“Second time in the Dolunay”

Villa Dolunay Apart Hotel
Reviewed 15 October 2011

This is our second time at the Dolunay and that, I hope, tells you that we love the place. I was amazed at the few people there who had not been there before who had criticisms. I asked them if they knew how much they’d paid for the privilege of staying there and they had no idea as they had booked a package holiday. When I told them it was probably around £100 a week, for two people, in a one bedroom apartment (in September), give or take £30,with a light daily clean, clean sheets every three or four days, clean towels every two or three days, and a pool, they were quite taken aback and changed their thoughts. It’s the flights that cost the money, and the package holiday companies take a whack too. So stop criticising excellent accommodation for the price you pay. The accommodation cost us around £330 for three weeks in September, and that to me is extremely good VFM. Oh, and it also amazes me how people who have never done self-catering before expect washing up liquid, tea towels, etc., supplied!!!

Our apartment was spotless when we went into it. The apartments are quite basic, and it varies a bit from apartment to apartment if you have a two or four ring hob, and electric kettle, etc., but comfortable enough, with a few rickety things. However, if you bothered to mention these things they were sorted out. As I find in most self-catering apartments there is just never enough drawer space! Shower worked well, constant hot water and no leakage. The pool area is kept very clean, although the pool this year, for a few days, went a greenish colour, but IT WAS NOT SLIMY as someone else reported. The pool man was in daily checking it and when we left it was greatly improved. We never had any bother using the pool every day and no-one was ill. Plenty of sun beds but still towels on beds and no-one there!

Air-con was £8 a day, which is pretty pricy, but you don’t have to take it. We did and it worked well. Safes cost £10 a week and are in the Reception area, which isn’t as convenient as having one in your apartment.

The food at the apartments is good and much the same price as eating out. Regulars will be pleased to know that Buddy is alive and kicking and still following you right into town, sitting at your table and then showing you the way home!

There are only 16 apartments so the place is small and friendly. We met up with two great couples we met last year (Alison and Kevin and Edna and David), and we also met other lovely folk too. Maureen and John were our next door neighbours (hope your foot recovered M) and I’ve to say something nice about them as they will be going into Trip Advisor to view my review!! Lovely couple and it would be great if they returned next September, as we are returning then. Stuart was another nice person who took over feeding “my” mamma cat and her two kittens (hope you got the computer sorted out), and I must also mention Isobel and Barry who were also cat lovers. Strange, but a tin of ordinary cat food was around 4TL and a whole cooked spit chicken was 6TL, so “my” cats got the chicken (with a little tinned cat food mashed in). We also had the chicken and it was really tender.

Sin Kov is a must as the mozzies like to attack new blood! I mixed some in with my sun tan lotion and then at night it was mixed in with my after sun and after a few days I was rarely bitten. Take anti-histamines as they help to stop itching.

The 12 Island Tour with Yesil is a must. Not cheap but there’s never any more than 22 on the sail boat and the mattresses are GREAT. You are waited on hand and foot. Tab at the bar for drinks, and they’re standard prices.

Lovely walks up and down the river and the Mud Baths on the other side of the river at Dalyan are fun. Restaurants - I’m going to write separate reviews, but the Aubergine, Pop-In, and Cagri’s spring to mind at present.

The bus to the Turtle Hospital end of Iztuzu Beach only takes about 20 minutes, costs 14TL return, and I think it’s a nicer end of the beach - not so touristy!!!!!! It has changing rooms, a café (standard prices), toilets, and the sun beds are 9TL for the day.

For those of you who love cats and dogs, PLEASE do as I’m doing and start putting your 5ps, 10ps or 50ps in a jar and make a donation to the Dalyan Animal Shelter. Just google it. They are trying their best for the waifs and strays but money is needed to feed them, especially throughout the winter months, get medical treatment for them, and neuter them.

Enjoy your stay at the Dolunay and think about what you paid for your accommodation before you criticize. The Ritz costs a bit more.

5  Thank EALFife

Reviewed 12 October 2011

We had no problems at all after having spent the past week there.We wanted a cheap place to stay in a good location for us this means quiet but close to town.It's about 10 minutes walk away from town,very quiet at night.No need for air con for us as it was cool enough in the apartment at night.Our last 3 days were blighted with rain and storms,but we still enjoyed our break.
There were only 2 of us so the apartment was adequate in size.
We only paid £64 for the 2 of us for 7 nights stay,so we knew it was hardly going to be 5 star accomodation it was a real bargain at that price.
The staff were really helpful as well.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Stayed here for two weeks in sept.

Good points
Rooms kept spotless.
Shower good.
Quiet location.
Gardens kept well.

Not so good points
Bedroom tiny.
Child size single beds.
Air con useless, noisy & expensive (£8 per day)
Filthy pool
Owners child noisy beyond belief for hours on end.

I know this is a budget hotel & if you have booked it you will be fine, but all the bad points above out weighed the good points for us. The price if the aircon was outrageous, especially when it was not efficient. The owners children were very noisy at times & I know it's the way of us british to pretend that we love kids when abroad, but I found them annoying when I wanted to relax around the pool. However in the end as the pool turned very green; a problem which seemed beyond the owner to rectify, no one sat around the pool except the diehard dolunay regulars......

The owner was pleasant enough when he needed to interact with you, but he never really interacted with his guests.... Odd really if you would like guest to return.

Also there are further reviews for this hotel on the main hotel review section.
I have put pics up of pool & apartments.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Stayed for 1 week in Sep. On arrival we were speechless at the tiny apartment as on-line the description was spacious. Told the air conditioning was £8 per night which we think was far too much as this was a budget holiday, held out for 2 nights but then reluctantly paid the charge. Our air conditioning worked well no problems with it except it was right over the bed so was quite noisy at night which is obviously when you need it most. Felt it would have ben better in the living area as the apartment was so small it would have kept the bedroom cool as well with no problem.
Agree with another reviewer that the pool area was pleasant and clean but the pool itself had green slime around the edge and needed a good clean, which was a shame
No shallow end, I am 5ft 4 ins and could not stand up so maybe not good for small children.
Pretty, well kept gardens. Very quiet except for the owners family children who spent a lot of the day there and, being children were at times quite noisy, could hear them clearly from your balcony.(a bit annoying when you wanted a bit of peace)
The apartments were described as basic which they were but ours was spotlessly clean and kept clean all week.
We were lucky and had a full size double bed (others not so lucky) though this did take up most of the room. Person sleeping next to the window had to climb over the bed to get out as space was so tight.
We got the impression that the owner didn't seem all that interested in his guests and more or less just let you get on with it and make do with things.
Dalyan and the surrounding area was beautiful and if you want a quieter more scenic Turkey this is a lovely place to visit, very laid back but with plenty of trips available if wanted.
Have at least 1 meal at the Aubergine reastaurant, good food, good prices and staff that don't hassle you.
would definately return to Dalyan but not to these apartments as comparing the price we paid for budget accomodation plus £8 per day air conditioning we could have gone somewhere a bit less basic with air con and maybe a TV in the room (which my husband missed) for around the same price.
One last thing the Thompson rep was the worst we have ever come across, unhelpful, un professional and in our opinion a total waste of time.
If you are booked into these apartments expect them to be tiny, very basic and be prepared to sort out any little glitches yourselves.
On the plus side they are very clean, have pretty gardens, are not too far from town(easy walk), quiet (no loud music at night)
Dalyan is a truly beautiful place (visit the turtle sanctuary nearby), cheap local buses (easy to use).

Room Tip: ask for the biggest one!!
1  Thank kaz h
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We really enjoyed our stay, Gokan and Hakan and their wives were very helpful. Apartments were comfortable although a few more items in the kitchen would be useful. Very close by there is a good little shop for food and drinks and the walk into town takes max 10 minutes.

We found a fantastic little restaurant on the way into town called Altintay, the food is superb. Run by a family, Mum cooks and daughter and son in law wait in the tables. Very friendly, cannot recommend too highly.

All in all we will definitely be back, Dalyan is a nice town not yet spoiled by modern tourism, good boat trips to be had and the beach is glorious. well worth a trip by boat to the beach at least once.

Reviewed 30 September 2011

My wife and I have just returned from a week at the Dolunay and having been once before a few years ago and had a good time then we felt a bit disappointed by our experience this time. On the positive side the complex has grown and had a reception/chalet added that provides a place to shower and rest when waiting for those tedious return flight pickups and this was a very welcome extra. Food at the poolbar is good, well prepared and tasty with generous portions and compares well with the town cafes on price. The gardens are lush with flowers ,vines and the ubiquitous palm trees and the overall feel is good. However, on the negative side, the sunbed mattresses are grubby and stained and worst of all the pool was unusable for our entire week due to some green slime infection that seemed to be beyond the wit of Gokan or his team to eradicate. This pool was the only one we found that had been affected even though we were told that it was somehow related to the storm from the week before.This was a cause of a lot of concern and annoyance for the guests whilst we were there and it was quite unforgiveable that Gokan did not even offer one word of apology or explanation. Several people contacted the Thomson rep. but nothing was resolved whilst we were there. I agree also that the aircon charge is extortionate - temperatures can be in the upper 30's and unbearable at night. I could also add the lack of a grill/toaster, bottle opener, decent sized drinking glasses, ice cube tray etc. This is supposed to be self-catering after all. I also was taken aback by the TIPS envelope although I have to be fair and say that the maids were good. I don't think we'll go back and I'm sorry to say that because this is a family business and they do work hard. I just hope that they read reviews such as these and act on what they hear.

Room Tip: Rooms are allocated by the manager and seem to vary quite a bit in terms of balcony size. It seemed...
3  Thank Daisydumps
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Just returned from our 4th stay at the Dolunay.
Some minor niggles but overall an excellent value for money apartment although it would be very cramped for more than two people. Hopefully we will be booking again for next year.

2  Thank DevonianPlymouth_UK