Edgewater Motel
US$131
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsbeach frontthe water's edgebit datedshopping centrelawnstrolldesk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Location, location, location. Beautiful spot on one of greater Auckland's very popular beaches. Sadly the units are basic and dated, and are not in any any way up to this fabulous spot. Our unit was spotless, no complaints there, housekeepng staff did a great job.

But given the location!, all that could be forgiven. What can't was the extreme lack of manners by the male manager, while I was paying for my room. Basic 101 customer service, and especially in the hospitality industry, is that you you want your customer to leave feeling valued as a paying guest. On checkout, I waited at the counter while he chatted to another male (I thought a customer). Finally he turned to me. I gave him my key, he looked at his sheet, said that would be $200. I handed over my credit card, and he turned back to the male still standing at the counter and continued his conversation with him. Turns out this male was in fact a passing friend in for a chat. At that point I actually said to them "Excuse me, but I am a paying customer here." His friend then said, "I'll be off now" and moved away. The manager handed back my credit card and a receipt. No "did you enjoy your stay? or "was everything up to your expectations?" or even "we would love to see you back again".

Why do I care? Why should he have asked those questions? Because they are the very basics of assuring your guests leave, feeling valued, their custom appreciated. AND, in my case, my daughter had had her wedding there the day before, her guests had booked most if not all his units, and he knew that I was her mother. And if he had forgotten, it was written on my booking. If paying attention and making pleasantries, to paying guests is not your calling, then neither is managing (and fronting) a motel. You didn't spoil my weekend, nothing could have. I will just never recommend you, nor return.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Trish D
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Whilst the location of this motel is excellent, one can walk onto the sandy beach, and the motel is only a short drive from the town and its restaurants, we shared our room with unwanted visitors, Ants, and loads of them!!

After a long drive we checked in, and dumped our bags and went out of a meal. It was only on returning for a cup of coffee at 22.00, sat at the kitchen "bar", that we spotted the little black ants crawling over the kitchen surfaces. It was too late to do anything then, and the following morning the proprietor offered a NZ$10 reduction, very generous, we did not think! He also suggested we had brought them with us in our luggage, having already admitted that they had had a problem in another room.

Hopefully he has cured the problem, as the location is excellent.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the beach end of the property are better, but this was where the ants were!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bob H
Reviewed 22 October 2011

We made a last minute booking for us and our 2 children to stay as a treat.
We arrived and the lady at the desk was really friendly. We went into our "bach" and I was pleasantly surprised, The motel was a bit older than a lot in the area but that added to the charm. The room was fantastic, it had that bach on the beach feeling from when I was a child. A really warm, inviting feeling, almost like the room was giving you a hug.
Later on we asked the man at reception advise on suitable family restaurants and he was really helpful, we ended up having a great dinner. A nice peaceful sleep later we left.
My favourite thing about this motel is the cleanliness though, I can't and won't tolerate a room that is unclean and my very eagle was impressed with crisp cleanliness of the whole place.
We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2011

What a disapointment, unit was well located, but found no Spa Pool which was why we chose this motel. Toilet wouldn't flush away the solids ( took 18 flushes) Couch was like sitting on the floor and useless. Mattress poor quality, Wallpaper peeling and paint flaking. We felt when paying $145 a night we would get a reasonable motel. We spoke to the managers and we felt very sorry for them as it is up to the owners to spend the money to make this a nice place to stay. So owners get on with it and stop raking off the profits and spend some on fixing the problems before N.Z. gets a bad name for our accommodation.
We were truly disappointed in our choice of stay

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2011

We spent three nights at the Edgewater. I'd been looking for a place on the beach to recover from jet lag and a Chicago winter before we set off on our travels around New Zealand. Edgewater was perfect. It really is right on the beach, just like the photos show, and all day long you can see people walking along, playing in the waves, or just enjoying the view. The beach is firm and the water clear and warm. There's a lovely lawn, and comfy chairs and benches to sit on.
The room was clean and the bed, while perhaps not as firm as you'd find in a four star U.S. hotel, was certainly comfortable enough. As we found in all the motels we stayed in, the kitchen was well-equipped and scrupulously clean. The managers were helpful, asking the cleaning staff to get our room ready as quickly as possible when we arrived several hours before check-in and making sure we had a comfortable seat while they finished.
So what's not perfect? The bedside reading lights were obviously placed when the bed was in a different location, so they don't really work for reading in bed. And there's no wi-fi, free or otherwise. On one hand, it was probably good for me to go cold turkey for a few days at the start of my vacation. On the other hand, I did miss being in touch.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple