“Warm family atmosphere, with an excellent restaurant.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dalyan
Prince of Caunos Hotel
Ranked #54 of 67 Dalyan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Well located at the relaxed end of the harbour. but only a short walk from the bright lights and bustle. Friendly staff, spacious and comfortable rooms. Restaurant well worth a visit even if you are not staying.

• Stayed: September 2011

Reviewed 23 August 2011

Returnees to Dalyan and this hotel despite looking around before making our choice. Still found it amazing and hard to beat. We spent a blissful week, not long enough, relaxing by the pool. Children happily pottered around, in the company of some other kids who were also guests. They had their own DVD in the room for some quiet time when needed. Rooms were impressive. We took a suite for the kids and had a double adjacent for ourselves. Water was always hot, at anytime of the day despite being solar. Sun beds plentiful. View great. Location superb. Hotel restaurant highly rated. Breakfasts typically Turkish with some added extras such as cooked to order pancakes. If you want loud and lively probably not the place for you, although loads on the doorstep but perfect for families, those with children, those who are happy to swim, do some day trips, explore markets,

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We booked this Hotel on the recommendation of our Travel Counsellor, who said that it was a small and unique hotel which was great for a weeks relaxation. Having spent a fabulous week there we would say that was a really good description.

We arrived very late at night, having a 2 hour delay at the airport, to find that we were greeted with a really warm welcome from the staff (who had obviously waited up just for us) . After a quick tour of the room we had a really good nights sleep on the comfortable beds and heard no noise or disturbance from outside the hotel.

The bedrooms could do with a bit of attention, but they were clean, well equipped and comfortable, as was all the hotel. After the first day or two the slightly dated atmoshere only adds to its charm.

Breakfasts were pretty standard, but with enough variety to have something different each day - including eggs cooked anyway we asked. We ate at the hotel on a couple of nights - again don't expect Cordon Bleu and you won't be dissapointed!! the Lamb Tandir on Wednesday was my husbands favourite meal of the week!

From start to finish of the holiday the staff were great - hardworking, ever-cheerful, polite and always helpful. Nothing seemed to be any trouble for them and the response to any request was always 'you're welcome'.

In all we had a great weeks holiday, and would certainly go back for another stay at the Prince of Caunos in Dalyan.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JackRugby
Reviewed 2 January 2011

We were 4th time repeat guests and the hotel and all Dalyan has to offer continues not to disappoint. We had two front suite rooms which were extremely spacious. Children happily pottered around the hotel -definitely for children who enjoy the pool as very hot. Would recommend dvd player or such for children. Hotel food was excellent and in such a great location short stroll to numerous bars restaurants etc.,.Very friendly staff. Excellent service.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank johnnyandcath
Reviewed 17 November 2010

Some friends and I all managed to get ourselves in a mixup during a recent holiday to Dalyan. We booked our own hotels, thinking we were all booking the same place. Due to the many similar hotel names we actually ended up in a few different hotels... which was comical once we figured out what had gone wrong. I guess you could call it one argument in favour of booking through an agent!

I stayed at the Prince of Caunos and I must admit that my choice of hotel was an accident. But thank goodness for lucky accidents... because thanks to the manager (Yavus) and the rest of the staff, my stay was the best of the entire group of friends!

Prince of Caunos is classified to be a 4* hotel. By British standards however I would recommend that any star ratings are lowered by approx. 1 star for the general area of Dalyan Turkey. It's a completely different type of lifestyle there, earthier, warmer, and more home-grown... which is what makes it so lovely to visit. But in return the traveller needs to give up their preconceived idea of what consitutes luxury.

The Prince of Caunos is a great example of this Dalyan cultural hotel rating...

First impressions of the hotel if you are dropped off by a coach/taxi are of a simple apartment complex in a dusty residential street. But you'll not see the hotel from this vantage point again, until the coach comes to pick you up at the end of your holiday. From this point on, you will exit the hotel every morning, cross the attractive pool area, spot the overstuffed cushioned chairs in the outdoor restaurant, as you discover yourself right on the waterfront, with a spectacular view of the Dalyan River and Tombs.

And no matter what time you get back to your hotel at night, you'll find either Yavus, or another member of staff, waiting for the last guest to arrive back. It's not quite the same as the impersonal but efficient nature of the British 24 hour reception desk. This hotel is actually staying up to make sure every guest arrives home safely. It's a sign of the genuine warmth that will greet you during your entire stay at the PoC.

The ground floor area of the Prince is generally taken up with reception area, indoor dining area and kitchen, with a small office area in the rear. The first floor is where most of the guest rooms are... all of which (except one) are double/twin suites. The rooms are fully tiled and many have 2 balconies (one in bedroom, one in living room). The 'single' room has 2 single beds and a balcony, but no living room. All rooms have TV, phone, minibar and ensuite facilities (with enclosed shower).

On the top (2nd) floor are 2 enormous suites, one is a twin and the other is a family suite with a double and 2 twin beds. There is even a cot for baby if needed. The top rooms have exposed ceiling beams and have been built into the roof of the building, so are not as sound proofed as the rooms below. Typical sounds to be heard will include the morning call for prayer (every morning at 6am), and the nearby nightlife which tends to die down by 12ish, perhaps a bit later in the peak summer season.

On the 1st floor, there if far more sound proofing. My room was at the rear/left of the 1st floor and I heard absolutely nothing of nightlife, prayers or anything. Perhaps the odd dog barking now and then, but nothing ever woke me up.

Breakfast was a buffet which included eggs (cooked any way you like), cereals, yogurts, bread and cheese pastries, olives, cooked tomatoes and mushrooms, pancakes, sweet and savory nibbles, honey, jams, bread/toast, tea and coffee. Enough to give you a different breakfast most days.

Most guests like to sit outside by the pool to eat breakfast, and tables with stuffed cushions and tablecloths are set up for that purpose. You will be surprised to see that the same people who stayed up to wait for you to come home from drinks the night before, have also woken up super early to make sure you enjoy a nice breakfast... and they will be smiling and still so happy to see you.

There are quite a few stray cats and dogs in Dalyan and you may make a few friends during breakfast. In particular I found a black cat so persistent for what I first thought was his/her desire for food... but it later turned out all he/she really wanted was a cuddle... it's endearing, but also sometimes a little annoying. Sorry, but there is nowhere in Dalyan to avoid the strays, no matter how much you pay or where you stay... so it's better to simply show up with a love of animals and the patience and generosity to recognise that times will be very lean for them (and food scarce) once tourist season is over... You are almost guaranteed to fall in love with one of the dogs... and go home to Britain broken hearted from leaving it behind...

The pool is a nice size and sheltered from the river walk. In peak summer months there is plenty of sun, but later in the year (around October), the days are shorter and the pool doesn't get sun after around 4pm. This is not an issue in Summer...

Hot water seems to be reliant on a solar system, which during my visit never failed. Even during the rainy days. But it should be noted that solar is the preferred heating method for all of Dalyan, so there may be times in any hotel where you may have to ask management to turn the override system on. At the Prince, the overrun system will take 15 minutes to heat the entire hotel's water in the event the solar system does not generate sufficient hot water.

Back to the food (my favourite subject). The Prince's outdoor restaurant has the most comfortable cushioned chairs in all of Dalyan. And their Clay Pot Lamb (cooked for 6 hours in a sealed clay pot) is known to be the best in the entire town.

I tested this theory by ordering the Clay Pot Lamb in 4 different restaurants... and can confirm that the Prince's was bar far the most tender, generous and delicious. Rather than cube the lamb as most restaurants do, the Prince's lamb was kept whole and on the bone, which increased its tenderness. It was deboned before being served...

Drinks run at the usual price for Dalyan. Local beer (small) about 4 TL. Large around 5 TL. Wine about 5 TL. Cocktails... I tried a few but have been spoiled by USA travels, so didn't really enjoy them (around 10 TL).

The Prince is located in the most ideal spot of Dalyan, in terms of nightlife and noise levels. It is the very first hotel in the town centre, which means that you never need to enter the secluded, darker areas. But because it is right on the fringe, it is also one of the most peaceful of the town centre hotels. I found the location to be unbeatable...

It was sad to leave and after my stay I began to feel as though I was staying with family. Every day the room was left spotless, and generally with a nice little surprise on my bed in the form of flowers, or a funny little towel-design. The room was comfortable and although Dalyan has a lot of mosquitoes, I found that if I sprayed the room before I left for dinner, upon my return it was bug free and I could survive the holiday without any bites.

The entire hotel has satellite TV, so there are about 100-500 channels on the box, depending on which room and how it has been channel searched (you can do it yourself with the remote). But I only found 3 channels in English... one was BBC World and the other two ran well known USA sitcoms and movies.

The hotel has a very healthy-looking guest book at reception, which includes photos and messages of previous guests. It is easy to see from skimming through the guestbook that I am only one of hundreds of people who have lovely things to say about the hotel and its staff.

It was a lovely hotel... with friendly helpful staff and a simple, honest philosophy of customer service. I always keep in mind that the people working in the hotel do not own it... they work incredibly long days for around 9 months of the year... and then catch up on their rest for the other 3 months. When I stayed at the Prince, Yavus showed me a photo of his son (around 2 years old) who he hardly saw until winter... and I was reminded of how important his job is to him, which is probably one of the reasons why I was made to feel so welcome.

Regardless of my holiday budget... or what I can afford... I would return to the Prince because I would know that I would enjoy it.

As at October 2010, the price for a single occupant was 75 TL (£35) during peak summer period, and 60 (£25) TL during fringe season.

• Stayed: October 2010
7  Thank whatevertraveller
Reviewed 8 September 2010

Great place in Dalyan - a couple of minutes from the centre and all the better for it - just right if you want to be close, but not too close, to the many bars and restaurants that you will find here.
This place has the feel of a family run hotel, so the service is friendly and informal, but still efficient. The staff are great, particularly Ahmed and Uston - you will not be short of company here!
The restaurant is as good as most other places in town, and the terrace is a good place to watch the world go by.
The pool is good, too - better than most others that we could see in town.
We would stay here again if we were to return to Dalyan.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank SandKP
Reviewed 30 June 2010

i have just spent two weeks in The Prince of Caunos Hotel in Dalyan................... if you read any negative reports on this hotel i do not know what that person must have expected. Small and friendly hotel, staff could not do enough for us, food wonderful, location superb. cleanliness of a very high standard, rooms cleaned every day, the cleaning lady took so much pride in setting out the towels in different shapes every day and on one occassion covered our beds in orleanda. i would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone and hope that i will go back soon
enjoy