“A Perfect Hideaway, Simple, Clean and Fantastic Location”
Review of Mote Surfstay

and 1 more site!
Mote Surfstay
Ranked #7 of 277 Speciality Lodging in Canggu
England, United Kingdom
“A Perfect Hideaway, Simple, Clean and Fantastic Location”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We wanted a quiet base close to the beach and good food, but easy enough to get into Seminyak and stayed in the Bingin Suite of Mote Surf Stay for 3 weeks in November through to mid December. We were older than most other guests (an international group of young avid surfers) but are young at heart and love the sea, and were delighted to be in this great, friendly, relaxed environment. The Bingin Suite has its own kitchenette in addition to outdoor bathroom and was perfect for our needs. We used wifi in the communal area and the pool was perfect for a morning or evening dip. It was a 10 minute scooter ride to the surfing beaches of Batu Balong and Echo and Bali's fantastic food has found its way to Batu Balong in recent years, including delicious salads and wraps from Betelnut, authentic pastries from French baker M Spoon, tasty inexpensive nasi padang at Bu Mi, and great seafood at Echo Beach, and the list is growing. Mote and Martha have done a great job in creating this super chilled out, beautifully landscaped corner of Batu Bolong. The atmosphere is friendly and respectful and it was a joy to come back to after negotiating the traffic jams of Seminyak. Although most other guests seemed to be there to surf, we did not feel out of place at all and were certainly very welcome. Mote himself is a highly experienced surfer and also gives surf classes. One of us took a class and felt that as a novice, he could not have been in better hands. We would stay here again and highly recommend Mote Surf Stay to anyone looking for simple and good quality accommodation in Canggu with essential services and comfort but no frills.

Room Tip: The Bingin Suite is Mote Surf Stay's largest room which is self contained with outdoor bathroom...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Jakarta
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I had a great time staying at Mote earlier in November. I stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed my time there. It is clean and the pool is too. I got the room without tv, I thought it was going to be a problem, but without tv, you are forced to interact with other guests and it so much more fun than tv. I wish Mote provides stove or a microwave so the guests can make hot meal or reheat. Also perhaps the wifi can be put more towards the center of the homestay instead of in the kitchen, so the rooms in the back can get signal too.
I am waiting for confirmation for my booking at Mote for later this month. I am excited to return and I am bringing my friends there. See you soon!

Room Tip: Get room closer to the kitchen/common area to get better wifi signal
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Motesurf, Owner at Mote Surfstay, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Hello!
Thanks for your review and for your tips!!! we are going to study the possibility to get a powerful antena for our WiFi connection and get something better for our common area in order to help people to have their own breakfast of food.
We are open to listen to everyone here that help us to improve our place.
Thanks for choosing us, and we are looking forward to see you again!
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Mote Surf Stay was a hidden Gem. We had a hard time finding a nice, clean, cheap homestay. We found Mote online, and when we arrived we where greeted by a friendly member of staff. He offered us Air con, and had us settled in shortly after. Then he introduces us to Mote, the owner of he home stay. A very nice man from Spain. He informed us of the good surf spots, and fees for renting. He then arranged us means of transport. He had someone he knew bring us a motor bike to rent for a very reasonable price. From the staff to the company they hosted, the cleanliness to the overall vibe this place gave off, our experience was unforgettable and I would 100% encourage anyone and everyone to stay at Mote Surf Stay :)

• Stayed November 2013
Motesurf, Owner at Mote Surfstay, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Thank you so much for choosing us as your accomodation in Bali and we are more than happy to see that you really enjoy our stay and your stay in Bali.
Hope to have the chance to see you again here and from all my team we thank you and send you all the good vibes ;)
burlington, ontario
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed at Mote's Surfstay last month, November 2013. I was there for 3 weeks and absolutely loved it!!!!! Its new, clean,has beautiful rooms and the staff is amazing. First time for me in Bali. Mote the owner made it so easy to feel at home away from home. He arranged to have me picked up from the airport, arranged for all my transportation around the island and to Gili Island. He even gave me a few surf lessons!!! His staff is so friendly and helpful. It was wonderful to have the pool centered in the middle as it made meeting the other guests so easy. Even the landscaping around the pool is beautiful. I will definitely be staying here again when I go back in 2014. Thanks again Mote and your awesome staff!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Coolangatta, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I can highly recommend Mote´s place as it is clean and friendly.
It has all a simple traveller/surfer would wish for. The stuff is friendly and the owner a living legend. He gave me good advice about spots I havn´t surfed before although I have been to Bali about 8 times the last 10 years and was super stoked to rediscover the island once again.
The place is clean, close to the beach, got a pool and hot girls and boys tanning next to it.
Why waste time in searching for another place when you can have it all for reasonable price meeting all budgets. Motorbike are available easy too. Top Notch!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My experience at Mote Surfstay was really good in comparison with other places in the area of Canggu that i have been before.

Beautifully furnished tranquil space with very fine attention to detail and keeping it simply. The rooms - identical in size and furnishing (super comfy bed) - The bathrooms are cozy and clean My favorite spot was definitely the stone pool and + garden (which is very well maintained) where we spent most of our time. We arranged surf clases and driver during our stay and we have no objection they make our stay easy and Fun.

The home stay is also well located for the main surf Spots , of Canggu, having a multiple choices for beginners to advance surfers, at night is very quite, which make the place perfect for rest and sleep.
if you are looking for some activities you have 3 mint by motorbikes beautiful shopping/eating street. Great cafes in the neighborhood Deus, betelnut, Cantine, MP, Old mans very well know in the island.

Jaime and Marta the hosts, are very responsive and helpful with information of the area and making everything as possible to meet new people and futures friends like in my experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 November 2013

suffice to say, we were only there for 2 nights, but it was such a great place to stay. super bedroom with bathroom. amazing pool in the middle for those sun tanning/swimming moments and a short ride from both canngu and echo beach want you want some surf and sand. friendly staff were on hand who took care of our questions and needs. what more do you need to chill in a little paradise tucked off the main road for that tranquil bali energy. mote surf stay is high on my list for somewhere simple and easy...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends