We had to ask three times for coffee and told to go and get our own milk. Not 5 star service.

- Asked for a pool lounger to be moved near the kids pool three times and was told yes each time before someone told me they weren’t doing it like that today. The loungers were there the day before and the place was empty. Was it really that big a deal & tell me the first time if it is.

- General shabby appearance of the whole hotel. For such a new hotel it is looking very tired.

- The pool was quite beautiful but not well maintained and had algae on the tiles.

- Half the lights in the bathroom in the new room didn’t work but couldn’t be bothered doing anything about it given the water saga the previous day.

- The toilets near the pool smelled of sewage the whole time we were there.

I think we have been a bit spoilt in Bali in the past with wonderful customer services and beautiful scenic hotels. This place doesn't cut it on either front. For the price tag go elsewhere and get something amazing.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Moet78
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Incredibly weak cocktails and poorly presented bar snacks topped by less than adequate service all at a premium price make this a venue to come for the view but don't expect much else. Having said that you get the same view at several other tried and tested resorts!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canggu
THE HAVEN SUITES Bali Berawa
The Kirana Hotel Resto and Spa
Hotel Tugu Bali
Hotel Tugu Bali
#1 of 33 in Canggu
Legong Keraton Beach Hotel
The Seminyak Beach Resort & Spa
FRii Bali Echo Beach, Hotel

Been to Lv8 Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!