“Had planned to stay here but following phone conversation with owner decided not to.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Bay City Motor Lodge
Ranked #13 of 16 Timaru B&B and Inns
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I just called this motel to make a reservation for two nights. I spoke to the owner and when I was going to give my credit card number he quoted me a price per night of $15 more than on their website. I pointed this out very pleasantly (I travel a lot so it's not uncommon for this to happen). He then gruffly asked me "Well how old is that website?". I was taken aback and replied "I am not sure sorry - it's your motel's website, and this is how I found out about you." The owner then said I could have a basic room for $115. I thanked him, and then asked which unit it was - I was looking at their website and there were detailed descriptions of all the rooms. He said "Just a plain and simple one. I don't know about what you are talking about, I am too busy to look at websites" in a rude and accusatory manner.
His tone had turned nasty and at that point I politely told him that the conversation was making me uncomfortable and that I had decided not to proceed with the booking.
He sounded angry at this point, mumbled something and then hung up on me.
I hope I just spoke to him in a bad moment, and he is actually very pleasant in person. A pity to have had that experience though, as I would have certainly booked.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank rachlovestravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)