“Lovely Home town accommodation.”
Review of Hotel Ashburton

Hotel Ashburton
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Ashburton
Alexandra, New Zealand
“Lovely Home town accommodation.”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We were looking for a place to spend the night during a trip from our home town to Christchurch, owing to work we felt rather than a long 6 hour road journey we would travel as far as Ashburton.
The hotel is easy to find and the car parking is enormous , the check in was a pleasure , the staff were very help full and friendly, as we had our daughter traveling with us we had booked a large family room, which we found very spacious and tidy, being well away from any roads there was no noise at all, we were able to park right to the door, As i said the hotel complex is quite large and includes a restaurant , plus family bar and grill. Owing to the rugby being on in the family bar we decided to eat there, wow what a wise choice, the waitress was a real live wire, friendly very funny and took us under her care for the night, the food choice was really incredible, we had a really good night there , plus we won the rugby, i can very highly recommend the family bar to any one, i found our stay most pleasant and will certainly come back and stay again, value for money , very good.

Room Tip: They all seem very pleasant , we were on the west side
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
singapore
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

This is the first motel we stayed in during our 2 weeks NZ trip. On hindsight, it is one of the best motel experience we have, bearing in mind that this is a motel and not a hotel. The room is spacious, the motel ground is pleasant and you can get a relatively good nights sleep in it. The trampoline is entertaining for the kids. I remember this motel clearly because when we asked the receptionist where we could get Asian food, she gave us a fabulous recommendation - Charming Thai. We went into Charming Thai at 5pm (when they first open) and it was already fully booked, so we had takeaway. The food at Charming Thai was of generous portion, taste really good and reasonably priced. However, there is no service at Charming Thai. We asked for paper plat for takeaways, they couldn't provide. Also they don't do exceptions or special requests, so you just have to order strictly what's on the menu.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SingaporeNosy
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Hotel Ashburton is easy to find and located about 5 - 8 minutes drive to the main town area and the nearest Countdown supermarket. The room was a good size and the lovely surprise was the size of our twin beds, which were each large enough to fit 2 people. The hotel isn't that modern and looks a little worn around the edges, but it does serve it's purpose of a good, comfortable night's rest.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore
Reviewed 1 November 2013

- I was very sick and called to cancel my booking 2 days in advance, this hotel never picked up their call. Finally, I have to send them an email, then they pointed finger to a travel agent. When I called travel agent, the travel agent said this is controlled by hotel. It took me forever to make contact with hotel. Then they still charged me no-show and late cancellation (it sounds like that is all they care). Very disappointed. Unless you plan to go to this place with deadlock travel plan (you cannot be sick nor have any emergency :), I do not think you should try.
- After I recovered, I booked a different hotel at Ashburton and made my trip. And when I finally drove by this motor lodge, it reminded me some old rundown mining lodge. I personally feel the photos showed for this hotel are very misleading. (maybe September is not a good "season" for this hotel)

In general, I am a very easy going person and traveled around the world. Every 5 star hotels will consider when people are sick and try to cancel booking. With this bad experience, I feel I should share my experience, so any future guests can give their duly consideration.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Ashburton hotels

Newchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013

My new husband booked this hotel's 'honeymoon suite' as a surprise first night as a married couple during our recent honeymoon on the south island. He was excited to get to the room after a long drive from Picton... We were sorely disappointed.

Upon check-in we were presented with two keys with different numbers on which was confusing. When we reached our room we opened up and were hit by a smell that reminded both of us of a rest home for the elderly. It was overwhelmingly powerful. The room itself appeared to be just a standard room and the spa bath that we were looking forward to was just a standard sized bath with jets in it.

We opened the interconnecting doors to our 'other' room and found that we had paid for what can only be described as a gigantic conference room. We had absolutely no need for this space whatsover and were baffled at what we were paying this extra money for.

We went to the reception and explained that we had been expecting a larger room and a bit more of a 'wow' factor when we arrived. The kind man on reception laughed and apologised and when we said that the room smelt like an elderly care home again, he laughed and gave us a can of air freshener - which we found out we were actually charged for!!!

He was friendly and helpful and allowed us to hand back the 'conference room' key and discounted the room which is why I have given a rating of average.

Hotel itself was clean and conveniently located for our drive from Picton to Queenstown - but as a honeymoon hotel it was horribly disappointing.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Paul I, General Manager at Hotel Ashburton, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Hi
Thank you for posting your feed back on your recent stay at the Hotel Ashburton. It is always good to get feed back, whether it is postive or negative, so we can reward staff and remedy anything that is not working as it should.
I am sorry that your room did not meet your expectations. I certainly take your comments seriouisly and will look at how we can improve this room.
I am pleased you found our staff friendly and helpfull and the rest of the hotel to your satisfaction.
Once again, I appreciate you sending us your comments.
Kind regards
boyle
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Hi stayed here in october and enjoyed our stay in this hotel it was spotless and the staf were very pleasent.We had an evening meal and i have to say it was lovely.A great place to stay for anybody touring this area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Paul I, General Manager at Hotel Ashburton, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
HI
Thank you for sending us your comments. It is good to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that our staff and facilities were to your satisfaction.
I look forward to you returning to our hotel in the future.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Shower was mouldy! The water pressure was low, took me three times as long to shower. Heater didn't work until I'd switched the TV and lights off - and it was noisy enough to have kept me awake! I also couldn't find any
feedback forms anywhere in
the room.

Really friendly and warm welcoming staff though!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Nats201
Paul I, Manager at Hotel Ashburton, responded to this review, 27 May 2013
Hi
Thank you sending us your comments, it is always good to get feed back whether it is positive or negative.
I apologise that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. I will certainly look into the issues you have raised. We have an ongoing refurbishment plan in place for the hotel which will bring all our rooms up to the same standard. In the meantime we are working to eliminate as many issues as we can such as replacing aged shower sealant which gives the appearance of mould in the shower.
I am pleased that you found our staff friendly, we work hard on delivering good customer service.
Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to send your comments
Kind regards
Paul Inwood
Hotel Ashburton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashburton
Commodore Motor Lodge
#3 of 7 in Ashburton
Coronation Park
Coronation Park
#4 of 7 in Ashburton

Been to Hotel Ashburton? Share your experiences!