“Great place”

Parklands Motor Lodge Timaru
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Timaru
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Lovely unit - perfect for breaking up the trip. Handy to the eateries, clean and great service. Plenty of room for the three of us and our boy loved the spa and Sky Tv. Was a last minute booking which was no problem for the owners. Had thought that being on the main road would make it noisy but didn't hear any traffic noise at all.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Having left my bookings for the place I usually stay at in Timaru a little too late, and travelling with a dog, the range of alternative options began to diminish until I "discovered" Parklands Motor Lodge (which some others had warned me away from because of traffic noise). However, I thought I would at least give it a try, and I am so glad I did.
On arrival, I not only received very friendly service, and equally helpful information about where I could exercise the dog, but also found out they had the same dog breed (Golden Retriever) as me. I was also escorted to my room, and advised how to operate the television, which was much simpler than most, but still managed to mangle by pushing the wrong button. The owner was very patient though, and sorted me (and the television) out again.
The room was well laid out and spacious, with separate kitchen and bathroom areas. Loved the recycling initiatives. Also loved the location of the room (which I am going to keep a secret, since I want to ask for it again next time I am there). There was NO traffic noise. In fact, the only noise heard was a rather noisy group of people next door early in the evening only.
Very conveniently located near shops and eateries, and well located for those wishing to take a good stroll on to Caroline Bay.
To those who have dismissed it in the past, I say "humbug". To myself I say, given the comparison of costs with where I usually stay, the Parklands Motor Lodge might just find themselves having a regular return visitor.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Debbie K, Owner at Parklands Motor Lodge Timaru, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear Fellow Golden Retriever owner-Many thanks for your review which we really appreciate. (Nice to know that we can please some of the people some of the time!!) We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Parklands and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

This was a stopover point for us at the end of our New Zealand holiday as we made our way from Queenstown back to Christchurch. We were greeted by a very lovely lady who personally showed us to our room. The heater had been turned on prior to our arrival and the apartment was nice and warm. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers. Ours was a two bedroom apartment and perfect for one night. The unit was extremley clean and well maintained. Yes the decor is dated but as far as I am concerned cleanliness and staff attitude is what is most important and this place could not be faulted in either area. Thank you for an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Debbie K, Owner at Parklands Motor Lodge Timaru, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Hi Simone

Thank you for your review and your positive comments. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will consider staying with us again on your next trip to NZ.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

We were travelling as a large family (4 adults and 2 kids), we were squashed into a small room with one queen size bed and three singles, umm there were 6 of us, when this was pointed out the man gave us another duvet and a pillow and told us just to use the couch as well, We were a bit disappointed to say the least, seen as when we booked 5 months prior and again when we rang to confirm that there was adequate bed spaces for ALL of us .Although the stay was ok, i really was dissapointed with the room.

The decor also needs some updating and there was alot of dust on the lampshades and picture and a few cobwebs hanging from the ceiling. The cups in the kitchen are badly stained and required a lot of scrubbing. Because you are classified as a 4 star i was expecting a lot better. Don't think we will stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank daknibbsklan
Debbie K, Owner at Parklands Motor Lodge Timaru, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Having read this review I was left doubting that this guest (sorry don't know who you are from the username) and family actually stayed at our motel because of the inaccurate comments made. I would like to respond to the following:

1. "we were squashed into a small room with one queen size bed and 3 singles" - At Parklands we do not have one room with this bedding configuration. If a family of 6 wanted to stay here all together they would be booked into a two bedroom unit. Being an older motel all of our units are spacious with full kitchen facilities and large bathrooms with spa baths and separate showers.

2. "the man gave us another duvet and a pillow and told us just to use the couch as well" - I am a female and the person who has contact with our guests. When guests check in I personally escort them to their accommodation, explain the features of the rooms and how everything works and ensure that they are happy. I also advise them to see me if they have any problems or concerns during their stay.

3. Comments made about the cleanliness were surprising as the majority of our guests are very complimentary about our high standard of cleaning. The housekeeping staff here are extremely hard working and thorough. Their efforts are rewarded by the many positive comments made on the various review sites.

4. "Because you are classified as a 4 Star I was expecting a lot better" - This classification is not determined by us it is awarded by Qualmark for our facilities and services.

5. Having read many of the other reviews that you have made regarding your trip around the South Island, the one about Robbies Timaru was interesting. "we saw a menu at the motel we were staying at and thought it sounded good" - We do not have and have never had any menus for this restaurant at our motel.

Finally I would like to say that if you consider the points raised this guest did not stay at Parklands and has confused us with another property, or is a very good storyteller.

Reviewed 23 February 2013

Parklands Motor Lodge is an older motel but has been very well maintained. Excellent kitchen facilities (although we ate out) and lovely clean, comfortable bedding. The general cleanliness couldn't be faulted. The owner is delightful and was very helpful.
Well situated within a short distance to a supermarket, restaurants and take aways.
We would certainly stay again - Value for money.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Debbie K, Owner at Parklands Motor Lodge Timaru, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Thank you so much for your review of our motel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will consider staying with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 19 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed a night here. Room was spacious, very clean and comfortable. Decor quite dated with apricot coloured walls but everything we needed. Great recycling of rubbish. Close to supermarket and various dining options. Only down side is the traffic noise when it came time for sleeping. Couldn't get to sleep and it woke me early. Good if working, but not if on holiday.

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you for your review.
Parklands is an older style motel and we are well aware that the décor is dated. We are in the process of refurbishing the units having redecorated 6 of the 14. We are removing the peach coloured wallpaper and replacing it with paint in neutral colours.
It was a shame that you were bothered by the traffic noise considering that you were in the unit furthest away from the road. This is one of the downsides of our location sometimes although for a lot of our guests this is not a problem. Suppose it depends on what you are used to and how well you sleep.

Reviewed 2 February 2013

Although the stay was comfortable, i really was dissapointed with the room. I think the decor needs some updating and there was alot of dust on the lampshades and pictures. I spotted a couple of cobwebs on the ceiling. Your cups in the kitchen is badly stained and was off putting to me. Because you are classified as a 4 star i was expecting better. Don't think i will stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013