“One of the best botique hotels ever - a hidden paradise!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Olympos Lodge

Olympos Lodge
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Cirali
Washington, DC
“One of the best botique hotels ever - a hidden paradise!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2009

So let me first start by saying that I literally researched nearly every hotel and pension in all of Cirali (dozens) and was more than happy with our choice to stay at the Olympos Lodge. The negative reviews of the hotel here were likely written by the "super rich" who expected a super modern 5 star resort. Those type of people shouldn't come to Cirali in the first place as it's a hidden paradise to chill out, relax, swim and do some hiking around the ruins.

I did check out Arcadia Hotel which is nice but the grounds are no where near as lush and beautiful as the Olympos Lodge. Secondly - Arcadia is on the far end of the beach towards the more dry/sand dune section which means the views from the beach aren't as nice and you have further to walk into town for any of the restaurants. Also, Olympos Lodge is the closest hotel to the Olympos Ruins and has an abundance of comfortable lounge chairs and is directly on the beach. The grounds are simply paradise with peacocks roaming around and lounge chairs and hammocks everywhere.

I'll bullet out the pros and cons here:

Pros
-- Very attentive staff. After checking into our suite we had a drink at the bar and asked one of the staff for additional towels. Within 30 seconds we saw a housekeeper literally running to our room with towels. They'll also come out to the beach to take your orders.
-- Amazing grounds with flowers, exotic trees, peacocks, pond. At night these flowering trees gave off this intense perfume that was intoxicating.
-- Breakfasts were amazing. They are laid out under this pavilion and have freshly baked breads/muffins, eggs, jams, olives/vegetables. Great coffee and great service as well.
-- Restaurant - food in Turkey overall was a disappointment but the food here was rich in flavor and had a mix of Turkish and Italian dishes. Keep in mind that all alcohol in Turkey is charged a 60% VAT so a bottle of wine is very expensive.
-- Location: Right on the beach, closest hotel to the Olympos ruins. Close to the line up of beach restaurants in Cirali and close to the local grocery store.
-- Room: Only saw our room which was the deluxe room but it was modern, clean and well-furnished. Comfortable bed, great big bathroom, nice sitting/lounge area, could NOT hear the room next door (only one room over as the deluxe suites share a little cottage like building). Total privacy as well and your own patio area that's private (with view of ocean).
-- Great environment for honeymooners and also for families - about 3 families were there with small kids although they weren't loud/noisy and just had fun playing in the grounds and on the beach. The entire atmosphere was so relaxed and peaceful.

Cons:
-- If you're looking for a place to party or with night life, then not only is this hotel not for you but Cirali isn't for you either. So not sure that's a con really :-)
-- Most expensive hotel in Cirali but there is a significant jump up between this hotel and the next.

We went on our honeymoon and it was definitely worth the splurge. Never wanted to leave!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jason G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Turkish first
Dusseldorf, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2009

I have just returned from a short trip to Turkey, where I stayed two nights at the Olympos Lodge. I was looking for somewhere to relax and work in a beautiful setting away from the developments of Antalya, Alanya and the like, and found heaven here, only a good hour away from Antalya – I was even disputing with myself if I should give away the tip, as too much attention to this spot might spoil its beauty (like it has already happened in Kemer), but since it’s mentioned already...

While admittedly steeply priced for the Turkish market, the place does offer a location right on the beach (most other places are either on the other side of the road, or further inland) with breathtaking views onto the mountains that flank the bay, a large garden in which various peacocks live, designer-styled rooms, free wi-fi, garden and beach lounges with fixed umbrellas, and restaurant with a (short) menu with tasty local and international food – a perfect place for a few relaxing days in a semi-luxurious environment.

Contrary to earlier postings I have not been ill at all from eating the food in the restaurant – I was rather pleasantly surprised that it was better than the normal fare found in other Turkish hotels. I also found the lack of a TV rather unimportant – I hadn’t come to Turkey to watch TV… instead I rather appreciated the free wi-fi access in the common areas; an extra would be if that was extended to the rooms, but I have not found that in too many hotels anywhere in the world, either. Staff spoke English (and one German as well), and were always there and happy to help with everything I asked for – no bad experience there, either.

A small downside – apart from the prices – is the apparent shortfall of maintenance of parts of the gardens; while the rooms are clean, the paths in the beautiful garden are not kept as well-maintained as one would hope (don’t get me wrong, though – it’s not horrible, just not as crisp as one would expect for the price), and there were some defects in the installations (for example I had a crack in the door to my bungalow, and my showe door wouldn't close fully) without any obvious measures being taken to repair them. Maybe it was just the fact that I was there in pre-season, and the staff was only starting up – perhaps other visitors can report on that. The rooms, however, were very clean, and neither my fridge nor my shower were mouldy – in fact they were in perfect state.

Another word of warning: As usual in Turkey, it is not possible to completely darken the rooms (the curtains are only translucent); an added quirkiness comes from the peacocks cawing from sunrise to sunset, and both together make adapting your sleeping habits to the daylight hours recommendable, if not essential (very healthy, though – these hours offer the best sleep, and if you have come to Cirali for partying you have come to the wrong place anyway).

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, and look forward to returning (this time a few more days).

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank KasoViajero
Istanbul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2008

I really cant understand you people. Olympos Lodge was one of the greatest places I've ever been to. You are right, its not a concrete building like Hillside Su with a plasma screen in your room. Its pure nature, great service and I loved the mediterranean food. And coming from a busy city life and an exhausting job Olympos Lodge just gave me a great opportunity to relax. Yes, chickens and peacocks do stand by your breakfast table and wait for you to drop a piece of bread but i rather found that funny and nice than annoying. I recommended Olympos Lodge to many friends and those who went loved it. Its just great lying in a hammock, having a cool drink (that is brought to you) and listening to subdued music or reading a book. I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank diamond08
South East
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2008

My husband and I chose this 'paradise getaway' for the first few days of our honeymoon...what a huge mistake. Alarm bells should have rung as no pictures of the lodges are avaiable in any brochure or website. When we arrived i have to admit that I cried, the lodge was awful, just a bed, chair, rusty fridge and mouldy shower. For the hideously expensive price you pay, i would expect far, far more. The waiters were rude and abrupt and tried to overcharge us at every opportunity for drinks, food etc. The place is over-run with dogs, cats, chickens, geese etc and they bother you at every opportunity; the chickens even jump up at your breakfast table and are free to roam in and out of the kitchen and eating areas. The stench of animal faeces in the searing heat is unbearable. There is absolutely nothing to do here, no decent places to eat and is such a waste of a lot of money. Thankfully we only stayed for four days and then went onto Hillside Su hotel in Antalya which was fantastic. Please please do not waste your money or your time on this disasterous excuse for an 'exclusive resort'.....

Stayed August 2007
10 Thank Shrinkie
Sussex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2008

Don't be taken in by the brochure of this hotel. A tranquill paradise it is not. Animal mess everywhere, staff who will not speak to you, and rooms that leave a lot to be desired. The food was awful and made my wife and I both ill. Also the other restraunts within walking distance are only slightly better. Added to which drinks were added to our bill that were never ordered or drank. The animals that rome the place are in an awful state and squabble for your food. If you value your hard earned cash do not visit this resort otherwise you will regret it. My wife and I were so dissapointed we complained to the agent, Elixir, and they have been particularly unhelpful and taken 3 months to reply to our letters.

• Liked — when the taxi transfer arrived to take us away.
  • Disliked — animal cr*p all over the pavements, and in the grass. Waiters who grunt, rather than smile and say hi...
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank Fairweather76