“Average. Worked as an overnight before the fast boat to Phnom Penh” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Trung Nguyen Hotel

Trung Nguyen Hotel
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Chau Doc
New York City, New York
“Average. Worked as an overnight before the fast boat to Phnom Penh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I arrived before 6pm (free shuttle from the bus station) and had a reservation in advance with agoda. ($13). Overall, the hotel served its purpose for my overnight in Chau Doc.

Cleanliness: No concerns here.
Safety: No concerns here.
Location: The market is across the street and the waterfront is a 15 minute walk away.
Amenities: Wifi worked

Customer Service: They booked my Blue Cruiser Fast Boat Ticket to Phnom Penh. They gave me a restaurant recommendation. Mekong. NOT the one across the street from the Victoria hotel, but passed the bridge on a boat. there were a mix of locals and tourists here. Considering the limited number of options in the town, i was happy with the recommendation.

Other: I was up early so the noise did not bother me, but you are right on the street so don't expect a long sleep in

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed here on a stop over with an intrepid tour. The rooms are tiny but clean, hotel staff are lovely. there is a market across the street if your looking for fish :) Showers were hot and air con worked. We had a corner room so we had a balcony which was nice. Breakfast was very good.

Room Tip: If you dont like stairs ask for a room on level one, no lift.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank m1ssJade
Blackburn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Nice little place to stay in this city of Chau Doc.
Very friendly and helpful staff. Though the rooms are very small and there is no elevator so if you have a lot of luggage it could be painful its good for the traveller for an overnight stay before moving on.
There is no shortage of interesting things to do in this town and hotel staff will help arrange for transport or anything you might want.
There is a local market right opposite this hotel which might be of interest to some travellers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I had one night at Trung Nguyen as a stop over. I'm torn on how to rate this place because it was the worst night on my entire month long trip. I hated the town. Is that fair to put onto the hotel? Not normally, but I feel like the attitude of the town also existed within the hotel a bit.

When I first arrived, I felt pretty good. The hotel looked clean and it was basically in the middle of the market. The girl who checked me in spoke the best English of any Vietnamese person I met. It was remarkable actually. I was brought up to my room and it was nice and clean. It had air conditioning. All was good. Then things started going downhill.

I asked the receptionist where I could eat. I told her I was a vegetarian and that I hadn't been feeling great so I wanted something western and a not street food. She sent me to… a bunch of street venders. She told me they were restaurants, but I think I only saw one and it was a very meat based menu. So I ended up not eating that night. I spoke with somebody a few days later who stayed there and said they ate at two vegetarian places while they were there. So they exist, but apparently the staff here is unaware of them. To make matters worse, this was perhaps the most uninviting town I had been in. People were rude. Staring is common in SE Asia when you're a foreigner. And I don't mean typical staring. It's intense and for a solo female traveller, sometimes intimidating. But Chau Doc really took the cake with making you feel unwelcome. I can't describe it. Again, maybe not the hotel's fault… but when I was waiting in the lobby, I got the same reaction. I don't know if they were all staff, or just friends/family of staff, but they were sitting together and they would just stare as if I shouldn't have been sitting there.

The next issue was that my balcony door not only would not lock, but it wouldn't stay shut. I went down to tell them in hopes of getting another room. I'm a solo female and I'd like my door to lock. Seems simple enough. She sort of laughed and said "you're on the second floor and have your own balcony, don't worry." Okay. Sure. I could have easily climbed up to my balcony, but great. I was more concerned about my stuff being stolen than my personal safety. And also the fact that the door wouldn't shut and mosquitos could freely come in. So since I wasn't provided another room, I used one of their hangers and wedged it between the door to hold it shut at least a little. After not getting dinner and feeling like I was unwelcome, I decided to watch some TV to take my mind of things. Well, too bad, little to no reception. It was all fuzzy. My remote for the air conditioner also wouldn't work. So I had to go down again and tell them. She looked irritated by me coming down again and assumed I just couldn't figure it out. Except the batteries had essential exploded in the remote. So a young guy did remedy this for me. And the air conditioner worked fine after that. Also, it should be noted that the internet connection was horrible on the second floor. I got it to work in one place, but it was very slow.

I also booked a bus through them to get to Ha Tien. I'm not sure if there are nicer buses that go from Chau Doc to Ha Tien, but I'd consider booking through somebody else if your expectations are… well if you have any. It was a rusty old beater with 12 seats, but 40 people on it and 5 teen boys jumping in and out of the back window to go pee (they were drinking beer the whole time) every 30 minutes. It was entertaining to say the least, but I did question if we'd ever get to Ha Tien or if we were even heading there to begin with.

Overall I'd say the hotel itself was nice, clean, comfortable. But the staff were rude, unwelcoming, and unhelpful. Even though they appeared very friendly to start. I think if you get lucky and have no issues, they'd be fine. But if god forbid you have any complains or requests, they won't be so eager to help and will make you feel as if you shouldn't be asking. A

Room Tip: *I'd say make sure everything works before you accept the room as they may not help if something...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Ok, don't be fooled by my 4 star review, this is mostly based on location, price, Internet speed, breakfast and staff which were all excellent. The room itself was quite basic but clean, had a working fridge and decent water pressure for both hot and cold water.

I would suggest a room on the 2nd floor if you are ok with stairs and overlooking the market. I noticed a few other reviews mention the noise which was not an issue for us.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Basic but good hotel. Great wifi and good location. AC worked well. The reception desk was very helpful provided a map of the town and booked our bus for us. The breakfast was also not bad, you order the night before.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back of the hotel or ask to see the room first (they offered this for us) we were...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

This is good value for a couple rooms are small but very clean large balcony a/c !!!! The management speak good english which is important for this part of Vietnam close to local market (,noise to about 1730) and boat to Phnom phen .,staff will give you a good deal on the boat trip with connection to jetty two blocks away .Very pleasant once you arrive at Cambodian border see the population difference very rural

Room Tip: try to find biggest room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple