Hotel Ashburton
Commodore Motor Lodge(Ashburton)(Great Value!)
US$75
US$98
US$97
US$90
  • Pool
Methven Motels & Apartments(Methven)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$79
Andorra Motel(Geraldine)(Great Value!)
US$96
US$91
Hotels.com
Fourpeaks Motel(Geraldine)
US$89
All reviewsstayed herefree wififish pondpool arealovely spotgreat selection of mealsquaint hoteltwin roomsafe gardengood sized roomsnice buffet breakfastchecking ineasy accessthe main roadbottle storeclean tidyquiet location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I stayed there 3 nights early May 2014. I needed a quiet place for a sleep at night, didn't use any other facilities. For that, it was sufficient. I found the blankets a bit light when not using the electric blanket all night (which I never do) but was able to make do. I think the 3 star rating is about right, the room was a bit worn. There are little things that make it feel more like home than a stale hotel room like the fridge in the cupboard being wonky and not quite fitting with the doors shut easily, but it worked. The shower took a long time to heat up but was hot, if not high pressure. There were ample towels. I liked the option to Go Green - not have the room serviced, although I did miss getting milk for the morning hot drink. I had good, quiet sleeps (very quiet area) save for an electronic noise that ran for about an hour each night sometime around midnight, which was worse the first night when I tried to figure out what it was (never did). I used tissue to blot that out and grew to realise it was going to go off again. Check in and out went very smoothly; the staff was just-enough friendly, not overmuch. One thing that the hotel could do to stand out from other places is to invest in fitted sheets. I'm an un-tucker and fitted help keep the bed neat when refitting the bed clothes for a "loose" sleep.

Room Tip: I had a room with 2 double beds. My husband joined me the last night I was there and we both needed a good night's sleep - glad to have the 2 beds. There was also a small desk and chair, wall heater which warmed the room up quickly and each bed had 2 electric blanket switches so each side could be controlled. May is autumn here so a little heat was needed and av available.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The organisers of the Braided Ribbons Quilting Symposium had booked all out-of-town tutors into the Hotel Ashburton for 5 nights, one room per tutor. I was in room 406 and it was very pleasant and roomy with 2 beds. The bed was very comfortable, heating was excellent with a heat pump. The only gripe I had was the limited choice of TV channels, no Sky.

Breakfast was included and this was excellent. On a couple of nights a group of us tutors ate in the hotel, the first time in the restaurant (Friday), the second time in the bar (Sunday) as the restaurant wasn't open. In the restaurant I had soup of the day as the entree and it was almost a meal in itself. I had a medium serving of roast beef and vegetables as my main, and it was enormous, but very tasty. A friend had this meal on the Sunday and it was not nearly as good with the meat not as tender. I had salmon and it was not such a big serving and in fact I was still hungry afterwards so had dessert which was free! The wait staff were all very pleasant and helpful.

I did feel the staff on reception could have been better - a bit casual, and as the first people one saw on arrival, they didn't give the best impression.

The only other drawback in my stay was the fact that my room was not ready when I arrived at 1.45pm, and I had to go elsewhere for lunch, as I didn't fancy the turf bar, while they finished the room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed here last October for two days while waiting to join our tour operator and very good value for money. Hotel staff were very helpful and friendly which makes the stay even better. Food was excellent and plenty of it, get a bus into town and go to the air museum its really good.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Room 108. Stayed one night only. 2 double beds, room large enough. Clean & tidy. Heating in room.Bathroom; shower head lousy, shower over bath, water pressure could be improved.
Good dinner in hotel, GF food available for dinner & breakfast.

Room Tip: All rooms seem the same.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We were looking for a place to spend the night during a trip from our home town to Christchurch, owing to work we felt rather than a long 6 hour road journey we would travel as far as Ashburton.
The hotel is easy to find and the car parking is enormous , the check in was a pleasure , the staff were very help full and friendly, as we had our daughter traveling with us we had booked a large family room, which we found very spacious and tidy, being well away from any roads there was no noise at all, we were able to park right to the door, As i said the hotel complex is quite large and includes a restaurant , plus family bar and grill. Owing to the rugby being on in the family bar we decided to eat there, wow what a wise choice, the waitress was a real live wire, friendly very funny and took us under her care for the night, the food choice was really incredible, we had a really good night there , plus we won the rugby, i can very highly recommend the family bar to any one, i found our stay most pleasant and will certainly come back and stay again, value for money , very good.

Room Tip: They all seem very pleasant , we were on the west side
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family