“Home away from Home”

Ranked #18 of 255 Speciality Lodging in Canggu
Berlin, Germany
“Home away from Home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

I spent 2 weeks at Mote Surfstay and didn't want to leave! The staff are very nice and accommodating with everything you need and the location is perfect! Close to the beach and still close enough to the bustling city center of Seminyak. The rooms are a cozy with large beds ceiling fan and AC and I love the semi outdoor shower! Wifi works great even for skyping loved ones. Beautiful plants and palm trees surrounding the pool and everything you need a short bike ride away, some even feet away including a Laundry service next door, Massage parlour, pharmacy, and minimart. I definitely recommend Mote Surfstay to anyone visiting Bali. Surfers, Yogi's, Foodies and Sun lovers!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I am lucky enough to have a 2.5 month surf vacation in Indonesia. By the end of my trip, I will have spent 5 weeks at Mote Surfstay. I cannot get enough of this place and consider it my "Bali home". The rooms are cleaned really well every morning. The pool is great for lounging. There are about 100 dvds to watch in the communal tv room. The staff is super friendly and will help you with anything that you need. And it doesn't hurt that you have amazing surf for all abilities about a 7 minute drive away! The guests are usually really cool and friendly and so it is the perfect place for a solo traveler. Gracias, Marta & Mote!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

I was ravaged by bed bugs and received around 40 bites in a span of 2 hours. I woke up from my sleep because I was feeling itchy, when I turned on the lights, I saw a couple of bed bugs on my bed and when my pillow was lifted, there were around six bed bugs! It was 3 am in the morning but I immediately asked to switch rooms. The owner was nice enough to wake up, apologise and not charge me for the night; however, I am writing this post for the sake of fellow travellers.

My room had supposedly been fumigated a few times before and I wasn't the first guest to be bitten. I frankly feel that I should not have been put in the room in the first place until the room was tested by a non-guest that it had been eradicated of bed bugs. I understand that they are extremely difficult to get rid of but guests should not be subject to the physical and psychological effects.

• Stayed February 2014
5 Thank Quekkie
Motesurf, Owner at Mote Surfstay, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Many news reports in recent years have focused on the discovery of bedbugs in even upscale hotels. Searching on travel-review web sites regularly reveals information and even photos confirming the presence of bedbugs in numerous hotels.

We have to clarify that this is just an isolated case cause it happened in just one room and our guest saw by herself that is true cause we change her into another room (and her friend was in other room) and the had a very good time.

Since bedbugs can arrive on the clothing or in the suitcases of guests from different places (and Indo is wide big for that), hotels can be an easy target for bedbug infestations and that room had bedbugs cause of someone who travel from the Sumatra Jungle (as we make our research to find the reason)

In addition to hotels, bedbugs have been found in movie theaters, office buildings, laundries, shelters, in transportation vehicles, and other locations where people may congregate.

As you know, we deal with this unlucky situation with huge celerity and honestly and we must say, as you proved while your entire stay, that is just an isolated thing in just one room as I said before :)

Today we already fumigated, removed and change all the furniture so there is no more problems about this unlucky situation that our hotel cannot control if someone bring this with him.

The reason about the reviews are something that we take care of and we use them to improve our place: we just did that and we hope that everyone who read this review, to understand this situation cause is something that in places like Bali (tropical weather with so many bugs all over the place) is common to have a business expose to this threats. But the bottom line is that we, as the hotel management, we take care of the situation very quikly and people can see that.
manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Just got back from my first Bali trip, I stayed 5 night at Mote surfstay and enjoyed every minute!
So lets start with the pros:

Great location, short ride from the beach and seminyak
Awesome staff, Marta was really helpful even arranged a scooter for me as soon as I arrived. They arranged great surfing lessons for me too!
Lovely clean dipping pool
Common room was cool to hang around and meet new people
Outdoor showers were really cool and room is cleaned everyday

Cons:
Have not got any...for $25 a night what more can you possibly want?!
Maybe a recommendation would be to put a sign up by the entrance door with arrival instructions as I wasn't sure exactly where to check in.

I can't wait to come back!!

Don't waste your time....scrolling through millions of reviews...just book this! You will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: All rooms are beautiful, enjoy!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and had a great time. The staff are super friendly, helpful and easy to approach. The pool is inviting and so refreshing after a day in the Bali sun.

The rooms are really clean and comfortable. The beds are huge and we had a great sleep. The outdoor showers are neat and the water pressure feels great.

There is a comfortable common room to hang out in where you can put some beer and snacks in the fridge. There is a big TV as well, a good place to gather. There's always other guests around to talk about the surf with.

It's really close to the beach and there are plenty of motorbikes to rent for 50.000 per day. You can even get one with a surfboard rack. Mote's is a great choice to base your surfing holiday out of. Thank you!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Les Gets, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

A very tranquil place, with a nice relaxed atmosphere. Rooms are nice and clean, there is wifi and a big pool, air con option too. The staff are great and the whole place is well maintained. A really good price for what you get. It is a little (2 min) scooter ride to the main canggu restaurants and beaches, which makes it quite peaceful. You have to travel to any restaurants as there isn't any in walking distance (not at night anyway), so they have a really great communal area with TV, DVD, some kitchen facilities and use of the fridge, water and coffee, which is a great option if you'd rather stay in or make it a bit cheaper. They hire scooters straight from the property at a good price which is another bonus. Overall, a very relaxed place. A must if you're staying in canggu.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

After 4 months of non stop travelling around south east Asia, this was the place that made us not only stop for a complete month in Bali but also decide to come back afterwards to finish there our 6 months trip.
Lovely place, lovely people, extremely clean rooms and a great relaxed surfer atmosphere to make friends with whom hang out after a great surfing session. Having a swim at the nice pool while the sun is going down, with a beer in your hand and planning the next surf session with your new mate is a commom thing at Mote. Nice clean rooms, great commom area, espectacular bathroom, helpful owners, efficent staff and experienced surf instructors will do the rest for you to leave the place planning your next visit to Bali.

• Stayed December 2013