“12 outta 10”

Ranked #6 of 38 Restaurants in Orewa
Price range: US$7 - US$27
Cuisines: Bar, European, New Zealand, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Situated at the heart of Orewa Beach, We have a great variety of Food & Beverages, all cooked in our own unique style we specialize in fresh seafood and steak. Bring the family along and enjoy our hospitality.
“12 outta 10”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I have experienced the Ship and Anchor on many occasions since it’s inception, as my business requires me to visit all the Bars and Restaurants in the area on a regular basis. To set the record straight right from the start, the Ship & Anchor is NOT a pub, it’s a Bar and Restaurant.

The Ship has recently changed hands and although I know all the previous owners very well (and some of the existing staff members) I have not had the privilege of getting to know the new owners as yet. However, what I have seen since the change of ownership is all good – an exciting new menu, greatly reduced beer prices and a LOT MORE local patronage than was seen previously.

Whilst having a beer there recently with friends I was lucky enough to be offered a sample piece of fish – hapuka to be precise – and it was ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! I grew up at a beach up north and have lived at or near beaches ever since, and I have eaten a LOT of fish… I was even commercial fishing for a few years… but I had never had hapuka that tasted as good as this! It really was something else! So good in fact I promptly ordered a hapuka meal after I finsihed the sample. (Giving this meal 12 out of 10 might be scoring on the low side).

I can’t really understand the last reviewer’s comment that the ‘beer was overpriced’ as the beer prices here are about the cheapest in town! They used to be very expensive (the dearest in town) but the place has changed hands since and the new owners have attracted back pretty much all the ‘lost locals’ from the past.

I'm just happy to see that the Ship is back to the ‘good ole Ship & Anchor’ as it’s one of the best locations in town with a neat atmosphere and great patrons. Looking forward to many more fine meals and cold ales here. 12 outta 10!

• Visited March 2014

Orewa, New Zealand
“Gone to bed”
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Who ever heard of a pub that is closed by 10 pm on a Friday night? Enough said except to say the beer is overpriced too.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Christopher H
chrissy k, Owner at Ship & Anchor, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Orewa is not a late night party town,Ship and Anchor is not a night club we are a restaurant/bar.It is not unusual to close if there is no clientele at that hour in Orewa. Obliviously you are not familiar with Ship and Anchor or you would know that our prices are highly competitive.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Still great”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We went back again after a fabulous experiance the first time, this time took the kids and family members. Serve was great, food presentation awesome, Large portions for the value excellant and that Beef Burger, Straight out of Texas, Big bold and oh so tasty, Had to cut in half and share with our guest so they could let the flavours mingle. Fresh seafood just the best and I persoanlly loved the gurnard fish and chips. highly underrated Fish,.
we will be back soon on another trip with others I promise.

• Visited March 2014
Auckland, New Zealand
“Good start, terrible finish.”
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

We Walked in to this resturaunt and were greeted very warmly and friendly, and the decor was nice. Unfortunately the positives finish there. The starter we ordered didn't turn up, and when our mains turned up we said we ordered a starter, but the waitress did not seem to care. Not even an apology. The burger was rubbish, too much bun with only a small amount of meat. The pasta was bland, and we had to add salt to make it taste nice. There were a few gritty pieces of chicken in the pasta. The creamy potato mash was a joke. It was lumpy and tasted old and plain.

Overall, we expected a lot walking in and ended up leaving hungry and extremely unsatisfied.

Whangaparaoa, New Zealand
“Great food”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Have eaten here a couple of times and each occasion has been pretty good. The food cannot be faulted, although I would agree with other reviews that the portion size is somewhat large, however I hardly think this is a criticism. Nice friendly atmosphere too, as well as the staff being super friendly. Every time we've been here as well it has been packed so I would advise booking.

• Visited February 2014