“A fair value for money”

Fortune Royal Hotel
Ranked #15 of 19 Hotels in Fujairah
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We hadn't decided to spend the night in Fujairah until the last moment. We came across the Fortuna and were impressed at the 300aed rate. Included was complimentary wifi, which is a real bonus - and a luxury that you are charged through the roof for too often at chain hotels. We had the dinner buffet at "Freddie's" restaurant which was adequate, and we enjoyed our Long Island Ice Teas, which were mixed well. The AC unit was a little loud but that didn't hinder our sleep. The shower was modern, clean and functional. The breakfast buffet was a little disappointing, but again, good value for money as it's included within the room rate. I was impressed that they had a separate egg station! Overall, if you're only spending a night or two - the Fortuna does the job well

• Stayed: January 2013
There are newer reviews for Fortune Royal Hotel

Reviewed 23 January 2013

I stayed three nights at this hotel on a personal business trip. I got a very competitive rate including breakfast from one of the hotel booking sites. The hotel is in a very good location five minutes taxi ride from anywhere in Fujairah. The hotel offers clean rooms with free wifi, breakfast and access to.gym and rooftop swimming pool. There is also a bar restaurant, two night clubs and a massage parlour in the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mustapha B
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We chose this hotel purely for its proximity to the fishing marina across the road.

We unfortunately got off to a bad start with this hotel at check in. Lack of understanding over a Groupon voucher meant it took us around 45 mins to check in. We'd emailed them the voucher upon reservation but they couldn't find it. We then showed them the voucher on the iPad and even emailed it to them again (they have free wifi). They were only going to accept the voucher if we'd physically printed it ourselves (as they were not prepared to print it for us!!). The guy who appeared to be in charge of front desk was constantly on his mobile jibbering away in another language and made absolutely no effort to try and resolve the situation, leaving everything to the filipino lady. In the end, they discovered the reservations for that day (and all the vouchers from us and other guests) in a plastic file on the desk. I was fuming by this time. A quick and insincere apology from them and we were taken to our room.

The room was surprisingly OK, bed was comfy, flat screen TV and free wifi. Unfortunately the AC didn't appear to be controllable from the switch in the room. We were freezing all night and we even had to call the engineer after we'd gone to bed as the AC had switched itself off altogether. He seemed to know how to quickly fix it so it must be a common occurrence.

The Indian restaurant was really good! Butter chicken with raita was excellent and the waitresses were helpful & friendly.

Would I stay here again? No. I'd rather pay treble and stay somewhere with decent service and AC that works properly but for AED 300 in the UAE, I guess it's to be expected.

Room Tip: Try the Indian restaurant
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Stayed for 3 nights whilst on a dive training course. The room was comfortable, clean, and quiet. I received a free upgrade to a superior room. The restaurants were of an acceptable standard but nothing special. Very convenient locaton for Coastal Technical Divers, which is within walking distance. Car parking is free.

Room Tip: I was on the ninth floor and experienced no problem with noise from the night clubs that other revie...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank DubaiMike
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We have stayed at at the Fortune Royal twice. First of all, it is listed as a four star hotel. However, I would say most people would think of it as a two or three star hotel. The decor is a bit tacky and second rate - furniture, bathroom fittings, etc. Both times we have stayed there we had problems with the a.c. You cannot control it It was freezing in the room and the control switch in the room seemed to have no connection with the actual a.c. We tried switching it off but the a.c. kept blasting out. We mentioned it to reception and they modified it, but still, you cannot control your own temperature. There is a mini fridge, but both times we have stayed there it did not seem to be functioning, so I cannot understand why they bother to provide it.

This is the only hotel I have stayed at, whatever class, where there is no tea or coffee making facilities in the room. In the list of services we found online, it does say that this is provided in the room, but when we arrived they told us this is not provided for the standard room. The list of services is therefore, misleading. They also say they provide, for example, a bath robe. Again, when you arrive you find this is not for a standard room.

The good points are that it is extremely reasonable and if you just want a base and don't intend to spend much time in the room I would say stay here, as it can be less than a third of the price of, say, the Hilton. The location is good and you can stroll over the road to the Marina Club and even walk about 10 - 15 minutes along the Corniche and avail yourself of all the facilties the Hilton has to provide. The staff are pleasant and accommodating and it is comfortable enough. Finally, a big plus is that there is free WiFi in the room. Choose a high floor with a sea view.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I've visited more than 50 hotels in more than 20 countries, staying more than 100+ nights in hotels ranging from 3 to 5 star hotels.... I can confidently say this is my worst stay in my life! Actually this is my first bad review about a hotel, but it certainly deserves that! Unfortunately some staff including the manager are so unfriendly and the manager himself can be described as a rude person! I can't mention all the troubles I faced in this hotel as this will need pages, but it is enough to say that you have to ask for the same issue more than 5 times to get it or at least get an answer about it! For example I asked for water heater and baby coat as I arrived to the hotel at 2 PM, also I asked them to fix the air conditioning as it was not working and it was hot! After 10 minutes I left the hotel and I reminded them about these three things! Then I came back at 9 PM, found nothing fixed! So I called them, and again nothing happened! Then I had to go down and to inform them about these issues, and it was as if this is the first time they hear about what I was talking about! Then I went up and again nothing happened for another 15 minutes! So I called them, then finally decided to go down again! Surprisingly I was told there is no water heater in the hotel and there is no baby coat! I had almost a fight with them, because how come they don't have any extra baby coat since 2PM! Actually this is not the problem! Mistakes and errors happen in any hotel, but the real problem was the way the manager was talking! He was so rude and made me feel as if this is my first time in life I enter a hotel! I'd accept the situation if he calmly explain his situation and offered any accepted solution! As for the air conditioning I spent my night between extreme cold or extreme hot as the condition was not working fine! Also, the shampoo in the bathroom were used and half filled as I entered the room! Again, whenever I need any thing I have to ask for it several times until I either get it or I'm informed it is not available! Also, there was a nosy sound coming from the air condition even if it is switched off!! So Also, could not sleep well!

The only place were I felt happy was the restaurant at the breakfast where all the staff were so nice there! Definitely I'll not go back to that hotel as long as that manager is still there! Because of his bad attitude he made other staff behave like him, which simply can turn your stay to hell!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Odehjas
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I stayed with my family here during last eid holidays.The hotel was relatively new and so the room was very clean and cosy.One special mention should be made about the "Tharavadu Restaurant" in the hotel which serves authentic and tasty south indian food.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the sea
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family