“A peace of heaven close to hectic Seminyak”

Desa Seni, A Village Resort
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Canggu
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed in a deluxe villa, a traditional bamboo Indonesian house with a large living room, kingsize bed, big outdoor bathroom, terrace, chillout, garden view and lots of peace and privacy (Nasar room). The decoration is very charming and all the details make this place special. We enjoyed the complementary yoga everyday (many classes a day like a yoga studio, open to the public and actually all classes were full) with good international teachers. It's a eco hotel, commited with sustainability in Bali, they serve great fruit juices with glass straw and grow their own vegetables. Nice swimming pool, organic veggie gardens all around the hotel, great friendly staff. It's very quiet and looks like a village. The only negative aspect is maybe the service at the restaurant which is very slow, maybe to help stressed westerners to slow down and be more patient... It is located 15min drive from Seminyak and Petitenget busy areas, easy to reach by scooter. I would definitely come back and stay longer!

Room Tip: Nasar deluxe house is quiet, not too close to common areas, large and nicely decorated.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Howard K, Owner at Desa Seni, A Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review - your feedback is very important to us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and will strive to provide faster service in the restaurant. Knowing where we can improve helps us do just that - thank you so much and we look forward to welcoming you again!!

Reviewed 13 August 2014

I am very grateful to have stayed here for 2 nights, three days. I have to say that this is the most magical place I have every had the pleasure of calling home.

The staff are just so wonderful, they take the upmost care of their guests and respect your space if you are wanting alone time.

Each of the houses are magical, antique balinese houses with eclectic balinese decor.

The food was fantastic, a lot of raw, wholefood items on the menu.

The yoga offered to the public and guests is taught by wonderful teachers. Such a treat being able to walk out of your door and into yoga.

I was upgraded to Wishnu cottage which was absolutely perfect. It has a wonderful verandah for dining, reading etc. The staff introduce you to your new home, and home is certainly how I felt when staying at this beautiful resort.

I used one of their bicycles to have a bit of a look around the area. Not sure if everyone would be comfortable cycling in Bali's traffic but it wasn't a problem for me.

Three lovely resort dogs who will keep you company when needed :)

I could easily have just spend the three days purely on the resort grounds – it is the perfect place for time out, reflection and peace.

It is also important to me the Desa Seni give back to the Balinese community – you can read all about this on the website.

Thank you to all the staff. I look forward to returning sooner than later.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Howard K, Owner at Desa Seni, A Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for such a lovely review - your time is very much appreciated. We are thrilled that you enjoyed so many aspects of our little village, everyone was thrilled to read your posting! We thank you again for your kindness and your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back anytime soon!! Terima Kasih banyak!!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I've never actually stayed at Desa Seni, although I would if I didn't live in Bali; the staff is incredibly friendly and the place is beautiful. Included in the villa is an office with an Austrian doctor who used to be a GP in the UK but now practices acupuncture here. It is no exaggeration to say that his treatments were life-changing. A debilitating injury in my neck and an unrelated injury to my lower back were preventing me from living life to the fullest. Thanks to Dr. Thomas' treatments, I have fully returned to the active lifestyle I enjoy. I am extremely grateful to Dr.Thomas for his help and to Desa Seni for including this on their property.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Monty_Madness_72
Howard K, Owner at Desa Seni, A Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are super thrilled to hear that you have had such an amazing experience and that Dr. Thomas and Desa Seni were able to facilitate your recovery. Stories like yours make us all smile wider and make it all worthwhile!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Desa Seni is a stunningly beautiful, palpably spiritual, fairytale-whimsical and romantic place. It's like the Garden of Eden with tropical plants nestled between organic veggie gardens; an evening toad croaking here and there while you walk stone pathways illuminated by gumdrop colored lanterns and moonlight. The yoga classes and teachers are phenomenal, the food is delicious and organic, the staff is professionally attentive yet casually familial, and I am still dreaming about the lemongrass ginger tea. I travelled halfway around the world to visit Bali... and I'd do it again just for Desa Seni. This is an excellent destination for a solo introspective journey (which is what I did), a wonderfully romantic place for a couple, and an oasis for a small family. You can make it your own and you should. You won't regret it.

Room Tip: Each Rumah (or village house) is unique, homey, and gorgeous. I believe there are a total of 13 or...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Howard K, Owner at Desa Seni, A Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post such a glowing review. We are thrilled that you enjoyed yourself and your appreciation makes it all worthwhile. Thanks for sharing and if you are ever on this side of the world again, we look forward to welcoming you back. Terima Kasih and Namaste!!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

It was my second time there after 4 years. Always is perfect as I remember, despect from the area around that is's grow too much! It's like a oasis of wellness with superb yoga classes, and peaceful back in contact with the essential of nature. In one word when you are inside the Community you feel like in heaven!

• Stayed: July 2014
Howard K, Owner at Desa Seni, A Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

We are thrilled you enjoyed your second visit - it is always a pleasure to have return guests as they have become part of the Desa Seni family! Thanks too for taking the time to post a review - your kind words mean a lot! Terima Kasih banyak!!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Thank you to all the work at Desa Seni for an amazing trip. My stay was nothing short of an incredible experience. Organic food, beautifully decorated huts from Java, a luscious tropical garden that never seems to end, relaxing spa treatments, amazing service & smiling attentive staff and the best Yoga teachers & school on the island. The trip was like a dream, I never wanted to wake from.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Your kind words of appreciation mean so much to the Desa Seni family. Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are thrilled you enjoyed yourself and the yoga teachers also really appreciate the acknowledgement. We hope to see you back on your next visit to Bali. Namaste and Terima Kasih!

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We wanted somewhere special to end our 30 day visit to Bali. Somewhere to stop moving, relax, get a little pampering before heading home. We found a most tranquil stay at Desa Seni. They think of everything. Very well organized to make you feel special - from the staff remembering our names, to a birthday song and cake when we arrived, delicious huge breakfasts delivered to our porch and little sayings on our beds. All of our expectations were exceeded, and with such grace and smiles from the whole team. All of your kindness was truly appreciated. And the yoga was great too (but very popular, so arrive early to class!)

I do want to mention that the only way to the beach is along a busy narrow road. About 10 minutes on bikes that the hotel provides for free, but I found the ride a little hectic with the traffic. It's a really inexpensive cab ride, so that's probably the best option. Maybe the hotel could offer a shuttle to and from the beach for guests. If you do take the bikes, make sure your brakes work well.

Great job to the entire staff and owners for providing a slice of paradise. The thought and care put into every design decision really shows. It is artfully decorated with artifacts and pieces of Indonesian history. It's a feast for the eyes and soul.

Thank you!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Howard K, Owner at Desa Seni, A Village Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for posting a review - our staff really appreciate the feedback and it makes them smile even wider! We're are pleased you enjoyed yourselves and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Terima Kasih banyak!!