“Favourite experience in Vietnam!”

Sapa Heavenly Homestay
Ranked #9 of 157 Sapa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed with Dat and his family for 3 nights. It was such an amazing experience, filled with culture, fantastic feasts (Dat used to be a chef in Sapa) and hiking. Dat is so friendly, with good english and a lovely family. He took us on many different treks through local villages, which was amazing to see how people lived and the beautiful country side and we also spent a night in another homestay in a different village, which was another great experience. I would highly recommend and really hope to stay again!!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank tanyasusanp

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We weren't sure what to expect. It was all a bit of an adventure. Our three weeks in Vietnam and Cambodia was all based in very nice hotels (we've done the backpacking thing in our youth and wanted a bit of comfort now we are all in our sixties), but we are all walkers, so we thought we should experience the Sapa "thing". How glad we did. It was fabulous. Dat's village is about 10Km from Sapa itself and was wonderful. Well off the beaten track, we only came across one other small group of "tourists" whilst we were there. Dat is so knowledgeable and helpful. The walks were tailored to our abilities and although the weather wasn't great, it was perfect for what we were doing. We saw so much of village life and were welcomed in peoples homes.
As other reviewers have mentioned, the food is very good indeed (Dat trained as a chef). Sadly we didn't get to meet his daughter as she was away with friends, but his son and wife are an absolute delight. The facilities were a little basic I suppose but to be fair, better than I expected. Dat has plans to improve and extend his homestay, although I hope in doing so he doesn't lose the unique appeal it has at the moment.
We had two full days walking, having arrived very early in the morning on the train from Hanoi, and just the one night with him. We packed so much in it seemed like a lot longer. If we do go back to Vietnam, and I hope we do, then Dat's homestay will definitely be on the agenda.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alistair S
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed with Mr Dat at Heavenly Homestay for 11 days and thoroughly enjoyed my experience.

He and his wife were very kind and flexible and cooked the best food I ate in my four-week stay in Vietnam. The homestay is simple and comfortable, located in beautiful surroundings, and it really does give you the opportunity to experience village life and the local culture first-hand. While I was there I taught English to the enthusiastic local children, as well as helped (although more likely hindered!) with some farming and other work that villagers were doing. Mr Dat is also very knowledgeable about the local area and people so you do actually learn a lot when you stay there.

I would certainly highly recommend staying here if you want an authentic Vietnamese experience, excellent food, and kind hosts. And while you're there make sure you have the fried spring rolls, and ask Mr Dat for some of his plum wine - it is extremely good (and rather better than snake-rice wine!)

To contact Mr Dat email him on datsapa@gmail.com

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Peter B
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My son and I spent 5 nights at Heavenly Homestay with Dat and his wonderful wife Li and 2 1/2 year old son. Heavenly Homestay is in Ta Phin village about a 25 minute motorbike ride from Sapa, or you can trek there in about 3 hours. The village is located in a very beautiful valley surrounded by rice paddies cut into the mountains and with beautiful vistas everywhere you look.
The food was fantastic! Definitely the best Vietnamese food so far - Dat's egg rolls are great and we had fish, chicken, beef, tofu,pork, very tasty local mushrooms, green beans and lots of other locally grown vegetables and it seemed that we never had exactly the same dish twice. We also shared some great local plum wine.
My son did some volunteer work on a couple of our days there and I taught some basic English lessons to a group of the local children for four of the days - that really added to our experience. Dat took us on a very vigorous but thoroughly worth it trek one day up into the mountains to a small waterfall and swimming hole - a little too cold for a swim this time of year but we had a great lunch sitting on a rock in the middle of the river before heading back.
The homestay is a 10-15 minute walk up the hill from the main part of the village but is right in the middle of local families and so you get to see a real slice of life in this village of Red Dao and Hmong peoples. These were also some of the most relaxing days I have spent in a long time - sitting on the second floor balcony of the homestay reading, writing and just looking at the sky and the mountains. Wonderful place - if you want something unique to add to your time in the Sapa area, you definitely should spend at leas a night or two here.

Room Tip: This is a homestay - not a hotel. The sleeping area is on the second floor and divided into 4-5 are...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank OzExpat
Reviewed 17 October 2013

My husband and I did a three day / two night tour of Sapa. We signed up with Dat from Heavenly Homestay based on recommendations in Tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. Dat is friendly and welcoming, and his English is very good.

He lives in a small village outside of Sapa township so you will get the real, authentic non-touristy experience. His home is very clean and comfortable complete with a western bathroom. There is nothing like a hot shower at the end of a days hiking! We were served a wide selection of dishes at each meal and the food was amazing. Dat also has a fridge filled with water, soft drinks and beer from which you can help yourself.

From the top floor balcony there are beautiful views over the countryside and you can sit and watch the locals returning from their work day. We watched the children playing in the street, water buffalos, a man herding ducks, and a young boy proudly holding a live snake he had caught!

When my husband wanted to explore further, Dat handed him the keys to his motorbike and let him go off on his own.

The hikes can be as easy or as challenging as you like. We opted for the more challenging option having just spend several days eating buffet breakfasts and lying by the pool in Hoi An. But anywhere you go in Sapa is beautiful so you won't miss out regardless.

Staying with Dat and his lovely family at Heavenly Homestay was an unforgettable experience and a must do for all visitors to Vietnam. datsapa@gmail.com

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rachelle L
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Thank you Dat and Ly for a wonderful night and 2 days we recently spent in your home and village.

The information and history you provided us with was amazing. I will never forget watching the village kids on their way to school, those 2 day treks through the mountains!!!, joining with the kids in their school physed ed lesson and the village which we are helping by providing building materials for concrete paths and basic household items for the family.

Ta Phin is a wonderful community and one of which you should be proud. We feel priviledged to have been welcomed into your family and village and will most certainly return.

The treks through the mountains was breathtaking and not another tourist to be seen - just a life changing experience. The scenery is even better than the postcards!

Thank you Dat and Ly - we will be back.

If you would like to contact Dat here is his email: datsapa@gmail.com

You will not regret it

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank prueann55
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We paid a lot of money for a 4 day tour with Dat,and out of a year of travelling,was the biggest letdown so far...Dat was rude, didn't give us any information on the area,villages etc,was so crap, after 2 days,we ended up leaving his home stay and going into Sapa, saved by getting an awesome guide who took us on a 2 day bike/ trek and stayed at the best family home stays.
Dat was only interested in the money,which is so expensive for absolutely nothing,everyone we talked to in Sapa,were having the best experiences for 1/4 the price...don't waste your money,you can get so much more for your money than this guy, and someone who actually has manners....

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Belinda P
Dat L, Owner at Sapa Heavenly Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear Belinda,

I am sorry you did not enjoy or feel that your stay at Heavenly Homestay was worth it.

I'm afraid that just before your stay I had had to look after my sick father, and this meant that I was slightly preoccupied and tired when you visited. I can only apologise for this impacting your stay, and meaning that I did not provide you with the service that you expected, which I do my best to provide. I hope that this is reflected by the positive reviews on this site.

Regarding my prices, I try to offer, as well as the homestay, entirely tailor-made private tours, with access to areas that require local government permission so not all tours can show their clients these, and which include all private transport and tickets.

Again, my apologies for your disappointment,

Dat