“Basic and Cheap”
Review of Sapa Backpackers

Sapa Backpackers
Ranked #80 of 173 Speciality Lodging in Sapa
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Sapa Backpackers has a great story behind it. They are affiliated with the Hope Center who teaches English to orphaned and/or underprivileged children. The accommodation at Sapa Backpackers is very basic, hostel style. It's quite cool in the mountains so there is no AC, I think there is heat for an extra cost maybe? But we did not need it. If you are roughing it not a bad place for $3 a night.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 June 2014

I feel really bad to write this review. We really wanted to stay in this hostel to help the children's center it finances. Sadly there is nothing good about the accommodation. It is not one of our worst stays in Asia (at least ther were no bugs here) but seen the price we expected more.

We staid in the most upper left private room. The room and bathroom are pretty dirty. Had to fix the shower myself for water coming out. Warm water didn't work and towels where also dirty and smelly. It's also pretty noisy, specially in the morning, it seems that you can hear every single noise from other people in the stairs or next to the room.

For less then what we paid we staid around the corner in a clean and two times bigger room with mountain view.

The staff and children are friendly but I wouldn't recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sjoerd F
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I took this hotel after reading the Tripadvisor reviews. However in my opinion this hostel did not live up to the reviews. All accomodation in Sapa is pretty much in the same square so location is the same as everywhere else. The accomodation here is very outdated and dilapidated. Which I dont even mind but as a solo traveller I stay at hostels to meet other people. While there I met no-one. The general social area is tiny. The rooms are freezing and small. I love the concept and I think if you go in a group its a good bet but by yourself might not be the best place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Charlie_KSA
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This place is cool! Nice atmosphere, cute children working here and everybody is very friendly and helpful. They organise great trekkings with Susu with a realy nice local homestay. Would love to go back here!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

This is the only bad review i have unfortunately, but in writing it I hope the management will see it and sort it out...
The ground floor teaches English to kids which is great, and there is a lot of charitable work going on. It seems the girls run the place during the day. They were very enthusiastic. Unfortunately when some people checked out of our room the girls came to do their beds - the sheets were simply shaken and folded, not changed. All sheets in the room were absolutely filthy to begin with - dodgy stains and a lot had mould spots growing on them. Also, the showers on both floors didn't work. We met some cool people here but for these two reasons I wouldn't recommend it, unless the above is sorted out! But for $4....

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I don't like writing negative reviews as I always try to look for the positive side of a situation...however I am really struggling with Sapa Backpackers.

The location is good enough - just behind Sapa Church and a short walk down the steps to the main streets for shops and restaurants.

The price is also fabulous if you're on a budget - $3 a night (though I was told this can be more if you just turn up without booking in advance).

The rooms are basic, which is fine - after 12 months travelling around the world I am well used to basic. However, the mould covering the walls really made me uncomfortable (I'm aware there is a problem in areas of Vietnam regarding damp, but this was extreme), as did the filthy sheets, pillow and duvet cover. The towel provided was so disgusting and had such a stench I could not use it, and there was a lot of litter, dead insects, nail clippings and the remains of a spliff under my bed, which had obviously not been cleaned for a long time.

The window on our dorm did not shut properly and was left to flap about in the wind and rain that we experienced during my visit. The door also did not lock (and there was no key provided anyway), though lockers were provided (complete with rubbish dumped inside).

The bathrooms were a reasonable size and there was one on each floor. However, the floors were always filthy, there was really any toilet paper, and only one of the showers had hot water.

Another thing that made me uncomfortable was the little girls that were working there. They must only be 9 or 10 but they are the ones checking guests in, cleaning, taking money...they were there all the time so they were obviously not going to school and when you tried to engage them in any sort of conversation they were not interested...not what you expect when the whole point of this set up is to help the children learn English.

On a side point, I booked a trek through the backpackers with a local guide. It was more expensive than advertised at other hostels/agencies in town but I didn't mind too much as it was effectively a private tour. However, after being promised visits to various hilltribe villages and trekking with magnificent views of the rice fields and countryside that Sapa is famous for, I was disappointed to follow the main road for over an hour before following a well-used footpath/track for the rest of the trek, passing by a couple of farms until we reached my guide's village where we had (an admittedly great) lunch at the local shop before going to her house so she could pick up some personal items and drop off some foods she had picked up on her way. I actually saw better scenery on the motorbike journey on the way back to Sapa (which was an additional cost) and had more encounters with hilltribe villagers at the market in town.

I'm sorry to say I would not return to Sapa Backpackers, and I won't be recommending it to anyone to stay

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kirsty D
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this place for 9 days- located in the very center of the city not far from the church but still on a quite street. This is a great place to get to know the locals, meet a lot of other travelers and volunteer in building "Sapa hope center"- a home and a school for homeless village kids, which was funded by Peter the owner. Accomadation is the cheapest you could find in Sapa, although the rooms arn't very clean (that's pratically the only bad thing I had to say about this place)

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends