Thai Binh Sapa Hotel
US$92
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsnam hongelectric blanketslovely hotelloved this hotelsa panight train from hanoienglishheaterfireplaceguidetourstrekvietnammarketmrbosspickup
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 April 2012

It’s a shame that the staffs (except for the boss who only comes in at night) don’t know English, so there’s a problem communicating with them. However, they are trying their best to help out. The room is a tad dirty, and the TV screen is very grainy, and gets cut over after certain timing. The internet connection is also very weak. Otherwise, the hotel is good. It’s near the Ham Rong Mountain, Cat Cat village, and also the market area. We were given a room with a balcony, thus we get the privilege to have an excellent view of the scenery around the hotel without going out in the cold.

Nice fireplace in the lobby.

Room Tip: Get a room near the balcony
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank starybell
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Pleasant room with small balcony and lovely spa styled bathroom. Portable heater and bed warmer were plenty warm. Mr. Nam made arrangements for trekking directly from the hotel, and our guides spoke English well, made the treks fun and informative.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We emailed Mr Nam and asked for a room at his hotel. he arranged our train tickets, transport from train station and our 2 day trek and everything ran smoothly.
The hotel is in a good quite location, breakfast is basic but good, Rooms are clean, beds have electric blankets and heaters, and have warm water for a shower. The owner Mr Nam (good English) cant do enough to make sure everything is OK.
He arranged a 2 day trek with a local Hmong lady named Mee who showed us through the local touristy type village on the 1st day and on the 2nd day took us on a great hill climb and to her own village were we went to her house and met her family and they made us lunch. This was a great experience and you can not pay enough money to do something like this. These people are amazing.
The only bad experience was the bus from the train station to the hotel in Sapa. If you are in a group and you can afford it get a private car to the hotel, as the shuttle bus can be a crazy experience and at 5am in the morning after what might be a crazy train ride all night the last thing you need is any hassle with transport.
We caught the Livitrans train and we booked a 4 bed birth for 2 of us and it was no problems. Nam arranged all this with only our passport numbers.
(DEFINITELY ASK FOR YOUR TOUR GUIDE, HER NAME IS MEE SHE IS A GREAT TREKKING GUIDE WITH GREAT ENGLISH AND TAKES YOU AWAY FROM THE BORING TOURIST DESTINATIONS AND DOESN'T TRY TO SELL YOU ANYTHING YOU WONT REGRET BOOKING HER)
Hope this helps.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 05122012Name
Reviewed 20 March 2012

I am a single woman who was traveling alone to Sapa and planned my trip with less than 2 weeks lead time. Since I had never traveled alone in a country where I didn't speak the language, I had some reservations. I checked the hotels in my price range on Trip Advisor, and Thai Binh seemed to get the best ratings, plus it is centrally located.
Working with Nam via email to plan my trip was so easy. He booked my train for me -- I was concerned the train car would be filled with obnoxious people or smokers, but Nam booked me on the same car as some of his other customers. The shuttle driver, Son, was the most polite and safest driver I had during my entire 2 week trip to Vietnam.
The hotel itself is very nice, and the rooms are beautiful. Bring your long underwear or a warm coat, because the weather can be unpredictable. The overnight train from Hanoi gets to Lao Cai at dawn, and I was able to join a 15 km hiking tour to 3 villages that same day ($16) arranged by the hotel. The two other couples on the tour were wonderful and our guide, a Black Hmong woman named Lan, took us into the villages and into several homes. She shared much with us about local customs and agriculture. The second day we did another trek to some other villages, and had lunch at Sapa Garden, operated by Nam's parents, and the food and garden was wonderful and the guest rooms were huge!
The only complaint I have is that I had trouble figuring out how to operate the hot water. Since I'm not one to fuss, I took cold showers for a few days until I realized that you need to turn the spout to the right for about 10 seconds before you turn it to the left.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Timothy R
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights and got a room with balcony on the 2nd floor facing Mt Fansipan, the highest mountain in Indochina. I was there during their winter season and it was rather cold but there is heater and a fire place in each room. It was bright and sunny (but still cold) during my first 2 days and cold and foggy on my last day there. The room is very cosy; spacious and very clean and there is even a rain shower. The location is very good as it is away from the main road but within walking distance to the shopping and food street and just behind the church. It is at the entrance to Ham Rong Mountain which is a must-visit! It is possible to do a self-trek and takes about 3 hours, it has a very good view of Mt Fansipan and Sapa Town. Do go for the treks by local guides, my guide is called 'Me', she is from the black Hmong tribe and speaks fluent English. The trek was slightly tough for me but really worth the climb with awesome view of the mountains and rolling hills.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends