“Beware Chau Doc Scams”
Review of Thanh Nam 2

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chau Doc
Thanh Nam 2
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Chau Doc
Hawker, Australia
“Beware Chau Doc Scams”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We booked a 3 day Mekong Delta Tour in Saigon. When we got to Chau Doc the receipt was taken away from us. As part of our tour we stayed at the Thanh Nam 2 hotel.
When we go up in the morning the lady said that the slow boat had been cancelled so we would have to take a bus for $10. I told Duyen that I suspected a scam but decided to wait for reinforcements in the form of the German couple. When they arrived I informed them of what had transpired and got stuck into the receptionist that had informed us of the cancellation. I politely asked her for her name which she gave me. I then asked her for her identity number but that was not forthcoming. I informed her that we had a contract to go to Phnom Penh at the booking company's expense. She said that was not her problem. I pointed out that her company had been paid for the trip. She acknowledged that but said that they would not give us transportation to Phnom Penh other than by the bus which was going to cost us $10 each. Duyen later told me that some Vietnamese people came into the office and asked what it cost for a bus ticket to Phnom Penh and were told it was $6. So her company was going to pocket the money paid for the slow boat by us, get the normal commission on the sale of the bus ticket then $4 for each bus ticket. That is a nice little earner where the average wage is about $5 a day. I was not going to take this lying down so I informed her that I was going to inform Lonely Planet, Trip Advisor and Travelfish of their scam. After that I told her I was going to inform the minister for Vietnamese tourism as well. I still intend to do all of that. Then Duyen and the German couple got on their mobile phones. This must of worried her as she was shaking. She got on her phone and after about 20 minutes the slow boat was operational again.

We did our scheduled tour of the fish farm then about 12 tourists were taken to the border where a ce man took our passports and got Vietnamese exit stamps for us. He then informed us he had to go by motorcycle for 25 minutes to the Cambodian border to get our passports processed. When he came back it turned out that everyone had been charged $5 extra for his 'services'. He made 12 times the average Vietnamese wage in an hour. After that we had to walk to the Cambodian border and complete the process. We could have done it all ourselves. People in our group who had paid for a 'fast boat' to Cambodia got a bus ride instead. Instead of the 8 hour slow boat ride we got a 2 1/2 hour bus ride proceeded by a 2 hour boat ride. Everyone with us was scammed at least once but some twice.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Korean first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I can't say much more about the room than the other reviews - basic, with aircon, bathroom, everything old and relatively clean. 10 USD for a room.

However, I still strongly recommend it if you're heading to Cambodia. The staff speak good English, we didn't have a photo needed for a visa, which was immediately taken care of for a small fee.

We booked a boat ticket to Phon Pehn with them (slow boat) and it was a small engine boat, had 2 stops- one at a fish farm which was something very interesting. They also took care of the visas for 0,5 USD fee. After crossing the boarder there was a minibus waiting for us which took us fast and comfortably to Phnom Pehn.

We also booked a bus ticket from Phon Pehn to Siem Reap for the same day at the hostel and it worked well, paid the same as we would have at the bus station and didn't have to worry about getting from the mini bus drop off place to the bus station as they took us there.

On the boat our guide offered everyone hotels in Phnom Pehn or Siem Reap which might have seemed a bit pushy but actually we paid the same as in the hotel and they picked us up for free from Siem Reap bus station. It was a very good choice as we arrived at 1 in the morning. The Siem Reap hotel was nice and we extended our stay there.

The only thing I didn't like was in the hostel (the Chau Doc one) on the day we were leaving, there was a guy banging at our door at 6 a.m. (we were to leave at 7), saying "breakfast ready". Downstairs he was shouting to the surprised guests where to put their luggage and we weren't even packed yet. It created a bit tense atmosphere which was unnecessary as there was plenty of time.

All in all I think it was a great deal as we had so many things taken off our minds and it didn't even cost us anything.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Chau Doc, Vietnam
Reviewed 4 July 2012

This place near by the market, room with window, internet, wifi free, full of sirvice, half day, 1 day trip, motor bike for rend, staff also ok. $10 can be a/c with breakfast for room 2 pax.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Room basic but adequate, booked through travel agent as part of package tour of Mekong delta. No bed linen, sheet etc. Shower mixing tap came off when we attempted to turn on. Consequently no shower for the night. It appeared from the amount of rust and condition that the problem was not new. I reported this problem next morning when the desk was manned, but probably to no avail. Another couple in our group fared better, but had only a cold shower. I had the fruit option for breakfast which was well presented and refreshing. It was not overlarge but sufficient for the circumstances (climate and level of inactivity on a tour). Air cond was welcome, after we had expected a ceiling fan only. Can't comment on service as we did not require anything. We had to carry our bags but that is no surprise in Vietnam.Our night in this hotel was booked and paid for by the tour company. We do not know the tariff paid. However the advertised rates start from $6/night, which would be good value, if the shower worked

Room Tip: check the shower works
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Chau Doc hotels

Zermatt, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I also got to this hotel on my Mekong tour from Saigon to Phnom Penh, the travel agent told me it would be a very basic accommodation and that is what it was. But it was adequate too. The one thing that I really disliked were the polyester sheets and the soft peace of foam that posed as a bed. The lady at the reception spoke passable english and was helpful to a point. There is no WiFi in the rooms - witch is a big negative - but I was lucky I suppose because where my room was I had very good reception, otherwise you have to sit in the "lobby" to update your Facebook status. Given the level of development of Chau Doc, this place worked good enough for me for one night.

Room Tip: I had requested a room with air-condition, which helped a little and it was one of the nicer rooms t...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 October 2011

As mentioned by another reviewer, this is the hotel where you'll stay if you book a 'Two Days Mekong Delta Trip' with Mekong Tours - which is not really a tour, but a glorified way to make tourists spend $US45 and two days transferring from Phnom Penh to Saigon.

The 'tour' guide picked us up & put us on the back of motorbikes with our rather large suitcase which struck us as unnecessarily dangerous. Upon arrival at the hotel, she gave us a page with different questions on it (name, address, occupation, purpose of visit etc) and asked us to sign it. As we began completing the questions before signing, the woman became very annoyed and said 'it quicker if we do it'. My husband replied 'if I have to sign it, I will read it first, I don't want to sign a blank page' which annoyed her even more.

She then asked for our passports and took them away, saying they would keep them until we checked out. We said we weren't comfortable with this, to see if there was an alternative, and she began to yell at us for questioning her. She said it had to be taken to the police because it's a border town, so we asked if we could take it ourselves. She shouted back, "We have to take to police, if you no want this, you take it yourself and it cost money because two kilometres from here." We then had another 'tour' guide saying to us "don't complicate things, this is how we do it in Vietnam".

The room itself was basic & had not been thoroughly cleaned for a while. We also had to make our own beds. A hotel staff member knocked loudly on your door at the time he decided you should attend breakfast. Breakfast was very basic and rushed.

It was a very horrible introduction to Vietnamese people and culture, and one that I wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dewi1234
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 2 September 2011

We made a three day, two night tour in the Mekong Delta and stayed for one night in this guesthouse/hotel. It's basic but clean. The price is avarage so you can not go wrong with this one. Location is good and staff can provide you with a map and there is free wifi.

The staff is pretty commercial and insisted on making a reservation for a hotel in Phnom Penh (our next destination). Telling us that hotels might be fully booked overthere. We did not book through them and guess what, there were much cheaper options available and nothing was fully booked.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple