Phurua Resort
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 April 2013

This resort is easy to find being on the main road just outside Phu Rua.
Its a mixture of old and new with the older style accomodation gradually being replaced.
The modern accomodation was fully booked when we went so we stayed in an old style bungalow which was of a good size but pretty spartan inside.It did have a balcony where you had lovely views of the mountains and surrounding scenery.
The area around the resort is very picturesque and its main draw,I would say.
We ate in the restaurant and the food was not too bad.
Phu Rua,itself,is a very quiet town.Nothing too much to do but to drive around and enjoy the lovely scenery,at around 3000 feet and to chill out eating and drinking.Its very popular with the Thais as a weekend retreat because of the cooler climate and nice scenery.
There are some lovely flower markets in and around town where you can pick up some real bargains to take home,also fresh fruits like pineapples and tamarinds.
Note I've given 3 stars for this resort but if we had stayed in a more modern room,quite possibly I would have given it 4 stars.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the modern accomodation of the resort,if you can.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Zidane08
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We stayed here one night as a stop on the way home from our North Thailand trip. The location is easy to find as it next to the main road. We reached the hotel late around midnight and found out that the front desk is not 24 hours. However, they left the key at the counter but all light were off so it was hard to find. We got 3 rooms on second floor of hotel building. One of the rooms had some weird smell which I can't bare it, had to spray my own perfume around so I could close my eyes to sleep that night. The breakfast was decent. They made fresh fried rice and serve us the plate of watermelon at the table. The manager also came to apologize for not being there for our check-in which was fine.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Chayanin P
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Stayed here for one night recently - the location is right next to the Loei - Petchabun road about 4 km out of Phurua town. I must have been in the off season, as the rooms had a very musty smell and the back of the curtains facing the terrace were mouldy. The rooms were clean, the bed was rockhard - as you often find in Asia - and I was able to have a hot shower in the evening.

The Terrace attached to the room is nice and looks out on a little stream and some farmland. The dinner at the restaurant was excellent, the breakfast (included) was not to my liking (the eggs had been prefried and were very rubbery) and there was only nescafe with condensed milk.

Whilst the drive to Phurua from Loei was scenic, I found this too remote and would in all likelihood not be returning to this area.

The likelihood of people speaking English in this part of Thailand is remote. I had real issues finding my way around the wildlife sanctuary, although I highly recommend it for scenery ( but not so good for the wheels of my rental car)

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I have stayed at the Phurua on two occasions, one in the off season and one during the high season. Room rates are 50% lower in the off season. Beautiful scenery. Rooms were nicely appointed, though the patio door did not work on my last stay and some light bulbs were burned out. Simple maintenance issues that I would expect to be handled quickly. Breakfast was provided in the room rate.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms suffer from traffic noise.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank marcuscromwell
Reviewed 22 February 2009

This is a delightfull stopover for us as we journey from Chiang Mai Thailand to Vientiane Laos once every 2 months. The view rooms are always clean in the older Bungalow wing (baht 1300)or the newer modern hotel wing(baht 1500-1800); all rooms have nice balconies or terraces. The rooms and the restaurant overlook a flowered terrace of waterfalls, streams, pools and bridges. The food is decent; the restaurant is not exceptional.

Phu Rua is over 3000 feet in altitude and is a center for the flower trade. They also have vineyards which produce a mediocre wine and a good brandy. Phu Rua also has a National Park looming above it which is worth a day trip; there are lovely views from the park top north to Laos.

We make the land journey through Lampang via Utteradit via Chet Trakkan National park and on through Nakkon Thai most of which is back road and gives a great feel for Thailands rural North. There is an spectacular Temple (Watt) in the hills overlooking nearby Dan Sai which hosts the Phi Ta Kon Ghost festival in late June.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family