“Visit to Sterling”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sterling
Alaska Redfish Lodge
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Hi Steve and Family! We can't thank you enough for all of your hospitality during our short stay in Sterling a couple weeks ago. Despite the lack of fish caught during our stay, you surely went out of your way to assist our rookie fishermen! Notice that I am not including myself in that comment! Thank you for rearranging things to fit our schedule and we just wish we had allowed for a bit more time so that we could have enjoyed the pig roast for Luke's birthday party. I'm sure everyone had a great time. I've included a couple pictures here and again, your customer service and accommodations were just top-notch!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Kristal W
There are newer reviews for Alaska Redfish Lodge

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Steve & his crew/family run a great operation. The cabins were great, the staff accommodating, the guides were awesome and we really appreciated the use of equipment (tackle, hip boots & coolers). It's Alaska, not an urban drive thru with pillow chocolates. We also enjoyed Steve swinging by in the evenings to check up on us and the other guests. We limited out on all our fishing trips (including a 52lb King).
Definitely heading back next year to Red Fish Lodge.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank D S
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at Redfish lodge for 9 nights. The cabin was spacious and well stocked, the bed very comfortable! We were there to fish and the location was perfect with many options for fishing the Kenai and Russian rivers and also some smaller creeks for trout! I am a bit picky when it comes to lodging as my parents were in the motel business when I was a child, THE CABINS WERE EXTREMELY CLEAN!!! Steve, his wife and their staff were very accommodating and helpful. I definitely recommend Redfish Lodge and we will stay here again in the future!!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Linb113
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

We had a nice quiet stay at the Redfish Lodge. We used it as a central location to go fishing from. The room had all we needed. We stayed for 2 nights and never got to meet the owner Steve. We only got to talk to their children. It rained the whole time so we did not get to enjoy the campfire time. The dock area on the river was a nice place to hang out an we caught a few trout. A couple bald eagles hung out too.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank KathyHTP
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My buddy and I stayed for 5 nights. We fished all day and most nights. The staff stayed up taking care of the other guests fish until 1am in the morning while laughing and joking with each other. I am a manager at a casino in Oregon. We are only successful because of our staff and the level of customer service that they provide. The staff and owners of the Redfish surpassed all expectations that I could have possibly had. The lodge is spactacular and extremely clean. Their location to the river is premier for fishing as well as their cleaning station if you clean your own fish. If you prefer having them take care of everything they will. After my stay I have already started booking my trip for next year.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank KentKaiser
Reviewed 6 August 2013

For the last number of years I've visited with the gang at Red Fish Lodge and have never been disappointed. The cabins are clean and have everything I'd want or need. The fire pit is welcoming and a bonus on cool nights. The fishing was fantastic- caught our limit both days in a little over 3 hours plus the fish processing is efficient, cost effective and my fish stays fresh throughout the year due to the professional grade vacuum packing. I appreciate the attention paid to children on site - a fenced playground, and a strong commitment to enforcing safety around the property and the driveways. This is a great location for a family stay or a weekend getaway. We've even made it a girl's weekend site and had a great time. Will be back soon for sure.

Room Tip: Rooms are great for groups of 4 also.
Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julie M
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I am quite familiar with Alaska travel and the potential for quirky and unusual customer service experiences but the Red Fish Lodge takes the cake. At check in and throughout our stay the front desk ladies were friendly and accommodating. The "cabin" was bare bones with a strong sulfur smell and taste to the water, there was late night noise from the fire pit, and the so called river access was quite a distance from the lodge. The entire facilty resembled cabins arranged around a gravel pit. None of this is too out of line for Alaska. Unfortunately we also had to interface with the owner Steve Stuber. Mr. Stuber was handling our requests for guided fishing trips but did not return pre trip phone calls and was difficult to reach after arriving at Red Fish. All trips appeared to be last minute bookings with no regard to our schedule and Mr. Stuber appeared unknowledgeable about the fishing seasons, when guided trips were available for what type of salmon, did not know state park fees and was at best rude, childish, combative, condescending, and dismissive. He actually physically threatened a retired gentleman for allegedly driving too fast on the entrance road. We thought we were going to have to call the police on Mr. Stuber. The facility is 11 miles or so from a grocery store and there are very few dining options in Sterling.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank dilworth2
AlaskaRedfishOwners, Owner at Alaska Redfish Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Wow every couple of years we get a truly unruly unhappy guest. There seems to always be a hostile response here on trip advisor to try and hurt us. Please hear our side and also read onto what others have written about us a you be the judge of this person and their review. As managers and parents we do try and keep a safe environment for our and your children. This guest drove in way to fast on day 1 and was told "please do me a big favor and slow down we have many children here some are having lots of fun and not looking around slow down and watch for them". Day 2 after having a bad days fishing drove in way to fast, probably still very upset about lack of fish was told I now need you to slow down for the safety of our guests or you will not be allowed to stay. At which time reviewer (also said retired person in review) became very very belligerent when I asked them to calm down or I would have to call police. Next about fishing Alaska Redfish uses only the highest quality guide services and can not tell the fish what day to arrive. There was a mix up two guides similar names Matt and pat the guide service apologies and did get them on another boat later in the day. Also we did pay the guide and still reimburse this terrible client his money!!!!! On a brighter note this guest had a traveling companion who will be bringing his whole family to stay at redfish next year ( I guess opinions vary in the same party). as to our cabins and property please read what others have said about how hard we work to give our lodge the stand apart quality in Alaska fishing lodges. Finally about our River access please know we understand it is not large but the fishing has been amazing this year reds to be caught better than most areas and also some world class rainbows are being caught right now. Thank you for hearing our side and also look to others to see if this is not just an angry reviewer who is spiteful and unreasonable.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sterling
Kenai River Lodge
#11 of 12 in Sterling
Alaskan Wooden Bear Cabins
Alaskan Wooden Bear Cabins
#8 of 12 in Sterling

Been to Alaska Redfish Lodge? Share your experiences!