“Good value for money”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Timaru
12 White Star Motel
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Timaru
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This motel was conveniently located, quiet and clean. We thought it was good value for money. The proprietor was pleasant and helpful.

We were there on a very cold night and there was a fan heater with a timer so it got cold. Heat pumps would make a difference.

I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
graber12, Owner at 12 White Star Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you very much for your review. I am happy to now tell you that I have had the timers taken off the scope heaters, and that we now have two units with heatpumps.. Thank you again

There are newer reviews for 12 White Star Motel

Reviewed 14 April 2013

Stayed two nights here recently and I thought it was great. The motel doesn't pretend to be more than it is -just a nice homely and very QUIET place to stay in a good location. I found the bed very comfortable, good facilities, nice green surroundings. The heating worked well, not that it was very cold. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Bathroom was clean and modern, kitchen had everything we needed. Some of the furniture was a little old but prefectly comfortable. I have stayed in Timaru before and had to vacate because of traffic noise. This motel was one of the quietest I have ever stayed in. Thank you.

Room Tip: Room 1 was good. Can't vouch for others. All are away from the street.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
graber12, Owner at 12 White Star Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2013

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. Bernadette

Reviewed 21 March 2013

We stumbled across this gem after an exhaustive trip around the South Island. My wife and I had just driven 6 hours non stop and we were tired and looking for a quiet place to stay for one night.
We were in luck. We were welcomed into the last unit available by the friendly owner. On offer was a large, clean tidy and spacious lounge room, comfortable settee, freeview tv with some sky channels , dinning table and chairs , 2 bedrooms, one with a giant bed and the other with 2 singles, modernised bathroom/toilet and a large kitchen fully equipped with all the tools and utensils required for a pleasant stay. All in all excellent value for the price we paid.
Thank you for your friendly hospitality, we shall return again should we be ever passing through Timaru.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
graber12, Owner at 12 White Star Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Thank you very much. Hope to have you back again sometime. Take care.

Reviewed 2 March 2013

I stayed at the White Star motel for 4 nights at the end of February 2013. The unit was very comfortable and clean. It was also quiet and away from the busy main road. The owners were very nice and friendly, and gave me direction to places that I wanted to visit in Timaru.

Carolyn

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Carolyn K

It was lovely meeting you, and am glad you enjoyed your stay in Timaru. All the best .

Reviewed 22 February 2013

I totally endorse the comments of Sue W - and actually neither of us are hard to please. The furniture was incredibly tired, some chairs had very stained arms, ancient tv with remote held together with electrical tape, uncomfortable bed, linen that was ancient- the list could go on. Also the hot water was dangerously hot. A quiet street, yes, but we were disturbed by the van maintainance activity that went on late outside the unit. We seriously considered relocating but as we were there for a family wedding there was not time or energy to waste on an exercise like that. We felt the personal visit to remind us of the10am vacate time on the Sunday was mean spirited as well. It's a shame the proprietor has become defensive and reactive in her response and is not able to accept legitimate and honest feedback.My partner's and my recommendation to others would be to stay somewhere else if you want better value for money.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Terence F
graber12, Owner at 12 White Star Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

First of all there are three sisters. Lets call them CINDY, SIS 1 (review 1)AND SIS 2(review 2)
Let us start at the beginning. Cindy arrived early and had two nights to get prepared for her son’s wedding on her own prior to her family arriving.
Because Snow was stressed re the white choc wedding cake she had made herself and had flown down from Tauranga, I offered to have it taken out to the wedding in the morning in our suv as it would slide easily into the boot. The boot of her rental was not a good idea. The wedding was in the country, Beaconsfield Road, I believe.
The night before the wedding Cindy had booked a unit for her two children and their partners. As that made the motel full, I had turned away other prospective guests. Late in the day I was asked for extra towels, because they wanted to sleep in with mum, I was quite entitled to ask for payment for the loss of use of a unit, but did not. I did not want to cause Cindy any more due stress, and only accepted payment from her daughters partner for three extra adults.
On the day of the wedding, and her family now with her, (her friend, Sis 1 and Sis 2 who has a partner) I received a phone call from someone saying there was a change of plans and that you wanted us to take the wedding cake, a number of you out to the wedding in the afternoon. My answer was no. I was willing to get the cake out in the morning only, as we had plans for our afternoon. One of you was able to borrow a stationwagon so all was well. It dropped oil on the driveway, but it won’t be the first to do that, and I guess not the last.
The day after the wedding Cindy was vomiting (probably stress related) and was being looked after by some of you. I offered a bucket and cleaning clothes, but these were declined. We went out for lunch with friends. I had a phone call from either sis 1 or 2 abruptly requesting to be put through to unit 2, which I said I was not able to do by cellphone, as I was not at home. I asked if you had your sisters cellphone no,. which you said you had rung but if was turned off. Once again I had a demand to be put through. When I once again, explained I could not put a call through by cellphone you put your phone down. I did not go rushing home for you. When we did go home, I left a note in Cindy’s unit, and was later told by her friend, not to worry, her sister is always raving on.
Towels. As towels were turning up all over the place, under pillows etc. I simply opted not to put good towels in units as a precautionary measure. They are all lovely and white, but I must admit in all honesty, I deliberately gave you the older towels. We found two spa towels left in Unit 2 with the label BRITTANNIA TEXTILES They are Egyptian cotton. If you google this brand, you will find that they are a company who supply the motel/hotel industry. These spa towels are the towels referred to two paragraphs down.
My lovely old sofa. I am not going to get rid of it. If I do anything with it, I will eventually get it recovered. Fabric is still in good knick, and comfortable to sit on. The two armchairs are jolly good upright chairs to sit on, with firm armrests, for people who need support getting up. The fabric on these is some sort of faux suede material, which shows every touch mark. They are wiped down after every guest leaves. Units have fabulous lighting. Great showers, roomy units, quiet setting, and open outlook. Kitchens are well equipped.
Now Cindy phoned when she arrived home to say she had left her weighing scales. I told her there was also two big white spa towels,(had not looked at the labels at this stage), makeup and a white plate (commercial looking) amongst an awful lot of left over food, cardboard, rubbish etc. She told me that Sis 1 had checked the room on departure. I was going to parcel it up for her, but had a busy few days so it was not done immediately. Cindy was asked to have the spa towels returned to her with her scales by someone else in the group. She said that these were not hers. After then reading Sis 1’s review, I emailed Cindy telling her to get Sis 1 to organise the picking up packing and payment of the above items, I said I did not want to be responsible for the packaging. It was then that I googled Brittannia Textiles.
Sis 2, thank you for your review as well. We are in the process of changing our televisions. With the new changeover we need to now have freeview I believe. Fortunately we only bought one new one a year or so ago, as with this new changeover happening, etc etc, we need to have freeview in the tv itself. One of our analogues has a universal remote, which has confused people so we opted to use a bit of tape, which I totally agree with you is not a good look. I wish to assure you this will not be the case for too much longer. That will certainly not be relevant to you, as I am sure you will not be back. Have just received an email to say my order for new tv’s have been processed.
I would have to read your review again Sis 2 but a council vehicle going past in the morning or whatever it was makes this a noisy motel? We had a fire engine go past last night, now that was noisy, but other than that I slept soundly. That reminds me the rubbish bins are emptied by council on Tuesday morning? But you left the prior day? Mind you, when Cindys friend left, I stripped her bed, leaving only the duvets in place, but these appeared to have been slept in?
Late departure. I actually cannot recall being requested for a late departure from your unit on Monday morning. I recall asking you if you enjoyed the wedding, to which you managed to mutter something with a grimace. Cindy and Sis 1 were still in Unit 2 so surely you would have been able to spend extra time with them. You weren’t referring to Tuesday were you Sis 2. Or is sis 2 really sis 1? Confusing isn’t it.
My cleaner took one and half hours to clean unit 3. Through reading your review, she has learnt why I want things they way I do. She is doing a very good job. I am often commended on how clean and tidy the units are.
When she walked into Unit 2, which was Cindys, who ended up sharing with others. She came straight back out asking if there was someone still staying in there. There was cardboard food towels etc thrown around everywhere. Not sure how long it took to clean out.
That night I had a dirty great scotch on the rocks. The following weekend I went down to visit my mother in Balclutha who has dementia. Came home to the review no. 1. Rather wished I lived in a rest home. Had another scotch.
In all, I meet a lot of wonderful people. Have to honestly say living here has been a pleasure.
Cindy, if you read this, in future, leave your sisters to sort themselves out. By all means take your friend, but take my advice and go to the ball alone.

Reviewed 20 February 2013

I travel to Timaru at least once a month and this is my preferred place to stay. Its in a very quiet location but close to the city centre and Caroline Bay, often walk to both from here.
The units are older but have been done up, the showers are the best I've seen in a motel. Its clean and comfortable. It has everything I've needed but at a very good price.
Bernadette is aleays helpful and friendly, nothing is ever too much trouble.
There are fancier places to stay, but they cost a lot more. So if you want a quiet, clean, motel close to everything, this is the place,
Andre

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 February 2013

This motel needs a serious makeover! It doesn't appear to have ever had any money spent on it since the day it was built...was a blast from the past - but not in a good way! The shabbiness of the tatty ugly old furniture & very 'tired' towels etc were a real let down. Beds v uncomfortable - especially the single ones. We had travelled from a very long distance for a special occasion and the accomodation really let us down. It was cheap & very lacking - if we had more time we would have relocated to somewhere nicer. It was like being stuck in a time warp.

Would not recommend to anyone to stay there :( Extremely budget but actually no value at all for money,

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Sue W
graber12, Owner at 12 White Star Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2013

oh dear... this person was booked in by her sister. I would have done my utmost to find her alternative accommodation if she was not happy. She was here two days without a peep. We are an older motel. Units have just been painted within the last three months. Sofa in Unit 3 is one year old, but I can assure you is not as solid as the good old originals. If she was unhappy with the towels provided, I would have changed them. Not to worry, you cannot please everyone can you?